The Wild Eric

Easter Weekend Thread: Official Weekend Actuals: RPO $41.8M ($53.7M 4-Day), Acrimony $17.2M, BP $11.5M, ICOI $10.4M, PRU $9.4M, IOD $2.9M, GND3 $2.7M

Different articles on Mojo have said different things for GI Joe previews. The one attached to RPO says 2.5-2.6, the original article from 5 years ago says 2.2.

Regardless, judging frontloadedness from a preview number from 5 years ago is crazy. That year Iron Man 3 has an 11.1x off it’s preview, which is basically impossible to do now as a CBM. Use old numbers as trends, not absolutes ;)

6 minutes ago, The Fast and the Furiosa said:

Different articles on Mojo have said different things for GI Joe previews. The one attached to RPO says 2.5-2.6, the original article from 5 years ago says 2.2.

Regardless, judging frontloadedness from a preview number from 5 years ago is crazy. That year Iron Man 3 has an 11.1x off it’s preview, which is basically impossible to do now as a CBM. Use old numbers as trends, not absolutes ;)

Well, that's why I quoted not just the Mojo article, but all the other RPO preview articles as well, all of them having 2.5 or 2.6.

Also, speaking of trends, isn't a trend that movies nowadays are more preview-heavy than before? I get it, it's hard to judge frontloadedness from a 2013 movie, but at the same time, I'm pretty sure that the more time goes by, the more frontloaded movies get. So, chances are, RPO would be more frontloaded than GI Joe. And RPO so far seems more frontloaded than GI Joe. Also, it's just about the best comparison that there is to RPO's opening anyway (big Thursday 4-day opener on Easter weekend, and also a nostalgia franchise action blockbuster).

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Well, that's why I quoted not just the Mojo article, but all the other RPO preview articles as well, all of them having 2.5 or 2.6.

Also, speaking of trends, isn't a trend that movies nowadays are more preview-heavy than before? I get it, it's hard to judge frontloadedness from a 2013 movie, but at the same time, I'm pretty sure that the more time goes by, the more frontloaded movies get. So, chances are, RPO would be more frontloaded than GI Joe. And RPO so far seems more frontloaded than GI Joe. Also, it's just about the best comparison that there is to RPO's opening anyway (big Thursday 4-day opener on Easter weekend, and also a nostalgia franchise action blockbuster).

Agree with you, but one think to consider is Wom. If RPO's reception is much better than GI Joe's then it can match the 2013 trend of GI Joe

Hoping for 12.0 + 15.0 + 15.0 + 10.0 = 52.0 / 40.0 for RPO (or better)

GI Joe was 10.5 + 15.3 + 15.5 + 9.7 = 51.0 / 40.5

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Agree with you, but one think to consider is Wom. If RPO's reception is much better than GI Joe's then it can match the 2013 trend of GI Joe

Hoping for 12.0 + 15.0 + 15.0 + 10.0 = 52.0 / 40.0 for RPO (or better)

GI Joe was 10.5 + 15.3 + 15.5 + 9.7 = 51.0 / 40.5

I think it's the most likely scenario, it'll likely have a better Sunday hold than GI Joe.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I would say that the preview to OD ratio is the main difference across the years. Any other daily trends for the internal weekend multiplier are due to a variety of factors, such as WOM, % schools open, weather, etc 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

If that 15 number proves to be true thats almost a 90% jump from true Thursday. That's pretty nice.

I'm more shocked by how well it's doing in China! Might end being the highest grossing market for the film rather than the US and Canada. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Its ra not bad. But considering that he Gi Joe sequel had a higher Friday jump it’s a little disappointing 

RP1 had a higher jump ?

GI JOE- 8.3M true thursday       2.2 previews

RP1- 8.25 true thrusday           3.75 previews

Let's see if that friday number sticks

Edited by Alli

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

For those that have seen RPO, does it have the "family" possibility that a movie like Transformers had?  If so, the folks thinking of a nice legs run could be on to something...

I mean, there's still a full week+ of family viewing coming before the end of spring break...and no offense to the Gnomes, but like Ferdinand losing to Jumanji at Xmas, I could easily see Gnomes losing to RPO if it "works" for families...I mean, dads would be all over this movie...and I could see kids (especially gamer ones) loving this, too - or having dad hope they love it:)...

Yes. Same as Jurassic World.

• Like 2

It's still over an hour and a half until this showing of ICOI at one of my local theaters. It is certainly having a Good Friday in my area.

JZN0lzP.jpg

GND, however, is having a bad Friday. It lost its early Friday evening showtime at one of theaters in my area is having to settle for only one evening showing around 9:30. It is playing to OK but certainly not great crowds at another theater.

Edited by LonePirate
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

RPO was great. It's nice to see standalone action adventure movies again with this and Jumanji. Was really good in 3D as well.

I didn't see it in 3D but I had a PLF screen with Dolby Atmos and man those speakers were used in full effect, I imagine this would brilliant in 4DX.

I mentioned it in the RPO thread but I think this should a single film with no sequel

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I didn't see it in 3D but I had a PLF screen with Dolby Atmos and man those speakers were used in full effect, I imagine this would brilliant in 4DX.

I mentioned it in the RPO thread but I think this should a single film with no sequel

Yeah I don't like 3D anymore but I also saw it in a Dolby theater and the sound was insane.