That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

13 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

True. Probably is now that you say that. Only $46 million seperate them, but TDK has 6 years and IMAX on its side. Spidey 1 is the goat, but Bats is no second fiddle. Easily the most watched cinematic superhero of all time. 3 movies over $500 million.

So I guess Iron Man would round out the big three.

What would it take for BP to grab that third spot?

To be fair, Iron Man put in work. Carrying much of the MCU on his back since 2008.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alexiswills12 said:

So how much does BP need to make to be considered profitable?

Like 600m WW?

The budget is 200m, so along with marketing probably around 500mww. It'll easily make that number, and then a lot more. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So I guess Iron Man would round out the big three.

What would it take for BP to grab that third spot?

To be fair, Iron Man put in work. Carrying much of the MCU on his back since 2008.

22 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Iron Man is about $7.6 billion worldwide, Batman is $6.3 billion, and Spidey is $6 billion. Obviously that does not account for inflation or changes in overseas markets. But Iron Man has had a hell of a run from 2008 to now. About to add another $1.5 billion you would think (Spidey will too).

I wasn't thinking about overseas, but yeah I'd assume. All these team ups muddy the waters though. For instance, BP technically counts with Civil War, and then you have Avengers 3 and 4 coming up, and surely we'll get BP2 before 2021, so that's 5 movies right off the bat in a 5 year span. Iron Man has gone the same route.

Took Batman 16 years to reach five movies - not counting Phantasm. So yeah in terms of sheer total eyeball numbers, I think it's Batman, Spider Man, with Iron Man coming in hot. Looking at just solo series, it's probably about the same. Superman 1 adjusts to $527m and Superman II adjusts to $357, but then it's downhill from there.

If just looking at trilogies, BP could maybe pass Iron Man if BP2 and 3 are hot. IM1 is at $407M, so BP will start off with a nice lead. Still think Iron Man may be the most impressive of all time though. Did he even have a popular 90s cartoon like everyone else?

Edited by Jandrew
  • Thanks 1

These numbers are just shocking to me. I thought it’d do good, maybe 135 mil ow, 335 mil domestic, 800 mil WW, but it’s going way beyond that.

Why did this go way beyond the OW’s of TR, SMH, GotgV2, and even CW/AOU??

• Disbelief 1

Marvel knew what they had when they put two Black Panther characters in the final money shot for the Avengers trailer. That's the only possible reason you can explain them being okay with throwing the Winter Soldier dude into a shot fans have apparently been waiting ten years for or whatever. 

Even weirder is that you got like Spider-Man and Captain America and you give a whole ass line and moment in the epic intro part to Vision, lol.

Edited by Cmasterclay

3 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

I wasn't thinking about overseas, but yeah I'd assume. All these team ups muddy the waters though. For instance, BP technically counts with Civil War, and then you have Avengers 3 and 4 coming up, and surely we'll get BP2 before 2021, so that's 5 movies right off the bat in a 5 year span. Iron Man has gone the same route.

Took Batman 16 years to reach five movies - not counting Phantasm. So yeah in terms of sheer total eyeball numbers, I think it's Batman, Spider Man, with Iron Man coming in hot. Looking at just solo series, it's probably out the same. Superman 1 adjusts to $527m and Superman II adjusts to $357, but then it's downhill from there.

If just looking at trilogies, BP could maybe pass Iron Man if BP2 and 3 are hot. IM1 is at $407M, so BP will start off with a nice lead. Still think Iron Man may be the most impressive of all time though. Did he even have a popular 90s cartoon like everyone else?

Hmm.

I'm gonna move the goalpost cause BP would take years to match Iron Man by any barometer.

So who is the current top 5 biggest solo superheroes at the box office (considering each solo franchise)?

1) Batman

2) Spider-man 

3) Iron Man

4) Superman

5) ???

13 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

These numbers are just shocking to me. I thought it’d do good, maybe 135 mil ow, 335 mil domestic, 800 mil WW, but it’s going way beyond that.

Why did this go way beyond the OW’s of TR, SMH, GotgV2, and even CW/AOU??

Novelty that goes beyond skin color.

Novelty that explores the very nature of racism, imperialism and national wealth. These are relevant to every country on Earth.

Avatar was popular for similar reasons (and mindblowing visuals) and it only scratched the surface.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jandrew said:

They haven't. Demand is still high and supply still hasn't caught up. And plus, now with "top 5 all time" headlines, people who hadn't planned on it are gonna go see this for the curiosity factor, and so they're not left out of the conversation. It's full steam now.

Certainly, my boss just told me about planning to go see it because of the Box office weekend breaking stuff, big BO on non sequel or something they know will bring people by itself (like Jurassic World did, I went to see that just to see what all the fuzz was about), human are very sheepish. Other way around for wide release that do not open big, lot of people just follow box office as a sign of something to see or not see.

• Like 2

Black Panther is a phenomenon, man. People have wanted this for years. I've known this would be massive since I saw my Facebook feed EXPLODE after the first trailer (not quite this huge, though).

Also, on a related note, how nuts are they if they make Sebastian Stan the next Captain America instead of Anthony Mackie? There's a statement in Mackie being Captain America, and also a better actor, and also a hell of alot more money.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 1

A lot of tomorrow's showings are near full and several Friday showings I'm seeing as half full already...insane.  I agree w/Jandrew that this is supply constrained so the dropoff today isn't going to be much.  Late showings are still full.  If people are willing to take front row seats at midnight when they have work tomorrow then man...I don't know...250M 4-day?

• Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Black Panther is a phenomenon, man. People have wanted this for years. I've known this would be massive since I saw my Facebook feed EXPLODE after the first trailer (not quite this huge, though).

Also, on a related note, how nuts are they if they make Sebastian Stan the next Captain America instead of Anthony Mackie? There's a statement in Mackie being Captain America, and also a better actor, and also a hell of alot more money.

Mackie rules. So thumbs up I guess

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Superman 4's gross after adjusting for 30 years of inflation...$37 million. Ouch!

Still way too much.

I actually got sick watching that piece of garbage with some friends. The beer helped, but not enough to cure all of the pain :hahaha: