kayumanggi

AVENGERS ENDGAME | 1939.4 M overseas ● 2797.8 M worldwide

2 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

I enjoyed endgame more than avatar but seeing all the people in early May that was so sure of 3 billion 

gave me a good laugh 

well at that moment it wasnt that crazy and we didnt have lot of info, it was at least more logical than these 1 billion detective pickachu predictions , still with endgame we are in an uncharted terytorry   and 3  billion at that time seemed like a best case scenario, and i dont believe that it was crazy at all

Edited by john2000

1 minute ago, john2000 said:

well at that moment it wasnt that crazy and we didnt have lot of info, it was at least more logical than these 1 billion detective pickachu predictions 

looking back, anything is more logical than that but I couldn't see it at the height of hype. I was such a Pika billiever. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

I enjoyed endgame more than avatar but seeing all the people in early May that was so sure of 3 billion 

gave me a good laugh 

I was certain of original run besting 2.78 after week 1 and still certain with help it would beat it after the 2nd week. Absolutely no question my confidence has plummeted every single week especially this week with it losing 700 screens despite outperforming Pikachu.

Edited by cdsacken

Just now, john2000 said:

well at that moment it wasnt that crazy and we didnt have lot of info, it was at least more logical than these 1 billion detective pickachu predictions 

Which I laughed at before the release too. Detective Pikachu. I thought 600-700 million was likely but was wrong.

some people wouldn’t admit their wrong though 

congrats to avatar fans 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

I was certain of original run besting 2.78 after week and still certain with help it would beat it after the 2nd week. Absolutely no question my confidence has plummeted every single week especially this week with it losing 700 screens despite outperforming Pikachu.

Yeah it happens. 

With a opening weekend like that. 

Its hard use a comparison multiplayer. Uncharted territories 

• Like 1

I was convinced in 3B. After 1.2B WW OW and stellar WOM (well, it looked so in April/early May), I went off the grid to do other things abroad. when I came back, I couldn't believe it! I still don't know what happened, why it didn't hold better. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Minnale101 said:

Yeah it happens. 

With a opening weekend like that. 

Its hard use a comparison multiplayer. Uncharted territories 

Agreed. Even with amazing reviews and A+ it's gonna have what many would call mediocre legs. In the end it's gonna be #1 or #2 all time WW. Legs suck the joy out of watching the run but it's amazing nonetheless.

Avatar 2 may end up being a huge disappointment relative to expectations yet a huge success nominally.

While I don't encourage people rubbing it in their face lord knows the trolls deserve it. They should have been banned at least 5x as much in this thread.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Despite certain other fan claims there is nothing to confirm yet. It's got 3 more months in theaters and likely a rerelease after.

I am dying on this hill.  I agree it is not likely to beat Avatar, but I am on the beat Avatar train until it is out of theaters.  So many things like a Disney boost that can get it over, not like it’s $100 million away.  I guess I just like to be optimistic like ZattMurdock.

• Like 1

Thanks @Pure Spirit for that effort!

I didn't realize this earlier, but actually Charlie and Zatt sounded surprisingly similar early in Endgame's run, I am having quite a laugh. The only difference is that Charlie accepted the change in reality after seeing numbers and trends.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

8 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Despite certain other fan claims there is nothing to confirm yet. It's got 3 more months in theaters and likely a rerelease after.

If it does end up over Avatar there are going to be a lot of excuses going around.  Probably will say it cheated with a re-release/expansion even though Avatar did the same.  This is going to be a looooong ride just like Black Panther’s trek to $700 million.  Will Disney help it?  The world may never know.

24 minutes ago, GOATPeterJackson said:

The thing I don't understand so much about Cameron love (and I respect the hell out of Cameron) is that where does the emotional connection come from with his fans. So many people grew up with Marvel comics so this sort of love and nostalgia, while not really justifiable (they're just movies), is at least easily explained. When it comes to Cameron's body of work - yes, he's a legend, but at the same time, there's no meaningful connection between his films and it doesn't seem like very many people at all actually 'love' Avatar as a movie in and of itself. So it is almost like people live vicariously through Cameron's records/accomplishments, whereas when it comes to Marvel fans, MCU fanboys are defensive of their childhood interests and the 10 year MCU journey.

Charisma. Same reason why Nolanites would kill you if you gave a Nolan movie an A- not A. Some people just have Factor X that hypnotizes their fans, and by that I mean that they aren't trying to manipulate or anything. quite the contrary. For example, Nolan is calm intellectual yet his fandom is notoriously militant. it doesn't make any sense and yet here we are.  Cameron fans are super protective of Jim even though Jim is certified badass IRL and doesn't need protection. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, GOATPeterJackson said:

The thing I don't understand so much about Cameron love (and I respect the hell out of Cameron) is that where does the emotional connection come from with his fans. So many people grew up with Marvel comics so this sort of love and nostalgia, while not really justifiable (they're just movies), is at least easily explained. When it comes to Cameron's body of work - yes, he's a legend, but at the same time, there's no meaningful connection between his films and it doesn't seem like very many people at all actually 'love' Avatar as a movie in and of itself. So it is almost like people live vicariously through Cameron's records/accomplishments, whereas when it comes to Marvel fans, MCU fanboys are defensive of their childhood interests and the 10 year MCU journey.

It is very weird, I think they are very similar with people who jump on the bandwagon of the number one sports team.  The man’s achievements are crazy impressive, but it’s odd how they all call him Jim, worship his accomplishments, and act like they are good friends with the guy.

• Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, Doctor Stark said:

It is very weird, I think they are very similar with people who jump on the bandwagon of the number one sports team.  The man’s achievements are crazy impressive, but it’s odd how they all call him Jim, worship his accomplishments, and act like they are good friends with the guy.

I lol'd at them calling him Jim.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, GOATPeterJackson said:

I lol'd at them calling him Jim.

Honestly, I’ve just been truly annoyed with them since they got this thread locked due to excessive trolling and derailing.  Do your own stuff in the Avatar 2 thread, don’t invade others.  If you do, actually have something useful to say instead of hate and belittling.

I've no problem with Cameron fans. I just think that they should change their mindset that only Cameron can/should/will dethrone Cameron. he pulled it off twice, awesome, hats off to him. But nothing lasts forever so accept that he's already dethroned by JJ Abrams domestically so whether he'll be dethroned by Russos (a step up from Abrams, imo) or another really doesn't matter once it happened. No point holding onto WW or OS record for dear life. It's natural that another movie will do it eventually, and it's natural that it's not going to be his movie. It's really no big deal. he spent 18 years (til TFA) virtually unchalleneged which is a rare feet. Asking for more is just an overkill. Now I'm gonna shut up about this topic. 

Edited by Valonqar