That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

He also threw in caution about pre-sales. You may not remember what happened with Ultron, but it's the one time RTH overshot by a large margin. Pre-sales screwed up his projections. The trade reporters way overshot on that one too for a similar reason.

I think 75+ is a safe bet myself, but it's not guaranteed.

Even 70 is fantastic.... 

He also threw in caution about pre-sales. You may not remember what happened with Ultron, but it's the one time RTH overshot by a large margin. Pre-sales screwed up his projections. The trade reporters way overshot on that one too for a similar reason.

Yea it behaved very differently from the first Avengers movie, screwed everyone over. Same thing happened with Iron Man 2 for all the trades, but that was before Rth started sharing DOM data with us

2 minutes ago, Chad Stevens said:

If I were running @Disney I would be producing seven Black Panther films and spin-off rather than SW films and spinoffs. Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars but.... man the hype is real for this.

I don't think you'd be very good at running Disney then. There's more than enough room for both.

• Like 7

Just now, aabattery said:

I don't think you'd be very good at running Disney then. There's more than enough room for both.

Nope, only 52 weeks on the calendar so they MUST be scheduled 3 weeks apart. It's MATH, brother

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Saw Black Panther and it was great. Jordan as Killmonger is by far one of Marvel's strongest villains (he has an actual reasonable motivation, and arc), and the movie has a lot to say in terms of themes and politics, but it never feels overwhelming. Plus the action sequences were great. Possibly in my top five of the MCU (still thinking it over though). 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

30+ is great if we are being honest. It's not Spider-Man or Batman. So these numbers are insanely great regardless of where it goes.

This. Its Black Panther, a non-property in terms of cinematic presence except for his small part in Civil War. It blowing up to these numbers is a bigger version of Deadpools breakout.

10 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Blank was liking my 4-year old posts in Gravity RTM thread the other day. Was kinda torn between feeling grateful and thinking are you really sure this is what you wanna do with your time man?

Whatever helps him procrastinate asking that girl out, I guess

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Disbelief 1

13 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Age of Ultron was almost 3 years ago.

Give the man some credit. 

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

This. Its Black Panther, a non-property in terms of cinematic presence except for his small part in Civil War. It blowing up to these numbers is a bigger version of Deadpools breakout.

I was looking at the first Captain America for comparison. Adjusted for inflation, it made $29.7m on opening day. Black Panther almost matched that in only 4-5 hours of preview shows last night. Pretty amazing how Feige has been able to build the MCU over the last 10 years.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Yea it behaved very differently from the first Avengers movie, screwed everyone over. Same thing happened with Iron Man 2 for all the trades, but that was before Rth started sharing DOM data with us

Both sequels. Not saying it shouldn't be taken into account but this feels different. Also, neither was received nearly as glowingly as BP.

• Like 1

I was looking at the first Captain America for comparison. Adjusted for inflation, it made $29.7m on opening day. Black Panther almost matched that in only 4-5 hours of preview shows last night. Pretty amazing how Feige has been able to build the MCU over the last 10 years.

The first Captain America also opened the week after Harry Potter 8 lol. Imagine a big tentpole scheduling itself the week before one of these nowadays. Even Ant-Man has Jim Cameron running away

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Age of Ultron was almost 3 years ago.

Give the man some credit. 

Ummm...I give him all the credit in the world. He is incredible at what he does. I am pointing out to you that he specifically mentioned pre-sales as a caution against going overboard with expectations around here. Ultron is an example where pre-sales screwed up everything.

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

Both sequels. Not saying it shouldn't be taken into account but this feels different. Also, neither was received nearly as glowingly as BP.

Yea I didn't mean to compare them directly, was just talking about trends and how these early numbers can fluctuate.

• Like 1

http://deadline.com/2018/02/black-panther-thursday-night-preview-box-office-1202291093/

Another holdover update (though again, who cares):

20th Century Fox’s original musical The Greatest Showman which was slow out of the gate will out-sing Lionsgate’s Oscar-winning La La Land ($151.1M) at the domestic box office on Saturday. Benj Pasek and Justin Paul won last year’s original song Oscar for “City of Stars” from the Damien Chazelle feature musical, and the songwriting duo are up again this year for “This Is Me” from The Greatest Showman. The original musical about P.T. Barnum will earn $5M-$6Mover four days.

• Like 1