The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

Can't believe Panda decided to include the troll's box office list ("his reasoning seemed sincere" lmao!).. Anyhow, that's a mistake on his part.

A fuck-up on my part is that I didn't include 2001 in my list. Rewatched it the other day and it's still so fucking good.

Also, one of these days I have to get around to watching the Before movies.

Also also, Mulholland Drive is possibly the best movie of the 21st century, so it's no surprise it didn't stand a chance here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I didn't hate Sunset :lol:

It's just not my favorite.

Hey, I'm just quoting things you said. I'd dig up the quotes but it's late and I want to sleep.

6 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I said it's cynical. I didn't say it's the most cynical movie ever.

On 7/17/2017 at 3:28 PM, Ethan Hunt said:

Before Sunset is literally the most cynical thing I've ever seen. I actively dislike it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... see I'm already coming around to it. I'll watch it again before we do this again and recheck my feels towards it. Probably wasn't entirely fair to watch it right after having watched Sunrise

Edited by Ethan Hunt

1 hour ago, RandomCat said:

Also, I don't like that Avatar is above: 

Reveal hidden contents

*Grumble annoyed grumble*

Am I going to have to put Avatar 1st next year to counteract the BOT hate?

It's deserving of it's spot and should be higher

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Am I going to have to put Avatar 1st next year to counteract the BOT hate?

It's deserving of it's spot and should be higher

Arguing over whether a movie 'deserves' to be higher or lower on this list is nonsense. It's about getting a picture of BOT's taste. 

Seems to me a lot of people on this board would have sneered at George C. Scott for refusing the Academy Award, when I see it as one of the most noble gestures in movie history. 

Edited by JamesCameronScholar

4 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Arguing over whether a movie 'deserves' to be higher or lower on this list is nonsense. It's about getting a picture of BOT's taste. 

Seems to me a lot of people on this board would have sneered at George C. Scott for refusing the Academy Award, when I see it as one of the most noble gestures in movie history. 

why did he refuse it?

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

why did he refuse it?

General disdain for the Oscars but also (from his wikipedia page) - [he said] months in advance that he would do so on philosophical grounds if he won. Scott believed that every dramatic performance was unique and could not be compared to others.

1 minute ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

General disdain for the Oscars but also (from his wikipedia page) - [he said] months in advance that he would do so on philosophical grounds if he won. Scott believed that every dramatic performance was unique and could not be compared to others.

Damn that's cool and also makes a load of sense, assigning scores to artistry is pretty dumb in retrospect.

I might consider doing the highest grossing list next year I'll have to think it over.

1 minute ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I think I agree with him. I mean, we can tell when an actor is doing a bad job, but if a performance is Oscar-quality, it becomes harder to compare it with others.

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I might consider doing the highest grossing list next year I'll have to think it over.

I have a feeling this would get us both blacklisted Jimbo, you saw how mad the powers that be became when I stepped out of line. 

3 minutes ago, Slambros said:

I think I agree with him. I mean, we can tell when an actor is doing a bad job, but if a performance is Oscar-quality, it becomes harder to compare it with others.

Yes, I really respect him for it, one of the few times I really admired an actor for their thoughtfulness. 

Just now, JamesCameronScholar said:

I have a feeling this would get us both blacklisted Jimbo, you saw how mad the powers that be became when I stepped out of line. 

Yes, I really respect him for it, one of the few times I really admired an actor for their thoughtfulness. 

Good point, I'll just have to keep box office more in mind when choosing.

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

If you disregard James Cameron Scholar's list it's in the 100s somewhere.

I'm honestly more disappointed by some true classics that defined cinema and story telling, are ranked lower. But at least 85 movies will be above Avatar, and I'll be just as disappointed by some of them.

1 minute ago, RascarCapat said:

Haha I forgot all you two do all day long is answering each other on the Avatar 2 thread for pages and pages...

And here now also apparently.

Wait... Wasn't there a third guy ? But who made unintelligible posts ?

Kal transcended this world and is now one with Eywa. 

• Haha 5