CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

40 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

There will always be an excuse . For BP it was zeitgeist something, something. You can bet that if IW explodes they will have some moronic excuses ready. I don’t make many bo predictions, I am not good at them but neither are most of these basement analysts that post here. 

You're such a sneering angry poster, aren't You? You always have some snide comment to make.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Tully is an indie title getting a semi-wide release only because of the people involved, not a major studio-made flick. It was never going to be a smash, especially when the previous Theron/Reitman/Cody collaboration (Young Adult) wasn't a hit either. 

Are you forgetting Juno being a smash and surprising everyone from the same team of writers/directors, or will you just deliberately ignore that?

for the record Young Adult’s release was also botched and it could’ve also succeeded more if they pushed it, but that was a different studio.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nova said:

Can someone explain to me why IW is gonna have legs higher than a 2.5? It's an MCU sequel. It's opening to enormous numbers already which take away from its legs. In its fourth and fifth weekends it's getting hit by two different $100M+ openers. Even well recieved MCU films aren't known for their great legs. Now of course there are always exceptions to everything (like BP which wasn't a sequel and got near universal acclaim plus GOTG which also wasn't a sequel and had all of August to itself) but I'm going to need someone to explain to me why IW would be an exception to everything we've known about not only MCU films but CBM in general. 

A 2.5 multiplier is being generous for this. 

Because I watched it twice back to back and will watch it at least a third time, a first for me. The only other movie that I watched twice in the theaters is the original avengers.

of course I am kidding with my own anecdotal evidence but why are some of you demanding essays about how this will do. Let’s let things roll and see what happens, maybe this is such a huge spectacle that will bring repeat viewers and general interest or maybe the ending will scare some people off and cut its legs. Nobody can tell for sure and there’s the worldwide box office too which could be great.

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

You're such a sneering angry poster, aren't You? You always have some snide comment to make.

Well when I have had to discuss PIGS in this forum then yep, I am. Oh and at least you will never see me in a Star Wars thread trolling (and I do mean NEVER, not once) or fighting in the fanboy wars thread. I stick to things that interest me positively and , once in a while, negatively like the dccu films.

Edited by Thrylos 7
  • Haha 1

Just now, That Ambitious Guy said:

Are you forgetting Juno being a smash and surprising everyone from the same team of writers/directors, or will you just deliberately ignore that?

You are aware that movie was a Best Picture nominee that appealed to and caught on with various different demos, right? 

Just now, baumer said:

These so called pigs have been analyzing this stuff for years. It'

Us so called pigs in this forum have been analyzing the box office for about 20 years. It's what we do on this forum. You drop in from time to time spout off some nonsense, act like a tough guy and do it while your safely behind a computer. Why don't you try being nice once in awhile? You don't have to be a cretin all the time.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Tully is an indie title getting a semi-wide release only because of the people involved, not a major studio-made flick. It was never going to be a smash, especially when the previous Theron/Reitman/Cody collaboration (Young Adult) wasn't a hit either. 

Very true. I think Tully looks really promising (and the early reviews back that feeling up), but seeing it get dumped into theaters in the tumbleweed week after Infinity War speaks to how far Jason Reitman's stock has fallen. He looked like he was going to be an important directorial voice after Juno and Up in the Air, and yet he's scuffled ever since.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

You are aware that movie was a Best Picture nominee that appealed to and caught on with various different demos, right? 

The film made $87M before Oscar nominations, it was a success long before then.  And there's no reason as to why Tully couldn't strike a chord with its key demo and expand beyond that.

Just now, baumer said:

Us so called pigs in this forum have been analyzing the box office for about 20 years. It's what we do on this forum. You drop in from time to time spout off some nonsense, act like a tough guy and do it while your safely behind a computer. Why don't you try being nice once in awhile? You don't have to be a cretin all the time.

Image result for clapping gif

3 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Because I watched it twice back to back and will watch it at least a third time, a first for me. The only other movie that I watched twice in the theaters is the original avengers.

of course I am kidding with my own anecdotal evidence but why are some of you demanding essays about how this will do. Let’s let things roll and see what happens, maybe this is such a huge spectacle that will bring repeat viewers and general interest or maybe the ending will scare some people off and cut its legs. Nobody can tell for sure and there’s the worldwide box office too which could be great.

Because I am on a box office forum and therefore I am going to discuss box office. When we discuss box office we give reasons as to why or why not a movie is going to make a certain amount. I clearly don't think IW will get above a 2.5x multiplier but I'm interested in hearing from those who think it will and why they think it will. 

25 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Well when I have had to discuss PIGS in this forum then yep, I am. Oh and at least you will never see me in a Star Wars thread trolling (and I do mean NEVER, not once) or fighting in the fanboy wars thread. I stick to things that interest me positively and , once in a while, negatively like the dccu films.

Some people follow movies at the box office for times you know when CBMs don’t open and probably know a thing or two. Again saying there’s a difference between trolling and pointing out things. If you can’t deal with negatives then you shouldn’t be on here.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

4 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Very true. I think Tully looks really promising (and the early reviews back that feeling up), but seeing it get dumped into theaters in the tumbleweed week after Infinity War speaks to how far Jason Reitman's stock has fallen. He looked like he was going to be an important directorial voice after Juno and Up in the Air, and yet he's scuffled ever since.

He also has The Frontrunner later this year with Hugh Jackman which also sounds promising so it sounds like he's getting back on track (creatively, at least) since the pretentious nonsense that was that "smart phones are evil" movie that didn't even come close to making $1M in total from a few years back.

Edited by filmlover

1 minute ago, That Ambitious Guy said:

The film made $87M before Oscar nominations, it was a success long before then.  And there's no reason as to why Tully couldn't strike a chord with its key demo and expand beyond that.

To be fair, Juno had a far, far, far wider prospective audience. It was a teen comedy with a unique premise and glowing reviews that allowed it to get both the mainstream teenagers that wouldn't usually show up for an awards movie and the adults that wouldn't usually show up for a teen movie. Tully, on the other hand, looks like an adult dramedy through and through. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it, but it wasn't going to have a ton of mainstream appeal even in the rosiest of circumstances.

Just now, Webslinger said:

To be fair, Juno had a far, far, far wider prospective audience. It was a teen comedy with a unique premise and glowing reviews that allowed it to get both the mainstream teenagers that wouldn't usually show up for an awards movie and the adults that wouldn't usually show up for a teen movie. Tully, on the other hand, looks like an adult dramedy through and through. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it, but it wasn't going to have a ton of mainstream appeal even in the rosiest of circumstances.

And targeting specifically adults over 40 can get you a lot of tickets sold.  That's a huge demographic right there.  It could've easily made $50M if they played their cards right.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

Dude, no offense but I wasn’t calling anybody a pig . Lol, come on that’s a bit funny, there was an.....ahem individual who attacked me , for not liking titanic, because I am a citizen of a country from the so called PIGS (Portugal,Ireland,Greece,Spain) that had/have financial problems, and attacked me in a very racist manner. These are the PIGS, hence the bold letters for the term, it’s not the animals:sparta::hahaha:

Edited by Thrylos 7