CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

11 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Agreed make no mistake this’ll open huge but legs 2.5x or higher seem generous or very wishful thinking.

What is BP currently at based on its opening weekend numbers?

4 minutes ago, a2knet said:

AIW could not beat DM3's theater count. How did DM3 manage 4500+?

2 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Animated films seem to also get enormous theater counts; I'm not certain, but I suspect a lot of single screen theaters choose family fair over other movies.

I have read this as the reason too. Apparently, animated films are far more profitable in those single screen theaters than other genres. Something to do with tiny theaters like these making a business selling package deals for kids (like birthday parties).

There are also a large number of drive-ins that aren't open for business yet, which is probably why IW couldn't go any higher in theater count.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, a2knet said:

AIW could not beat DM3's theater count. How did DM3 manage 4500+?

Like said above, G/PG movies have an edge, theater inside some commercial malls and some IMAX inside museum cannot play R or PG-13 movies I think.

• Like 2

I guess Tully will manage $10M or so.  But Jesus they’re really fucking up its release pattern.  If they actually pushed it into a decent theater count then it could definitely perform well.

Overboard is going into about as many theaters as I expected.  Should do a bit above Latin Lover #’s

• Like 1

I think when discussing whether being a part 1 movie will be a detriment to legs will depend on if people can still view this as a complete movie.

For example, Dead Man’s Chest is in reality a part 1 movie but it tells a complete story arch.  There’s a set, a climax and a conclusion (although it does include a cliffhanger at the end).  Compare this with say Mockingjay 1 which is all set up or Battle of Five Armies which is all climax, those movies had issues because they only gave audiences one long section of a typical story structure.

Another case you can see this is LOTR vs the Hobbits.  They’re both trilogies and part of the quality difference is each LOTR movie, while deeply connected to tell one story, tells a full story on its own.  Sure, Sauron isn’t completed until ROTK, but each of the movies has an overarching plot and resolution to it.  Fellowship sets up Frodo’s journey, and everything in it leads to the splitting of the Fellowship.  TTT tells a complete story of the War of the Ring in Rohan, and ROTK tells a complete story about Gondor.  You get a flowing plot structure with a beginning, middle and end.

The issue with say the hobbits bits in comparison is AUJ is mostly all beginning,  DOS is mostly all middle and BOFA is mostly all end.  

IW won’t be hampered by being a part 1 movie if it manages to tell a coherent three act story.  I think it gets hampered if it’s too much of one thing.  I also think the other dangers for legs are going to be if the story is to grim for repeat viewings (villain is triumphant movies don’t always have the best legs.  If Thanos isn’t triumphant though this may not be an issue) and the other danger is if IW can connect to an audience outside the fan base lining up on OW.

IW could potentially triumph over all of those dangers, but I think those are the big three things to look for.  Will IW’s flow as a part 1 movie hurt its reception?  Will it end up being too dark for people to want to give it as many repeat viewings as other movies?  Will it be able to connect outside its core fan base?

Edited by Critically Acclaimed Panda
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, That Ambitious Guy said:

I guess Tully will manage $10M or so.  But Jesus they’re really fucking up its release pattern.  If they actually pushed it into a decent theater count then it could definitely perform well.

Overboard is going into about as many theaters as I expected.  Should do a bit above Latin Lover #’s

This is the second club I've made that's been ruined by low TCs :sadno: 

• Haha 2

Just now, filmlover said:

Don't worry, you younglings will learn as you continue to gain box office experience and see how trends work.

Trends have shown that films targeting demos usually not catered to by major Hollywood studios tend to do well and go above expectations.  If Focus wasn’t shitting the bed with its release, then it’d be doing a lot more

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rumpot said:

For those who are so certain about how poor the legs for this movie are : if you end up wrong that hurts the credibility for your future predictions and will make your level of confidence irrelevant.  Just saying

No it doesn't. Because none of us has a crystal ball so none of us can jump ahead a month from now, all we can do is go by history and what other films that share the same DNA have done. And if you go by that then a week multiplier isn't store for this movie.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, That Ambitious Guy said:

Trends have shown that films targeting demos usually not catered to by major Hollywood studios tend to do well and go above expectations.  If Focus wasn’t shitting the bed with its release, then it’d be doing a lot more

Tully is an indie title getting a semi-wide release only because of the people involved, not a major studio-made flick. It was never going to be a smash, especially when the previous Theron/Reitman/Cody collaboration (Young Adult) wasn't a hit either. 

Edited by filmlover

Just now, filmlover said:

Tully is an indie title getting a semi-wide release only because of the people involved, not a studio-made flick. It was never going to be a smash, especially when the previous Theron/Reitman/Cody collaboration (Young Adult) wasn't a hit either. 

The movie has such a GA-friendly premise though. Plus, the trailer's been attached to quite a few movies. There's no reason it shouldn't have opened in 2k theaters given the release date and reception.

• Like 1

IW GREATER SACRAMENTO SELLOUT UPDATE: PREMIERE NIGHT - MID DAY UPDATE [12:30 - 1:15pm PDT]

(full info at the tracking thread)

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

81.05%

Total Sellouts Added last 15 hours:   6 (2 non reserved seating)

Total Shows Added last 15 hours:   8 (all non reserved seating)

Total Seats Added last 15 hours:   n/a

Total Seats Sold last 15 hours:      752

---

1.763 times as many seats sold as Black Panther at this point in time (12286 vs 6969)

1.516 times as many seats sold as final tracking check for Black Panther at 6:15pm PDT (12286 v 8104)

---

Not to be an enabler, but... @aabattery might want to check out the seats sold by Black Panther at the same point in time. :ph34r:

Edited by Porthos
  • Thanks 1