Armie Hammer

Oscar Isaac

Lin-Manuel Miranda

Gina Rodriguez

Eva Marie Saint

Wes Studi

Kelly Marie Tran

Zendaya

Zendaya is most likely introducing the "This Is Me" performance. And I bet Armie's presenting Adapted Screenplay (Amazing Amy and Ryan Gosling have done it the last two years when their nominated - and in Gosling's case, winning - movies were up).

1 minute ago, Morieris said:

So I guess they're performing a mix of the lullaby + end credits version of Remember Me. Eh, alright, better than nothing.

I think it's a no brainer they're gonna combine the "Remember Me" performance with the In Memorium montage to save up on time.

53 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Gael Garcia Bernal, Mary J. Blige, Andra Day, Natalia Lafourcade, Miguel, Keala Settle, Sufjan Stevens, and Common will all perform at the Oscars.

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/mary-j-blige-common-sufjan-stevens-more-to-perform-at-academy-awards-oscars-1202708776/

This is why I prefer more 'performable' song nominations, so that the songs can be performed. Many of them make for a fun watch!

http://www.vulture.com/2018/02/how-new-oscar-voters-are-changing-the-way-the-academy-thinks.html

A brief look at what some of the younger voters had to say.

-They all seemed to really like Get Out

-Lady Bird not so much

-They don't see 3 Billboards as being #problematic

-#MeToo made some people rethink a couple of their options (no Oldman or Kobe vote, didn't nom Franco during the preliminaries)

-They hated that Florida Project was snubbed (and a couple of other stuff)

-James Ivory got a bunch of the votes, and Chalamet got just as much votes as Oldman. They also agreed SPC handled the film poorly and didn't capitalize on the film's buzz

-#OscarsSoWhite is not a factor in their final vote, but still believe work needs to be done (Two Asian voters cited Hong Chau's snub)

• Like 1

According to one documentary-branch voter, the Academy sorely needs to strengthen its connection with young moviegoers. “It used to be, having a nomination would lead you to generate a certain amount of revenue, which is not happening anymore. In that way, I’m concerned: Are the Oscars going to become totally irrelevant?” she asked. “The Oscars feel like this weird southern debutante ball — it’s so antiquated. Usually the opening monologue is kind of entertaining, and there’s one or two people who say something outrageous, but other than that, it’s just looking at people in these fancy dresses. Young people aren’t even watching movies anymore … let alone, why would they watch something like that?”

I get the generalization but even that is really not right. From men on reddit who think Pulp Fiction is the best and Moon is a hidden gem and want help making their own projects, to women in indie fields making movies that challenge standards to the five hundred thousand people on youtube with shit A/V equipment who want to be the next Stuckmann or Campea.

I like the amount of women going "Really? Lady Bird?" and how people are finally wanting to penalize people who do gross shit off screen and don't want to see them rewarded.

8 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

-They don't see 3 Billboards as being #problematic

seen a lot of this. i think the backlash against it really is just a film twitter thing and not really all over in the way the la la land backlash was last year. someone on here said get out will beat 3billboards in best screenplay because of the young diverse crowd in the academy now but i don't think that logic tracks because there's no real evidence that the young crowd hates 3 billboards.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Morieris said:

and how people are finally wanting to penalize people who do gross shit off screen and don't want to see them rewarded.

This is probably a discussion of its own, but I wish they found a way to penalize them that doesn't involve denying them recognition for professional achievement. This kind of thing allows us to pat ourselves on the back in the short term, but in the long term it gets us as a culture to further deny the fact that it's possible for someone to be both a terrible human being and a valuable artist, and I don't think that denial brings any good. Sure awards have always been pretty silly and meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but they become even more so when we start only giving them to nice people (or the people we currently think are nice, anyway). I'd like for both award voters and outside observers to share a basic understanding that recognition for, say, a performance in no way means support for anything else the recipient has said and done. But, I suppose, going forward that would require some fundamental changes in both awards ceremonies themselves (for one thing, making something like the Oscars less of a starry celebratory show) and our attitudes towards them.

• Like 2