Alli

Weekend Thread | 3-day estimates (per BOM): J 27M, TP 18.6M, TC 13.45M, I:TLK 12.14M, TGS 11.8M, TLJ 11.28M, P2 10.62M, PM 10M

26 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Yikes, Paddington might not even match yesterday's total at my theatre today. Our equivalent of 7.5M give or take for Saturday. Low 20's for the weekend. Almost half of the last movie's 40M opening here.

Fuck the domestic box office. UK knows where it's at apparently

Meanwhile, Commuter is gonna do more than our equivalent of 9M today. Damn, that's an outlier if I ever saw one. But it wouldn't surprise me if the movie sees a small increase today

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Is there really any doubt Jumanji will be #1 again next weekend with a good hold? Cause I can't see 12 Strong opening higher than around $14M or so (and as for the other opener, Den of Thieves: who cares?).

It shouldn’t have a problem holding the top spot next weekend.

Is there really any doubt Jumanji will be #1 again next weekend with a good hold? Cause I can't see 12 Strong opening higher than around $14M or so (and as for the other opener, Den of Thieves: who cares?).

Sure.
I can't see 12 Strong doing that high, also what the hell is Den Of Thieves, I have seen zero marketing for that.

I saw the Den of Thieves trailer before Murder on the Orient Express. My area gets the occasional Lionsgate Premiere trailer for whatever odd reason, so I just assumed that it was a DTV movie that somehow got into the trailer rotation until I saw it on BOM's release schedule afterward.

It seems like a perfect addition to Red Letter Media's "Fuck You, It's January!" segment.

2 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

You mean missed it in its first three weekends.

Date
(click to view chart)
Rank Weekend
Gross
%
Change
Theaters Change / Avg. Gross-to-Date Week
#
Dec 22–24 2 $36,169,328 - 3,765 - $9,607 $52,775,295 1
Date
(click to view chart)
Rank Weekend
Gross
%
Change
#
Dec 22–25 2 $55,307,881 - 3,765 - $14,690 $71,913,848 1
Dec 29–31 2 $50,051,364 +38.4% 3,765 - $13,294 $169,002,557 2
Dec 29–Jan 1 2 $66,273,753 +83.2% 3,765 - $17,603 $185,224,946 2

Date
(click to view chart)
Rank Weekend
Gross
%
Change
#
Jan 5–7 1 $37,233,653 -25.6% 3,801 +36 $9,796 $245,606,319 3

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=jumanji2016.htm

I'm just impressed that after almost a decade of appearing in close to nothing but flops, somebody still thinks it's a good idea to have Gerard Butler headline a movie. Anybody who denies "White Male Privilege" is an actual thing that exists should look no further than his career as the evidence that it does.

1 hour ago, Gamera said:

Nice to see Darkest Hour and I, Tonya doing well.

Saw I, Tonya on Tuesday and was pleasantly surprised.  Did Harding really sell the rights to this for 1500 bucks?

I honestly don't see how it misses $30m+ at this point.  

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I'm just impressed that after almost a decade of appearing in close to nothing but flops, somebody still thinks it's a good idea to have Gerard Butler headline a movie. Anybody who denies "White Male Privilege" is an actual thing that exists should look no further than his career as the evidence that it does.

I would agree, but they put 50 Cent as a lead so it sort of proves that a studio will put anyone shitty in a lead role if they were popular once.  

Saw I, Tonya on Tuesday and was pleasantly surprised. Did Harding really sell the rights to this for 1500 bucks?

Why was Harding stupid enough to ok the idea of a movie that reminds the world that she is a real life supervillain? The event has basically been forgotten and unknown to this generation, but the movie is going to call back attention to it.

3 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Why was Harding stupid enough to ok the idea of a movie that reminds the world that she is a real life supervillain? The event has basically been forgotten and unknown to this generation, but the movie is going to call back attention to it.

The movie actually shines a sympathetic light on her.

7 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

You haven't seen the movie if you made that comment.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Regardless of if she thought it could be a nice redemption because the story take her side quite a bit, filmmaker for public figure do not need to have the person ok, it is just nice for them to have it promotion wise and a collaborator/source of details.

https://www.moviemaker.com/archives/series/cinema_law/cinema-law-do-i-need-to-obtain-life-rights/

If you have the chance to be asked and to get money for it, it is nice because they really do not need to ask anyone if they are using public knowledge facts. Imagine you could not make a documentary about Madoff, David Miscavige or Spotlight without the people involved permissions.

• Thanks 1

I think Gerard Butler is hitting maybe a bottom line with box office returns to guarantee a minimum of a certain kind of platform release.  

Example, Miles Teller.  box office returns as a solo lead starts from The Spectacular Now (expanded to 770 locations and averaged only about $1,000).  Whiplash doubled Spectacular's total with less locations.  Divergent branded him for 3 years while taking on Mr. Reed in Fantastic Four.  War Dogs got a big release in 2016!  In these last 3 films, he took on different roles, and the releases all went wide.  

Miles Teller

Thank You For Your Service - 2,083 - Universal

Only the Brave - 2,577 - Sony

Bleed for This - 1,549 - Open Road Films

War Dogs - 3,258 - WB

Allegiant - Liongsate

Fantastic Four - 20th Fox

Insurgent -

Whiplash - Sony Classics

Divergent

it seems in the market where actors open movies, most actors are making different decisions other than the theatrical platform.  maybe this is some kind of booking deal actors get w/ agents etc?  Gerard Butler seems to be doing decent with this still, and it seems he has got something going on with the home market too.  Bullet to the Head, Escape Plan, and The Last Stand seemed to be the last of some of the action films with particular actors and they have not seemed to want to continue on.  If Den of Thieves does horrible, he might transition away from the general action genre.

Gerard Butler

Den of Thieves

Geostorm - 3,246 - WB

A Family Man - DTV - Vertical Entertainment

London has Fallen - 3,492 - Focus Features

Gods of Egypt - 3,117 - Lionsgate/Summit

HTTYD 2 - Fox

Olympus has Fallen - 3,106 - FilmDistrict

Playing for Keeps - 2,840 - FilmDistrict

Chasing Mavericks - 2,030 - Fox

Coriolanus, Machine Gun Preacher, ...

HTTYD - Paramount/Dreamworks