That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

10 minutes ago, DAR said:

Don't worry I won't get too far into this, but I wonder if some WB exec is thinking maybe we should put Cyborg on the fast track. 

It takes more than black skin to get these numbers.

People have never seen Africans glorified and imagined like this. Demand for this movie has been building for hundreds of years. And never has there been a non-white superhero who gets the A-list respect and treatment. Those are a couple of the reasons BP is so ground breaking. Also the execution is above most superhero movies.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, DAR said:

Don't worry I won't get too far into this, but I wonder if some WB exec is thinking maybe we should put Cyborg on the fast track. 

I thought Fisher was one of the best things about JL. He is charismatic and appears like a leader. Hope we get an uplifting Cyborg solo.

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

It takes more than black skin to get these numbers.

People have never seen Africans glorified and imagined like this. Demand for this movie has been building for hundreds of years. And never has there been a non-white superhero who gets the A-list respect and treatment. Those are a couple of the reasons BP is so ground breaking. Also the execution is above most superhero movies.

Coogler da gawd.

• Like 1

China just posted about 210m USD for its films today crushing the record held by domestic which was around 135m, lead by opening of Force Awakens back in 2015 Dec 18th. This is the first time its happened and absolutely monumental to break it by SO MUCH. Overall the weekend could go as high as 500m USD

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

If, somehow, Marvel has a one-two punch of 200M+ 3-day openings (I personally don't wanna overhype the possibility of Panther getting to a 200M 3-day atm), that might be the most impressive franchise BO pull of all time.

Should that happen (and should Panther cross 500M and Infinity War around Ultron numbers), do not be surprised if Ant-Man 2 is closer to 100 than the 85 range of Thor 2/Dr. Strange that a lot of us expect. The boost 'gon be real.

Also, I'm convinced at this point that Captain Marvel will pull at least 95M OW, possibly 100+ too. It may not be as big of an event as Wonder Woman on paper, but WW had the disadvantage of following BVS and Suicide Squad (despite her own presence in BVS being an advantage on her side). CM, on the other hand, has the MCU hype all over its tail (especially if Panther pulls off the unlikely achievement of becoming the 1st major cbm to have a Best Picture nomination), as well as audience thirst for more diverse superhero movies.

Marvel is going to push the female empowerment narrative for Captain Marvel.

They'd be foolish not to after WW and BP.

And unlike Wonder Woman who was mostly naive, Captain Marvel is savvy military brass capable of heading a cosmic CIA.

I'm not saying it will make 400 m DOM but 90 m OW and 250 m DOM is a safe bet.

• Like 1

The reason I don't buy that IW will gross then Civil War is that Disney has been successful in turning IW into something more than another Marvel sequel and more of an event is based on how they have marketed the film. 

It is subtle but I think its far more interesting than the hook for Civil War or Ultron. 

The only reason I am still staying conservative on IW is Civil War and is I think why I think 500+ predictions are a bit crazy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

You STILL seriously think IW is going that low with how big BP will be? :hahaha: 

I don’t see that low but don’t be surprised if Panther takes DOM. It’s legs will be better than IW.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, iHeartJames said:

I’m glad somebody finally said this cuz I’m not understanding this Cyborg discussion.

He’s so lame. Imagine being an all powerful supercomputer that has to take orders from Robin.

ROBIN!!!! OF ALL FUCKING PEOPLE!!!!!!!

THIS FUCKING GUY:

4ef0ce72-739c-4edf-9f20-7825cdbab12d.jpg

Cyborg has no Dignity.

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

And I don't see why it would matter. There is clearly going to be a large portion of BP's audience that will not turn out for IW

I don't buy this. It's not like Wonder Woman and Justice League where they both opened pretty close to each other and the former legged it out. BP already has the MCU audience seeing it this weekend, and everyone else is just icing on the cake. If IW's quality is there, some of that audience could show up too.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

And I don't see why it would matter. There is clearly going to be a large portion of BP's audience that will not turn out for IW

.....I mean, I'm not saying you're wrong, but if Marvel is smart enough to put BP and Wakanda in the absolute forefront of the IW marketing, I think it might have a bigger movie-to-movie audience turnout than expected. Again, it's not like the WW/JL scenario where, even though WW was in the spotlight of JL's promotion, JL's promotion itself wasn't the strongest to begin with, not to mention that audience interest wasn't there post-BVS. While w/Infinity War, Disney is probably gonna put everything they've got into promoting this, and so far, (outside of this forum :P) buzz seems universally huge. Appealing to Panther's "exclusive" audience (don't wanna sound racist if I say something like that) would only add to that buzz, me thinks.

@grey ghost I would say that Wonder Woman being naive, but not stupid, is one of the things that made her likeable for the audience, so I wouldn't say that she was at a big disadvantage in terms of characterization; but otherwise, I agree.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 3