Finnick

Weekend thread | Deadline Friday Est. (p.11) ~ PR:U 10.1M, BP 4.4M, ICOI 3.7M, TR 2.8M, SG 2.7M, AWIT 2.1M, L,S 2.3M, P,AOC 1.5M, MS 1.45M, GN 1.2M, U 1.3M

1 hour ago, baumer said:

I won't be seeing Pacific Rising. Not a fan of the first.

I'd argue if you're not a fan of the first but still like giant robots shoot'em all, you're more susceptible to like PR:Uprising.

It's more in line with the first Transformers than PR, imo. (A con for PR fans but a pro to anybody else)

Edited by dashrendar44

22 minutes ago, StevenG said:

I loved AWIT, but I agree with this post.

As far as audiences go, a film's political importance does not matter if the product itself doesn't sound/look appealing. If Wonder Woman and Black Panther had not intrinsically appealed to audiences, no amount of sociopolitical/cultural gravitas would have made them box office hits.

Fortunately, DuVernay will get another chance to prove her mettle as a blockbuster director with The New Gods, and hopefully, this time she will hit the mark. I am rooting for her. 

Definitely. AWiT is supposedly rather unfilmable book while The New Gods is likely more cinematic. So anyone else taking on AWiT would have had similar problems. I never read the book but I read Wiki synopsis and it was a mess. 

Re: The Rock being forgotten in 5-10 years. Heh, my family kept some very old movie magazines from the late 90s early aughts that are full of Stars of Tomorrow. So anyway, one of those mags had an interview with The Rock about his debut in The Mummy 2. So that was over 15 years ago. Many of Stars of Tomorrow don't work today or work on something that isn't relevant, but The Rock is still standing. It's a long career. he isn't an overnight sensation that lucked out. He had a bumpy ride (the article was touting him the next Arnie) but learned how to pick projects and now he's the biggest action star in the world. So, no, I wouldn't write him off at all. He has already defied the odds (where's Elijah Wood now? Where is Tara Reid? Just to name 2 "Stars of Tomorrow" from the same period) he's a good actor who can always fall back on comedy when he stops being a convincing action lead (age). 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

I'd argue if you're not a fan of the first but still like giant robots shoot'em all, you're more susceptible to like PR:Uprising.

It's more in line with the first Transformers than PR, imo. (A con for PR fans but a pro to anybody else)

haven't seen an equivalent to Mega Fox in any previews so no. ;) damn, that girl was such a beauty. :wub:

Edited by Valonqar

True. Also, The Rock will be gone and forgotten in 5-10 years while Jake and Collin will still be working steadily.

Look at this guy's over the top Rock hate.
The Rock has more charisma in his pinky finger than most actors do in their entire body.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, narniadis said:

Wife and I contributed to Panther this weekend, first film we have seen in theaters since Shape of Water in January, not sure how we will see all we want to this summer, except the old-fashioned at home way *sigh*

MoviePass. 

6 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I understand but political significance is not going to have much effect if the product is unappealing. BP is a huge hit because it's great first and political importance is a gravy. But if it sucked, politics wouldn't help it much. It seems to me that AWiT had nothing to fall back on outside of "it's important that a WoC got this budget". That doesn't put butts in the seats any more than "Weinstein accusers to present Best Actor Award" was going to draw audience for the Oscars (in fact, ratings dropped like a stone and turned it into the least watched of all times). Most people (not all but most)  want to be entertained. If something doesn't look interesting/entertaining or smacks of Z-lister fest, they'll pass. 

Agree. Politics and cultural significance are important with any artistic creation. But regardless of who was directing or acting in the movie; Black Panther is a box office smash because it's a fantastic movie. Wonder Woman was successful because it is good. A Wrinkle in Time is not a great picture, period. Social justice is not moved forward when society demands you like something because of the gender and race of the director, and not the product he/she actually produced.

29 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Mortal Kombat will never be beat for best VG movie.

I don't know about "never will be beat" (I can think of at least 10 video games that could easily have at least solid adaptations - I have a pretty good pitch for a Far Cry movie myself :ph34r:), but as of now, yup, it's the one to beat.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

37 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

My opinion.....

It might actually be Warcraft :sparta:

I truly atrocious take but I appreciate the chutzpah

• Like 1

VIIIDEO GAME MOVIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!! BA BA BA BA BABABA BA BA BA BABABA BA........ (note: not counting the likes of FF VII Advent Children and stuff like that)

The good:

Mortal Kombat

The unironically watchable/endurable:

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider

Prince Of Persia

Silent Hill

Ratchet & Clank

The "ehh, it exists" but inoffensive enough:

Need For Speed

Angry Birds

The bad, maybe pretty bad, but not awful:

Warcraft

Tekken

Hitman '07

The hilarious shitfests:

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation

Dead Or Alive

Street Fighter

All not-Silent Hill Uwe Boll films (besides Alone In The Dark)

The painful shitfests:

Super Mario Bros.

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider 2

Doom

All Resident Evil movies

Assassin's Creed

Alone In The Dark

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Sad 1