Porthos

Tuesday Numbers (Feb 20): BP- 20.9 PR - 1.9 FSF - 1.6

I think 85-95 (53-58% drop) will be the 2nd weekend range. Worth keeping in mind that the Sunday drop was 9% and it had an insane 25 in previews. DP fell 57% but it's Sunday was even more inflated due to VD so BP can manage to beat/match it.

BP's preview + true OW break-down was 25 + 177. TA's was 18.5 + 189.

TA like drop from true OW would give around 95 to BP in the 2nd weekend.

But TA's Sunday was not this inflated so 95 could be the high-end.

It seems things have gotten front-loaded in general too as time has gone by.

Considering BP behaved like a non-sequel (same previews and OD as CW but the Sat itself was bigger) I think high 50s drop is the most it will fall. The reception is positive too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Gotham Bank said:

Uhm.. I know everyone has forgotten about Jumanji with all this BP madness, but its tues gross has almost remained flat from last week??? :ohmygod:

Jumanji could go over GOTG2 this weekend but the story might get buried by BP going over it and GOTG2 in 10-days :lol:

6 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Jumanji could go over GOTG2 this weekend but the story might get buried by BP going over it and GOTG2 in 10-days :lol:

At the end of the day, Jumanji's profitability is insane and who knows if even a phenomenon like BP can beat it in that regard. Jumanji looks like the kind of movie that will do very well in home release as well.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

it is pretty straightforward stuff.  a math teacher would yell at me and tell me to stop doing that.  it would take a long time to type it all out, so I made a double sided sheet for the intent of scanning it and sharing.  I am sick of typing stuff out on here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Gotham Bank said:

At the end of the day, Jumanji's profitability is insane and who knows if even a phenomenon like BP can beat it in that regard. Jumanji looks like the kind of movie that will do very well in home release as well.

Agree, Jumanji's 10.5x*prod-budget global cume (and the prod-budget is not tiny like for horror films) could be arguably the biggest story of last few years. In that department BP or many other coming blockbusters won't beat it.

4 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

As much as I love the 3 franchises apart from the MCU, even they would have struggled to maintain their high averages if the franchise was pumping out 2-3 movies every year. For example we are already seeing diminishing returns for Star Wars with its yearly releases

I know it is not pointed very often but shouldn't we take into account that Potter and Middle Earth were 2 ADAPTIONS of material that already existed?

MCU's story is developing through their movies. Fans are waiting for the new material, getting in the cinema without knowing what to expect.

There's a big difference between that and watching a film with a story you already know.

I don't think it's easy to answer overall but for me it is clear that MCU is superior DOM and Potter/Middle Earth are superior OS. (Until now at least)

Edited by FantasticBeasts

50 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I know it is not pointed very often but shouldn't we take into account that Potter and Middle Earth were 2 ADAPTIONS of material that already existed?

MCU's story is developing through their movies. Fans are waiting for the new material, getting in the cinema without knowing what to expect.

There's a big difference between that and watching a film with a story you already know.

I don't think it's easy to answer overall but for me it is clear that MCU is superior DOM and Potter/Middle Earth are superior OS. (Until now at least)

It only works because no ones actually read the comics:hahaha:

46 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Harry Potter movies all did around 600M OS except the final one. 

In contrast, Civil War did 750M, IM3 800M, and both Avengers did 900M.

As for Star Wars? Force Awakens did 1.1B OS. Jedi has done 700M.

This #FakeNews delusion that @Noctis has attempted to trick everyone into believing, that "Potter is the biggest OS franchise" is 100% horseshit and simply, objectively, not true.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Marvel movies are all adaptations, many people love the characters before a film is even announced.

But I agree that it is more impressive when an original movie (like Avatar) reaches those levels.

Edited by MrGlass2

2 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

This #FakeNews delusion that @Noctis has attempted to trick everyone into believing, that "Potter is the biggest OS franchise" is 100% horseshit and simply, objectively, not true.

That's a bit unfair towards Harry Potter. Those movies made 600m+ without 3D and without China being a big thing.

Not to mention that the first ones, which where the biggest of them all, had to deal with pretty bad exchange rates and generally lower ticket prices. Take all that stuff into account and HP1 and HP2 are easily bigger internationally than even the most sucessful MCU-movies and depending on the regions either somewhere near or even ahead of TFA. The other ones should also beat the average MCU movie rather handily.

The only franchise that was a match for HP internationally was LOTR. Beyond that, you are looking at individual movies, like Titanic and Avatar (though the latter mostly thanks to 3D, not so much in terms of attendence), or Jurassic Park. Right now, it's the circumstances that allow new movies to make more money than that.

• Like 5

Just now, George Parr said:

That's a bit unfair towards Harry Potter. Those movies made 600m+ without 3D and without China being a big thing.

I see. Is China not an OS territory? It doesn't count - because you want your favourite film to be the best, right?

Also, Last Jedi flopped in China and grossed more than all the HP movies except the last one. Take China out of Force Awakens gross and it still outgrossed

all the HP films.

The ACTUAL biggest franchise OS is Fast and Furious. Which its 2 most recent movies have grossed over 1B OS. But who really cares about actual factual numbers, on a box office forum?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

Civil War's $750m, and IM3's $800m, are EASILY below the lowest Potter film in tickets sold overseas. You are comparing 2D films against films that have a decade or more of inflation AND 3D. So, yes, what Potter achieved overseas is far beyond anything Marvel has accomplished with the exception of the two Avengers movies. So, you clearly have no clue how to assess overseas grosses even if your life depended on it. The overseas grosses of Potter, Lord of the Rings, and Pirates (2 + 3) are "lower" in dollars but far ahead in tickets than anything Marvel has produced. That's like saying FB1 was seen by more people than PoA because it did $580m against PoA's $546m. No. That's just not true.

So, sweetheart...it's no delusion what I'm spreading. If you took your head out of your pasty bleached asshole, then maybe you would be more capable at grasping overseas box office. But no...what you write is largely seeped in shit. So do us all a favor and stop arguing when it only makes you look like a moron. And what's horeshit is that you think you're right. When it comes to overseas box office, you are, objectively, a fucking idiot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2