filmlover

90th Academy Awards nominations

3 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

http://www.vulture.com/2018/02/how-new-oscar-voters-are-changing-the-way-the-academy-thinks.html

A brief look at what some of the younger voters had to say.

-They all seemed to really like Get Out

-Lady Bird not so much

-They don't see 3 Billboards as being #problematic

-#MeToo made some people rethink a couple of their options (no Oldman or Kobe vote, didn't nom Franco during the preliminaries)

-They hated that Florida Project was snubbed (and a couple of other stuff)

-James Ivory got a bunch of the votes, and Chalamet got just as much votes as Oldman. They also agreed SPC handled the film poorly and didn't capitalize on the film's buzz

-#OscarsSoWhite is not a factor in their final vote, but still believe work needs to be done (Two Asian voters cited Hong Chau's snub)

For one actress we spoke to, her only major issue with the film was a miscast supporting role. “I do love Three Billboards, and it’s surprising that Martin McDonagh didn’t get nominated for Best Director, but what the hell is going on with Abbie Cornish’s accent in that movie?” said the voter, singling out the actress who plays Woody Harrelson’s wife. “She doesn’t have an Australian accent in the first half of the movie — only in the second half. Did she leave the town and come back? I met Martin at the premiere and I wanted be like, ‘Um, I was available to act in this.’”

:hahaha: 

• Haha 4

I just read the article and I actually agree with the sentiment that SPC kinda mishandled CMBYN even after the nearly year's worth of buzz and monstrous opening numbers. Does feel like they never really tried to push it into the mainstream. A better studio likely would've gone more out of the way with things like getting Armie to host SNL, etc. I'd say it's done well (gonna end up nearly doubling its pre-nomination total) despite them, considering Whiplash was similarly mishandled three years earlier and stalled at $13M.

Also I watched this again earlier in honor of the one year anniversary and it's just as hilarious as I remembered. Only way this ever gets topped in sheer craziness is if someone has a stroke at the ceremony. Those pics of the reactions of all the famous people in the audience as it was all going down will always be iconic.

Edited by filmlover
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I just read the article and I actually agree with the sentiment that SPC kinda mishandled CMBYN even after the nearly year's worth of buzz and monstrous opening numbers. Does feel like they never really tried to push it into the mainstream. A better studio likely would've gone more out of the way with things like getting Armie to host SNL, etc. I'd say it's done well (gonna end up nearly doubling its pre-nomination total) despite them, considering Whiplash was similarly mishandled three years earlier and stalled at $13M.

Based on how their movies have performed over the years they seem to believe that big PTAs and expansions alone create awareness and interest. And they haven't learned anything even following obvious screw-ups like Whiplash. Searchlight or Focus would have actually, y'know, promoted CMBYN and probably gotten it to double its current gross off of the same initial numbers. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

No Cuaron and Inarritu? Missed opportunity to give GDT the Scorsese treatment

This is because McConaughey is presenting to Nolan clearly.

Spoiler

I am unable to discern who is presenting Dunkirk when they go thru the Best Pic nominees. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, filmlover said:

Also I watched this again earlier in honor of the one year anniversary and it's just as hilarious as I remembered. Only way this ever gets topped in sheer craziness is if someone has a stroke at the ceremony. Those pics of the reactions of all the famous people in the audience as it was all going down will always be iconic.

And after a year, general still can't tell which is the better film(so am I).....to me, moonlight is simpler a more suitable film to win...