59 members have voted

1. 1. Grade John Carter

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

It's nowhere near as bad as the GA have been led to believe, but it is too long, with unnecessary prologues that should have been cut out in editing, and McNulty was woeful casting. But whenever the Princess was on screen it was decent.B

I think I'm going to raise this to a B on second viewing. It's still a narrative (and, unfortunately, technical) mess in places and loaded with plotholes (probably unavoidable given the source material), but really comes alive as a cinematic event from John's rescue of Dejah to the end. I appreciated John and Dejah's relationship more than I did before, and I think the rescue as well as the climax are some of the most entertaining action sequences of the year.

Edited by tribefan695

It's no-where near as bad as people have made out. Everyone seemed to just jump on a bandwagon when this came out. Sure it has it's problems, but it also has moments of greatness. It's certainly better than some crap that's come out this year. Had the marketing not been so poor, it may have actually turned in a profit. Anyways, this is at the top of my list for most underrated movies of 2012.B

Edited by Jessie
  • Like 2

How long would it take you in JC's place to figure out you are on Mars?Having all of us seen pictures of barren Mars we would never take that into consideration. Some one said a parallel world. Really? I once saw a prank video, where they wanted to make an inteligent man believe he was suddenly transported (through a tunnel they made up on a dreary day) from Germany to Finnland. They left the car with him and around him everything was finnisch. The shop had only finnish goods. Every inscription was in finnsch. People around him spoke only finnisch. The prank-player suggested to him a time-tunnel travel to Finnland. Of course it did not work. Our man asked if there was a finisch enclave in Germany (as possible explanation).

They should have tried harder to avoid deja vues. The famous fight in the arena scene could have been made with different camera angles.

The ape fight is really, if you'll forgive me for saying, overrated. It's nowhere near the best action scene in the movie, mostly because of a certain cheap editing shortcut they make that removes what should've been one of the more eventful moments in the fight.

The ape fight is really, if you'll forgive me for saying, overrated. It's nowhere near the best action scene in the movie, mostly because of a certain cheap editing shortcut they make that removes what should've been one of the more eventful moments in the fight.

I thought everyone agreed that Carter single handedly killing hundreds of them green aliens was by far the best action scene in the film. However my favourite scene was when he's first transported to Mars and is learning to walk without falling.

I thought John Carter was a fun adventure yarn with nice visuals, though sadly the animated characters gave better performances than most of the live actors. Everyone except Lynn Collins was pretty flat, and the movie would have benefited greatly from a more charismatic actor in the lead role.B

Took me a long time to see this (was only offered in 3D here which I try to avoid for 2D films), but I can understand why this became such a flop.  The main weaknesses:

- John Carter: No, it's not Talor Kitsch's fault. The script does give us very little to care fore him. In fact, this gets better the longer the story lasts, but during the first hour he's a very pale character.

- Dejah Thoris: Suffers from a kind of multiple personality disorder. She changes between warrior-scientist-woman and obnoxious-screaming-teenage-princess and damsel-in-distress, and all this with lightning speed. Come on guys, if you have a real woman like Lynn Collins, just cut those girl-princess-lines from the script. (btw, her costumes could have been a little more, eh, vulgar, no?)

- Politics: No, I didn't really care for the behind-the-scenes conflicts.

- Visuals: Very bland for a colourful adventure. And Mars should be redder. The Tharks looked very good, the flying ships less so.

- Action: Some nice action pieces, but nothing really breathtaking - and what's worse, many of the action scenes did little to nothing to advance the plot. The jumping was really bad, and while I can accept that in a film like this, scientific accurateness is of no concern, such simple mechanical laws as actio=reactio should be observed since our animal brains can easily spot such impossibilities as swinging a rock 5 times your own weight around. Or jumping from and landing on a floating object without dipping it into the water.

Most of the problems are really script problems, and I don't know how they managed to get this greenlighted at Disney. I guess Andrew Stanton has to carry some of that responsability. Basically what we have here is a girl-gets-saved-by-reluctant-hero-and-they-fall-in-love story (no, the politics don't interest anyone), not exactly the rocket science of screenwriting. Take a look at "Romancing the Stone". Hell, take a look at "Star Wars".

That said, maybe they'll give it another try? A fun, colourful, vulgar John Carter adventure might be a really nice thing. This wasn't.

One of the years worst films. 

Awful. Everybody I was with spent alot of the movie laughing at the cheesy dialogue and illogical plot points.  Some of the visuals were great, but the acting and script killed it. One of if not the worst of 2012.

Your wrongness amuses me.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1