baumer

The Post (2017)

Grade it  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

4 hours ago, MrPink said:

Feeling alone in disliking the final scene of the movie.

Good movie though, B+

You are not alone.

Solid craft here even if in at least 2 times the edit did seem a bit off (like a characther teleportating itself in the cut), the camera was very dynamic, a large amount of solid long take with an excellent blocking with actor's seeming at ease with them.

Loved the way many elements/exposition was made, like the actual Vietnam opening, the extraordinary nature of stopping a newspapers by the whitehouse and so on.

Definitely preferred Spotlight to it, too, that was a 9/10 or more one of the most entertaining movie I ever saw in theater, The Post was more 7.5/10, I felt is theme more over the place and the ending (multi ending) not nearly as good.

On 1/15/2018 at 8:28 PM, MrPink said:

Good movie though, B+

I disliked it, too. If they wanted that tag, I would have much preferred a scene of them hiring Woodward in 1971 (Beinstein was already with the paper).

Overall, I thought it was okay. Kind of dull. It didn’t have the tension of others like All The President’s Men Or Spotlight. Mom mentioned she would have liked more about the New York Times, and the tension / race to publish first. 

Strep was Strep. Hanks was Hanks. Spielberg was Spielberg. An average showing from them is still better than most other films, yet, still average 

Steven Spielberg’s latest film is an expertly-crafted drama that simultaneously taps into the political turmoil and high stakes of the period it depicts and draws subtle but resonant parallels with today’s state of journalism. I’ll admit that because of my part-time experience in journalism as a teenager, this material was going to be interesting to me no matter what; however, under Spielberg’s direction, what could be a dry procedural instead has quite a bit of cinematic flair in its composition, shot selection, and pacing. It’s cut with the immediacy of a thriller, which lends a further sense of urgency to already-tense conversations about journalists’ duty and the importance of utilizing the protections of the first amendment to hold the powerful to account. (Viewers who have been rankled by our current president’s attacks on the free press will find plenty of lines and references that still feel all too relevant in the present political atmosphere.) The ensemble is loaded with talented performers who each contribute something meaningful at one point or another, though Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks, and Bob Odenkirk stand out with subtle but effective work. Streep hones in on publisher Kay Graham’s struggle to assert herself in the long shadow of her late father and late husband’s legacies; though the film was shot ahead of the MeToo movement and its immediate aftermath, it still feels like an empowering performance that speaks to the challenges of breaking the glass ceiling, which are paralleled nicely and neatly with the challenge of defying the White House in the name of sharing the truth with the American public. Hanks brings his trademark effortless charm to the role, while Odenkirk has a few scenes that allow him to bring some of the fire behind his Breaking Bad performance to the big screen. If there’s any real knock I have against this film, it’s that it doesn’t quite measure up with the exceptional newsroom drama Spotlight, but it’s still a riveting piece of entertainment that has its finger both on the moment it depicts and the pulse of today’s America.

A-

Edited by Webslinger

Really good but not one of my favorites of the year. I found it kind of hard to follow at times because some of the names and locations are mentioned so quickly and then the film moves back to a conversation with Katherine and the board or Katherine and the Washington elite and then back to everything else that's going on. Like you see the name of RAND once as Daniel is sneaking out near the very beginning before that phone call that really starts everything.

It's obviously a very political film and I think it captured those elements really well....I dunno, I just wasn't as invested in this one as some of the other true stories this year like Molly's Game and I, Tonya. I also felt like Katherine's decision to do what she did felt kind of forced. As was the scene when she walked out of the courtroom and was greeted by this giant line of adoring women (and yes I got what the film was going for with how often they showed powerful men talking down to other women or seperating them into groups). Another scene that felt like Hollywood was Ben's conversation with his wife regarding Katherine. 

Some of the stuff touched on are really important topics and the story elements revolving around the press regularly being hand in hand with Washington's elite at all these parties was fascinating. The court room stuff....less so. Thought it moved too fast and brushed over Daniel's involvement of leaking the documents to the press.

Definitely a Spielberg film and Williams score was great per usual and elevated the material. Hell of a cast (I did not know that was Alison Brie until the credits).

Regarding the ending: I totally saw it coming but liked it.

B+

Edited by somebody85

On 1/16/2018 at 12:48 AM, Barnack said:

Definitely preferred Spotlight to it, too, that was a 9/10 or more one of the most entertaining movie I ever saw in theater, The Post was more 7.5/10, I felt is theme more over the place and the ending (multi ending) not nearly as good.

I also liked Spotlight a lot more than this.

18 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I also liked Spotlight a lot more than this.

After watching a Kamiński interview on it, I think he did put in words the main issue I had with it, by juggling among 3 theme not related to each other directly they all lost of their punch, all diluting each other.

Vietnam scandals and lying about it

Press and the fight over the 1st amendment with the White house.

The fact the paper was run by a woman in that era.

You can dilute the winning against the WH aspect if you split your screen time with being a woman that did it aspect and so on, while Spotlight was more all about the Boston Church scandals and the work to get it out correctly in the paper.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Barnack said:

After watching a Kamiński on it, I think he did put in words the main issue I had with it, by juggling among 3 theme not related to each other directly they all lost of their punch, all diluting each other.

Vietnam scandals and lying about it

Press and the fight over the 1st amendment with the White house.

The fact the paper was run by a woman in that era.

You can of dilute the winning against the WH aspect if you split your screen time with being a woman that did it aspect and so on, while Spotlight was more all about the Boston Church scandals and the work to get it out correctly in the paper.

Right, I agree. I thought the film moved around too much too and that's what made it kind of hard to follow. You see the main journalist calling a list of sources and getting no where, then the film moves back to Wall Street where Katherine is at a meeting with the board, then right back to him on the phone again and learning that Daniel still works there and is out of the office....etc. There's tons of scenes like that where multiple plot lines are going on at once and are incomplete (like they keep getting broken up to go to another story thread before coming back to what you were watching before).

Overall I feel like the film got it's messages across but it didn't feel as focused as Spotlight. Spotlight also had a hell of an ending with that list.

Edited by somebody85

On 1/16/2018 at 1:28 AM, MrPink said:

Good movie though, B+

Yeah agreed. But then that is always Spielberg's downfall, he CANNOT end a movie without making it happy clappy.

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

the actual last scene rules. the couple scenes before that, most especially the one where carrie coon feels like she's seconds away from turning to the camera and addressing trump by name, are bad.

Disagree because Carrie Coon is one of the best actresses working today and deserves the full attention of the GA

What movie did I watch? That was AWFUL. I spent the entire time either cringing or laughing at the ham-fisted dialogue, wigs and chintzy sets. It was like a terrible live TV production. I feel like I'm on an island here. 

The whole movie should've been Odenkirk gettin' the scoop. His solo scenes were the only ones worth a damn. I guess Tracy Letts was good too.

I'm about as liberal as it gets and a journalism major, and I didn't like this movie that much - and I LOVED Bridge of Spies. It's not bad, it just feels rushed and generic, felt like a TV movie or something. I agree with Rich that this movie wasn't pretty at all, and most of the acting was ehhhhhh outside of Streep, who brought good game. It just feels like its going through the motions. That said, as a liberal and a journalism major and a sucker for Spielberg's schmaltz sometimes, there was definitely a few rousing and powerful moments. But I forgot I even saw this. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RichWS said:

What movie did I watch? That was AWFUL. I spent the entire time either cringing or laughing at the ham-fisted dialogue, wigs and chintzy sets. It was like a terrible live TV production. I feel like I'm on an island here. 

The whole movie should've been Odenkirk gettin' the scoop. His solo scenes were the only ones worth a damn. I guess Tracy Letts was good too.

how was the cinematography though