Fancyarcher

Weekend Thread: Rampage 34.5M, AQP 32.6M, ToD 19M, RPO 11.2M, Blockers 10.2M

Im fucking upset with myself. I actually ended up liking Rampage. Its a decent action flick. 

I was sandwiched inbetween the most annoying people possible. One guy to my left  was always checking his phone(I saw he kept checking that marvel game on the iPhone, wtf?) and then the guys to my right kept talking to eachother in Hindi throughout the movie. I'm guessing he was explaining some scenes to his friend? it was annoying. 

Also, when the trailer for oceans 8 came on, one obnoxious guy shouted "its going to be so bad." Okay, dude we get it your precious oceans movie is now being made with women and you're upset. STFU about it you douche.

Edited by YLF
  • Sad 3

43 minutes ago, Sliver Legion said:

Not a great Friday for BP. Going to need some serious juice from IW if it wants to hit 700.

Maybe itll increase a good amount saturday. From what I remember through its run its Friday numbers have been low and it increases a good amount for some reason on Saturdays. However, it is late in its run so that may not be the case anymore.

THEORY'S TIME!!!!

Disney shifted "The Avengers"= cut the Rampage's profit and destroyed RPO third week-end bob-iger-disney.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=1

Edited by KeepItU25071906

45 minutes ago, baumer said:

Finally an update from DL

http://deadline.com/2018/04/dwayne-johnson-rampage-box-office-weekend-a-quiet-place-1202363694/

Rampage:  11.1

AQP:  10.2

Truth or Dare:  8

RPO:  2.8

I don't understand why RPO dropped so much this weekend after such a small drop last weekend.

It lost it's premium screens to Rampage so that's part of the reason.

Also, I feel the Sat bump will be stronger than last weekend. GIJ2 had a Sat bump of 40% on the 1st Sat and 70% on the 2nd Sat. Last Sat RPO jumped 63% and I hope it can do 80-90% this Sat

2.8 + 5.3 (+90%) + 3.4 (-36%) = 11.5 (-53%)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, a2knet said:

It lost it's premium screens to Rampage so that's part of the reason.

Also, I feel the Sat bump will be stronger than last weekend. GIJ2 had a Sat bump of 40% on the 1st Sat and 70% on the 2nd Sat. Last Sat RPO jumped 63% and I hope it can do 80-90% this Sat

2.8 + 5.3 (+90%) + 3.4 (-36%) = 11.5 (-53%)

I don't understand one thing: why Disney's releases always help each other, but it doesn't work with others studios? (Annabelle-It case is more like exception).

If F13 even helped it all that much it will have a muted rise. I think the real film that is going to die on Saturday is Truth or Dare. I expect it to have under a 2.0 multi by the end of it's theatrical run.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

Deadline says 11.1 for Rampage and EC said around 12 so hoping it does 11.5 if not more.

Optimistically,

2.4  + 9.1 + 12.75 (+40%) + 8.75 (-31%) = 33 ow / 11.5 od

If Friday the 13th pushed the audience towards horror films then Sat bump could be stronger than expected.

btw it's looking at ~$54 ow in China.

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Deadline says 11.1 for Rampage and EC said around 12 so hoping it does 11.5 if not more.

Optimistically,

If Friday the 13th pushed the audience towards horror films then Sat bump could be stronger than expected.

He also said around $11m for AQP for friday so what do you project with that friday?

42 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

AQP is going to fall hard on Sat because of the massive horror bump it received on Friday 13th.

Rampage should take first place. Good for The Rock.

Fall hard? Not gonna happen. You’ve been against this movie a lot since it’s success. Don’t rain it’s parade, please.

Truth or Dare will definitely fall hard today since it skews much much younger than that.

45 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Optimistically,

This is the 3rd straight WB movie thats not only gonna open higher in China than in US but also make more money in there than in DOM markets. Thats not a great thing when it comes to profit margins. Maybe WB should partner with a Chinese production company so that it can get a bigger chunk of the Chinese gross. 

Rampage is kind of a flop at the domestic boxoffice. The rock is not really a draw as the media makes him out to be. Hit and miss guy. Just look at gi Joe 2,  hercules and baywatch. I think he got lucky with San Andreas and Jumanji 2. 

Let's see how Skyscraper will do.

Hobbs and Shaw should do fine as it based on a hugely popular brand.

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

This is the 3rd straight WB movie thats not only gonna open higher in China than in US but also make more money in there than in DOM markets. Thats not a great thing when it comes to profit margins. Maybe WB should partner with a Chinese production company so that it can get a bigger chunk of the Chinese gross. 

I think then they may loose creative control and not get the product they desire and the movie may become less compatible with other markets too. It might lead to pandering and what they makeup in China they may loose elsewhere possibly in non-theatrical revenue too. On top of that Chinese audiences have responded well to good movies irrespective of who produces them so the %-share imo is not big enough a prize so far. WB's biggest movie in China, RPO, couldn't have been green-lit as a co-production looking at it's source material. Coco's success breaking a streak of Pixar and beating DM3's $160m total was counter-intuitive and movies like that would find it tough to be green-lit.

18 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Rampage is kind of a flop at the domestic boxoffice. The rock is not really a draw as the media makes him out to be. Hit and miss guy. Just look at gi Joe 2,  hercules and baywatch. I think he got lucky with San Andreas and Jumanji 2. 

Let's see how Skyscraper will do.

Hobbs and Shaw should do fine as it based on a hugely popular brand.

Yes he is.

26 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I think then they may loose creative control and not get the product they desire and the movie may become less compatible with other markets too. It might lead to pandering and what they makeup in China they may loose elsewhere possibly in non-theatrical revenue too. On top of that Chinese audiences have responded well to good movies irrespective of who produces them so the %-share imo is not big enough a prize so far. WB's biggest movie in China, RPO, couldn't have been green-lit as a co-production looking at it's source material. Coco's success breaking a streak of Pixar and beating DM3's $160m total was counter-intuitive and movies like that would find it tough to be green-lit.

I mentioned it mostly as joke tbh but I agree with ur points. WB must be delighted with the performance of their movies in China of late but the domestic performance must be disappointing. After all it is far better to make 100m dom than it is to make 200m in China