That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

9 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I am going to watch a movie. Someone help me pick.

Shutter Island

Bringing Out the Dead

The Aviator

Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore

Kundun

Shutter Island for something trippy.

Bringing Out the Dead for something introspective.

The Avatar for something epic and grand.

Dunno bout the others.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

2 for Shutter and 2 for Dead. Shutter Island is on Prime video so gonna go with that one. Got nothing on this week so I'll check it out sooner rather than later.

These two are the most similar of those you listed. High energy and deliciously overwrought style on both, it's Scorsese just letting loose and not giving a fuck. After them I'd prioritize Alice, the biopics are the least essential imo. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I moved to DC in 2016. :)

That theater is about a 25 min walk from me, it’s one of two that are walkable distance.

Oh wow MrPink.  Didn't know that. I've been away too long.  

So is the theater small? What does it mean 1 auditorium? They can only show one movie at a time?

14 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I am going to watch a movie. Someone help me pick.

Shutter Island

Bringing Out the Dead

The Aviator

Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore

Kundun

Shutter Island 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Hey @REC, what were you saying earlier about IW being a cultural event? Are you anticipating similar film commentary from the fashion world once IW is released?

No I just think it will be a cultural event in a different way.  In the sense that the nerd culture is far more entrenched in a way people may not be predicting yet.  In a once in a 10 year event that has a kind of TFA style buildup to it and level of anticipation.

You and I may not clearly understand this but I think its a thing.  There's also no point in debating it here, we'll know in 3 months though when the numbers confirm what I'm saying.

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Shutter Island for something trippy.

Bringing Out the Dead for something introspective.

The Avatar for something epic and grand.

Dunno bout the others.

It's the Aviator. Different movie.

• Astonished 1

16 minutes ago, REC said:

No I just think it will be a cultural event in a different way.  In the sense that the nerd culture is far more entrenched in a way people may not be predicting yet.  In a once in a 10 year event that has a kind of TFA style buildup to it and level of anticipation.

You and I may not clearly understand this but I think its a thing.  There's also no point in debating it here, we'll know in 3 months though when the numbers confirm what I'm saying.

If only same old superhero fans care about a film and make it have a good OW, is it a cultural event or just a regular day in nerdvania?

Edited by Alexiswills12
  • Disbelief 1

7 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Iron Man 1

Thor: Ragnarok

Black Panther

Iron Man 3

Guardians 2

Beyond that it's tricky. I am very easy to please with these movies, sue me, but it's really hard to rank them past that top 5. Pretty much like all of them bar TIH and Thor 2.

Another phase 3 fan. :insane:

14 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Ant Man 2 > Solo DOM

Someone make a club on that. Not me though.

Hey, I predicted this on Reddit like 2 weeks ago.      

It it was a thread specifically about unrealistic/long-shot predictions though.

• Like 1

I'm not sure why many are still applying "usual" or even conservative multiples to this.  This is a supply-constrained movie (at least in several major markets...major for this movie at least) unlike any I can think of. If there were more screens and showtimes the number would be higher.  Using the weekend number is going to underestimate as it does not represent the actual demand for this movie.  Would it have been 300M if Atlanta had twice as many showings?  etc.  I live in DC, am a big Marvel fan and have not been able to watch it!  I'm stalking AMC Georgetown for when the showtimes for next Friday show up so I and 3 others can pounce. I think 700M is going to seem low after next weekend.

• Astonished 1

37 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Hot take: Ant-Man is an upper tier Marvel movie and Paul Rudd is hilarious. He feels like a real (funny) human in the middle of all this serious ass boom bang shit. 

Excluding BP because I haven't seen it yet, I think it's easily the best origin film in the MCU and in the top three behind GOTG2 and on par with Winter Soldier. It may not be the most unique movie, but it's efficient as hell.

• Like 1