filmlover

90th Academy Awards nominations

21 hours ago, Noctis said:

Dunkirk being nominated for Best Original Score is unbelievable.

And Octavia fucking Spencer for BSA?! In what universe?!

WOW at Logan being nominated for Screenplay. That came out of fucking nowhere. Logan's really good, but this is too much. 

Daniel Kaluuya for Best Actor? WTF

I like to think you react this way to all daily occurances

Alarm going off, time to get up? WHAT!?

Cereal for breakfast? WTF

Traffic delay making me ten minutes late for work? That got me an earful!

Lunch break? GREAT SNAKES!

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

the kaluuya acting nomination rules. one of my favourites this year... this whole thread ->

He's fine but he wasn't that different to the character he played in Black Mirror. I get it but I think James McAvoy really got snubbed in this category. He made all of those personalities believable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, dudalb said:

My own disagreement is Darkest Hour. Take away Oldman's incredible performance, and you have a pretty mediocre film.

Oldman is fully deserving of his  Best Actor nomination, but the film does not deserve best picture. And I am a huge World War Two buff, and should have been a bias in favor of the film.....

It's a great performance in an otherwise routine film.

I agree that it does not deserve Best Picture. It has a few strong areas which all involve Oldman but I think the Academy nominated it due to winning overseas. I think the nomination should have gone to The Florida Project.

20 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Valerian.

Great VFX at times but not even close to being comparable to BR2049 or War For The Planet Of The Apes. A few scenes are fantastic but a a lot of it looks like the Star Wars prequels.

19 hours ago, That One Guy said:

People can bitch about Darkest Hour being nominated all they want but it's f a r better movie than I Tonya

No it's not. You must not have grown up during the time where that scandal was a gigantic media circus. Watch the documentaries on the real life event. There was a recent one called "Truth And Lies: The Tonya Harding Story". They got so much of it right. And the film says right at the beginning that all of the narrators are unreliable. The tone they chose is perfect for the story.

10 hours ago, Mrwick said:

Hidden figures was a disappointment

Hidden Figures was excellent.

And regarding Tom Hanks as Ben. No, I don't think he should have been nominated. He was basically Tom Hanks with a accent.

8 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I agree, I loved the part where they made abuse out to be just the funniest, most farcical thing

But they didn't. They made it harsh and uncomfortable. It was still hard to watch. You weren't supposed to laugh at those areas, they were supposed to make you unnerved. Those areas were more about showing Tonya Harding's toughness as a person and that's what she claimed happened to her growing up. The film never normalized it...just that it was normal in her life.

And the rest of the story was ridiculous because again, the narrators (all of them) are unreliable and the crime was pulled off by the dumbest criminals possible.

I think I Tonya might be an age gap thing. The tone was perfect considering how big that event was in the 90s. If it would have gone overly serious, even more people would have treated Tonya as the victim which many already disapprove of as is. No one really knows if Tonya Harding is telling the truth when it comes to her childhood, her relationship with Jeff and her mom. Those are her accounts of the events in her life and she is not the most reliable person. 

Her mom denies that knife incident ever happened among many others depicted in the film. Jeff denies doing any of that to her. How else should the film have handled it? She came from a rough area, apparently had a hard life and that's what made her a fierce competitor who didn't really give a fuck. That's her telling her story. You couldn't leave it out and constantly breaking the 4th wall added levity to those harsh scenes. It could all just be fiction.

Edited by somebody85

Saw Phantom Thread today. Even happier now that PTA got the nom, and frankly shocked he wasn't always considered a lock for the category. The level of film-making craftsmanship on display is truly impressive. There's a fastidious artistic touch in every frame. Hell, as much as I loved GDT's work with SoW, I'm almost tempted to say PTA is deserving of the win (even though I know it will never happen). 

Thrilled about the BP nom too. Found it to be a darkly eccentric "love story" with fantastic performances and entangling tension tinged dialouge with a snide dose of humor to wonderfully cut it. As is typical for any of his films, it's definitely not going to be a movie for everyone, but I loved it. A real return to form for him after both The Master and Inherent Vice underwhelmed me, and what I've been waiting for from him ever since There Will Be Blood blew me away as one of the best films of last decade. 

Edited by MovieMan89

13 hours ago, somebody85 said:

Great VFX at times but not even close to being comparable to BR2049 or War For The Planet Of The Apes. A few scenes are fantastic but a a lot of it looks like the Star Wars prequels.

No it's not. You must not have grown up during the time where that scandal was a gigantic media circus. Watch the documentaries on the real life event. There was a recent one called "Truth And Lies: The Tonya Harding Story". They got so much of it right. And the film says right at the beginning that all of the narrators are unreliable. The tone they chose is perfect for the story.

Hidden Figures was excellent.

And regarding Tom Hanks as Ben. No, I don't think he should have been nominated. He was basically Tom Hanks with a accent.

Ive not seen the tom hanks film but i dont get the beef with darkest hour, it was a good film.

22 hours ago, That One Guy said:

I agree, I loved the part where they made abuse out to be just the funniest, most farcical thing

Have you even seen the film?

Yes, there is a lot of black comedy in the film, but they play the abuse scenes dead straight.------------

9 hours ago, Mrwick said:

Ive not seen the tom hanks film but i dont get the beef with darkest hour, it was a good film.

Take away Oldman's performance, and what have you got? Just another Pretty Good but not great historical drama .

Oldman fully deserves his nomination, but the film, though not bad, was not good enough to deserve a best picture spot.

• Like 1