Alli

Weekend Thread | 3-day estimates (per BOM): J 27M, TP 18.6M, TC 13.45M, I:TLK 12.14M, TGS 11.8M, TLJ 11.28M, P2 10.62M, PM 10M

1 hour ago, SteveJaros said:

Jumanji at $12.2m for Saturday is UNBELIEVABLE legs. Is this film going to keep munching its way to $500m like a James Cameron blockbuster, just doing $10m a day for 4 months?

Shocking to me because I saw it and it is totally "blah", mediocre entertainment. Oh well, I felt the same about Avatar. 

It doesn't matter what you think. Firs your taste in movies is horrible and second the only movies you like and adore are from Warner Bros!

The Greatest Showman, crazy. I don't want to hear any studios complaining about Rotten Tomatoes for a while.

It's not going to be Lincoln or anything, but Darkest Hour is doing better than I expected when the first reviews hit.

This list has been posted in a couple other threads already but since we're talking MoviePass so much... They haven't released any per movie numbers but did post their overall list of most seen movies last year, you can see it's not an exact correlation with the box office as a whole.

Your Top 25 Movies of 2017

25. Ferdinand

24. Jigsaw

23. Geostorm

22. Downsizing

21. Shape of Water

20. Pitch Perfect 3

19. A Bad Moms Christmas

18. Happy Death Day

17. The Foreigner

16. Wonder

15. Daddy's Home 2

14. American Made

13. The Greatest Showman

12. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

11. Lady Bird

10. It

9. Kingsman: The Golden Circle

8. The Disaster Artist

7. Blade Runner 2049

6. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

5. Murder on the Orient Express

4. Justice League

3. Coco

2. Thor: Ragnarok

1. Star Wars: The Last Jedi

The percentage of total tickets sold thanks to MoviePass clearly isn't the same for every movie, for a blockbuster it may be minimal but for The Disaster Artist or Lady Bird, I'm guessing it's substantial. Maybe those people would have paid to see these smaller movies anyway, but maybe not.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

TDKR didn’t have 3D either.

Indeed, I remembered it being listed as having used 3D, but that was incorrect. Either I confused it with another franchise or I mixed it up with IMAX.

TDK also had IMAX, so the difference wouldn't be that noticeable. TDKR made more money from IMAX than TDK, at least worldwide, so there could be some sort of advantage in that regard, but that wouldn't be all that different from other sequels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAR said:

I’m assuming it still has other territories 

17 minutes ago, weresweresweres said:

:winomg:

It was almost280 mln last weekend, I would say right now it's closer to 400 mln than 300 mln, probably around 375.

279M by last sunday. In a couple of hours we'll know how much it's added in the last 7 days.

1 hour ago, DAR said:

I’m assuming it still has other territories 

Only Japan in March.

2 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

279M by last sunday. In a couple of hours we'll know how much it's added in the last 7 days.

Only Japan in March.

News from yesterday:

It is near $400 million overseas, including a solid $26m Fri-Sat start in China

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/01/13/box-office-star-wars-the-last-jedi-falls-to-7th-as-jumanji-tops-friday/#3bd58a9228a7

• Like 1

6 hours ago, George Parr said:

I don't think that ESB topped 200m.

ANH made 221.3m with its original release, added ~43.8m with the 1978 re-release that followed while the original release may still have been running in some theaters (265m total), with another 22.5m coming with a 1979 re-release (287.5m). It followed that up with a 1981 re-release that made 17.2m (304.7m) and a 1982 re-release that added 18m (322.7m total).

ESB finished with 181.4m, followed by a 1981 re-release that added 26.8m (208.2m total) and a 1982 re-release that added 14.5m (222.7m).

From then on you have to decide whether you take just the original release, whether to count ANH's first re-release as a re-release or just an expansion, whether to count an equal number of re-releases or simply going by the total of all releases. There isn't really one definitive drop.

People don't take enough into account this in their Star Wars box office analysis.

Thanks for reminding us in great detail how those bo runs worked back in the day.

Those drops comparisons people are making between ESB, AOTC and TLJ are a bit pointless IMO.

• Thanks 1

So, MoviePass ran a promotion where if you saw I, Tonya by Friday, you were automatically entered to win 10 MoviePass annual subscriptions.  They've also been sending out e-mails promoting the film.

I'll be curious to see if MoviePass will be sending out a press release revealing how many members actually went to see the film this weekend.

• Like 2

Demo breakdowns:

The Post:

57/43 gender split in favor of females

92% of the audience is over 25

54% of the audience is over 50

44% saw it for Streep

41% saw it for Hanks

That over 25 percentage is on par with American Made.

The Commuter:

57/43 gender split in favor of males

79% of the audience is over 25

8% of the audience is under 18, who gave it an A-

70% saw it for Neeson

The fact this is skewing somewhat young doesn't bode well for legs; WOM will spread MUCH faster

Proud Mary:

68/32 gender split in favor of females

89% of the audience is over 25

32% of the audience is over 50, who gave it an A-

10% of the audience is between 18-24, who also gave it an A-

1% of the audience is under 18

66% saw it because of Cookie Monster, who gave it a B+

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

People don't take enough into account this in their Star Wars box office analysis.

Thanks for reminding us in great detail how those bo runs worked back in the day.

Those drops comparisons people are making between ESB, AOTC and TLJ are a bit pointless IMO.

TPM to AotC is pretty fair. ANH to ESB is not and, given initial runs, it didn't see nearly as much of dip % wise.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

TPM to AotC is pretty fair. ANH to ESB is not and, given initial runs, it didn't see nearly as much of dip % wise.

The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones were very poorly received, you would hope the TFA and TLJ what perform better considering they're critically acclaimed (lol).

• Like 2