filmlover

90th Academy Awards nominations

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

Have you even seen the film?

Yes, there is a lot of black comedy in the film, but they play the abuse scenes dead straight.------------

Yeah, they play the abuse scenes dead straight.  So that cut to

Allison Janney saying, in a sarcastic tone, that “every family has its ups and downs” after a scene where she stabbed Tonya with a knife

was all just played for reals and no comedy whatsoever was intended

• Like 3

S Editing                  S Mixing                        VFX                  Animated           Song                     Score

1 Dunkirk                 1 Dunkirk                 1 - Star Wars      1- Coco              1 - Coco                 1 - Shape/Water

2 Baby Driver           2 Baby Driver           2 - Apes                                        2- Showman           2 - Dunkirk

3 Star Wars              3 BR2049                 3 - Water                                     3- Call Me By           3 - Phantom Thread

4 BR2049                 4 Shape/Water         4 - BR2049                                  4 - Marshall              4 - The Post

5 Shape/Water          5 Showman             5 - Dunkirk                                   5 - Mudbound         5 - Darkest Hour

Original Screenplay      Adapted Screenplay        PRODUCTION DESIGN     CINEMATOGRAPHY      Costumes

1 - Lady Bird               1 - Call Me By                 1 - Shape/Water                    1 - Dunkirk                     1 - Phantom Thread

2 - Get Out                  2 - Molly's G                  2 - Dunkirk                             2 - Shape/Water             2 - Greatest Showman

3 - 3 Billboards             3 - Disaster A                  3 - BR2049                           3 - BR2049                     3 - Darkest Hour

4 - Shape/Water          4 - Wonder                    4 - Darkest Hour                    4 - Darkest Hour              4  - Shape/Water

5 - The Big Sick           5 - Mudbound               5 - Greatest Showman             5 - Mudbound                  5 - BATB

6 - The Post                6 - All the $$                 6 - The Post                             6 - 3 Billboards                 6 - Beguiled

7 - Phantom Thread   7 - Last Flag Flying         7 - Phantom Thread                 7 - Beguiled                     7 - Victoria & Abdul

8 - I, Tonya                                                      8 - BATB                                   8 - Call Me By                   8 - Dunkirk

9 - Beguiled                             9 - Get Out

10 - 3 Billboards

Editing

1 - Dunkirk

2 - Shape/Water

3 - Baby Driver

4 - Get Out

5 - 3 Billboards

6 - BR2049

7 - The Post

8 - Lady Bird

9 - Call Me By

S Actress              S Actor                            Actor                       Actress                    Director                                Picture

1 - I, Tonya           1 - 3 Billboards          1 - Darkest Hour            1 - 3 Billboards          1 - Shape/Water        1 - Shape/Water

2 - Lady Bird         2 - Florida Project       2 - Phantom Thread      2 - Lady Bird             2 - Dunkirk                2 - 3 Billboards

3 - Shape/Water      3 - Shape/water      3 - Call Me By                 3 - Shape/Water        3 - Lady Bird              3 - Lady Bird

4 - Mudbound         4 - Call Me By           4 - Disaster Artist            4 - The Post               4 - 3 Billboards           4 - Call Me By

5 - The Big Sick       5- All the $$             5 - Get Out                     5 - I, Tonya                 5 - The Post             5 - Get Out

6 - Downsizing        6 - Call Me By            6 - The Post                  6 - Molly's Game           6 - Get Out                6 - Dunkirk

7 - 3 Billboards         7 - Stronger                     7 - All the Money         7 - Call Me by           7 - The Florida Project

8 - Mudbound           8 - Roman J Israel            8 - Victoria and Abdul 8 - Phantom Thread    8 - The Post

9 - The Beguiled        9 - Greatest Showman                                          9 - Florida Project        9 - I, Tonya

10 - Shape/Water                                                                                 10 - Darkest Hour         10 - Phantom Thread

11 - The Big Sick

12 - All the Money in the World

13 - Mudbound

14 - Darkest Hour

15 - Wonder

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Take away Oldman's performance, and what have you got? Just another Pretty Good but not great historical drama .

Oldman fully deserves his nomination, but the film, though not bad, was not good enough to deserve a best picture spot.

Yeah but its clearly pandering towards the academy so its not exactly a shocker that this got in over better films. Every oscar season is like that.

2 minutes ago, Mrwick said:

Yeah but its clearly pandering towards the academy so its not exactly a shocker that this got in over better films. Every oscar season is like that.

I think that while other films may have been more deserving, films have had to cross a certain quality threshold in order to be in contention for a nomination as of late. The last unequivocally undeserved Best Picture nominee was Extremely Loud, Incredibly Close in the 2011/2012 season- there's a reason why similar films have been missing since then. But Darkest Hour is no Extremely Loud, Incredibly Close. Darkest Hour is a story told with countless beautiful artistic decisions from multiple filmmaking crafts, at the very least.

Undeserved in terms of 'other films were much better'?

Perhaps.

Undeserved in general terms?

Not quite.

Lol, I remember stating that Get Out was going to perform extremely well at the Oscars all the way in March 2017, but someone in particular quoted that post saying that I am insane. I might have bookmarked that post, but I am not about to search for it to boast. Anyway, Get Out is winning original screenplay. I am certain. I read the screenplay in the summer of 2016 at the recommendation of a WGA member. Guillermo Del Toro really appears to be the directing winner, but there is still a slight chance that Nolan wins the DGA and turns the race around. Best picture is going to be The Shape of Water. 

Edited by PenguinHyphy

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

It's ironic, normally horror stands next to no chance at scoring a BP nom, and normally films released in Jan/Feb stand next to no chance at scoring a BP nom. And yet two of the only horror films ever nominated for BP were released in Feb (Lambs and Get Out). 

Can't speak for lambs wasn't there at the time but I think get out was helped from building buzz and momentum throughout the year. Like it just wouldn't go away. Took a while for people to get used to it as contender not sure kaluuya's name even came up as a potential nominee until like October. Not sure a get out released in November does as well with nominations.

• Like 1

I have a theory about horror films that become Oscar-nominated.

With Silence of the Lambs and Get Out releasing in February, and with The Sixth Sense releasing in August, I think horror films are better off being presented away from the 'awards films' season so that they can stand out as a gem amongst their crowd. If one film is much better than the other films surrounding it, that film is poised to stand out much more, regardless of its genre.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2018 at 1:43 PM, aabattery said:

Praying for an upset in that category. Maybe all this hidden Phantom Thread love will be strong enough to push DDL to the top. Fingers crossed.

This would literally be The Dream.  I read in Variety and a few other outlets that the Academy members were going nuts for the film, and going out to the screeners in droves.

Oldman is so over the top it verges on hilariously bad.  You're not really immersed in the movie; rather going "YAAS, EAT IT" to Oldman's total commitment to chew every frame.  Kaluuya is the exact opposite. His performance is subtle and layered.  He and Peele created such a sense of dread, I was holding my breath the whole film.

I can't speak to Washington and Chalamet as I haven't seen those performances.  

Out of the live action Hollywood films nominated this year, I only haven't see: Call Me By Your Name (I just can't bring myself to suffer through it), The Florida Project (Legit was in the theater for a week and gone), Roman Israel Esq (Didn't think it was getting nominated, so didn't trek out), and Victoria and Abdul (meh), and Wonder (Grandma saw it without me!).

Honestly, Boss Baby getting an animation oscar nomination while Your Name sits in the dust is just further proof that the oscars are really a joke (as if anyone who frequently watches movies thought otherwise?)

They should rename this category to best PIXAR or DREAMWORKS animation feature, would be closer to reality.

release date is april 7th 2017 so it's elligible.

Edited by Daxtreme

28 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Honestly, Boss Baby getting an animation oscar nomination while Your Name sits in the dust is just further proof that the oscars are really a joke (as if anyone who frequently watches movies thought otherwise?)

They should rename this category to best PIXAR or DREAMWORKS animation feature, would be closer to reality.

Your Name was a eligible for last years Oscars but got beat out due to a lot of strong competition. They're probably kicking themselves for not pushing it this year amongst a weak animation slate.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Daxtreme said:

What? How is that possible?

Did they release it in LA for like 3 days?

If so, wow as you said, they must be kicking themselves right now

You have to get a one week run in an LA theater to qualify for the Oscars for that year. Same with all movies, big or small.

• Like 2

Still embarrassed with Three Billboards nommed for its meh score. Even more when this year they had Coco to root for.

AMPAS are constantly overlooking Giacchino's scores. The fact he didin't get nom for Inside Out, Coco, The Incredibles, Super 8, Apes, Doctor Strange, Rogue One... All of them overlooked for already forgotten scores like Sicario, Argo, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy... 

:whosad:

• Like 1

On 1/30/2018 at 9:59 AM, Daxtreme said:

For that Your Name snub, I blame Fun animation for doing such a poor campaign for Your Name.

Honestly, Your Name is a type of movie that academy will go ga-ga for it, and that higher than usual total gross for Your name,about $4.5m suggest the film is quite a hit to american....

And your name is eligible only for 89th oscar, fun was making "fun" of the movies with just one weeks qualifying run without further push....its official wide release only come at April 2017.

It's a $250m historical monster in Japan and big hit in China....how can they distributed the film like the way of others indie animated?

in the case of boss baby, this year is really a weak year for animation, 5 slots was just too many for worthy nominees, it is widely expected some shit will get in with this weak slate....at least they don't go for cars 3 and DM3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/30/2018 at 7:57 PM, stripe said:

Still embarrassed with Three Billboards nommed for its meh score. Even more when this year they had Coco to root for.

AMPAS are constantly overlooking Giacchino's scores. The fact he didin't get nom for Inside Out, Coco, The Incredibles, Super 8, Apes, Doctor Strange, Rogue One... All of them overlooked for already forgotten scores like Sicario, Argo, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy... 

:whosad:

Agree but one, argo's score was quite memorable 

• Like 1

FUNimation should go out of business for how badly they botched Your Name domestically. It posted the 11th best anime gross DOM in spite of a non-existent marketing campaign, a pathetic 311 theater count, and no ties to Ghibli or an existing popular anime TV show like the 10 anime movies that have grossed more DOM. It could have easily eclipsed every anime DOM besides the first two Pokemon movies if it had gotten any kind of push and wide release. 

Then on top of it all, they completely fuck it over for awards with the nonsensical LA release at the end of 2016 well before its proper domestic release, when the competition for the year was already far too fierce for such a latecomer to the party to stand any chance. Especially going up against a very acclaimed Ghibli film. How they thought it stood a chance to get the nom given all that makes absolutely no sense. It could have been a landmark movie for anime films domestically in terms of success and recognition if they had handled it right. May have even stood a chance to pull out the Oscar over Coco. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

FUNimation should go out of business for how badly they botched Your Name domestically. It posted the 11th best anime gross DOM in spite of a non-existent marketing campaign, a pathetic 311 theater count, and no ties to Ghibli or an existing popular anime TV show like the 10 anime movies that have grossed more DOM. It could have easily eclipsed every anime DOM besides the first two Pokemon movies if it had gotten any kind of push and wide release. 

Then on top of it all, they completely fuck it over for awards with the nonsensical LA release at the end of 2016 well before its proper domestic release, when the competition for the year was already far too fierce for such a latecomer to the party to stand any chance. Especially going up against a very acclaimed Ghibli film. How they thought it stood a chance to get the nom given all that makes absolutely no sense. It could have been a landmark movie for anime films domestically in terms of success and recognition if they had handled it right. May have even stood a chance to pull out the Oscar over Coco. 

If they never go for that 1 week qualifying run, your name will be an oscar best animated film right now