The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

Blade Runner obviously deserves its spot.

14 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

"One of the most important and influential film of all time.And scott hated this movie for decades and he now pretends it is his favourite movie.Masterpieces are sometimes beautiful accident, Scott and Ford hated each other and the movie was a nightmare to shoot.The Rutger Hauer final monologue still gives me chills to this day, pure sci fi poetry." - @The Futurist

This is quite surprising to me. Blade Runner seems to me exactly like the kind of movie The Futurist would go on a lunatic rant about, telling us how pretentious we all are for enjoying such a gritty pseudo-intellectual movie and how this is precisely the kind of movie that sets Hollywood back or something.

• Haha 4

In honor of @Telemachos

lawrence-of-arabia-542050c18b43a.jpg

Number 87

Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

Horizon Picture, Directed by David Lean (48 Points, 13 Votes)

MPW-21346

"No Arab loves the desert. We love water and green trees. There is nothing in the desert and no man needs nothing."

Number 1 Placements: 1

Top 25 Placements: 4

Previous Rankings: 2016 (21, -66), 2014 (47, -40), 2013 (31, -56), 2012 (66, -21)

Awards Count: Won 7 Oscars, Including Best Picture

Tomatometer: 98% (9.1 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 44.8m (507.3m Adjusted)

Synopsis: The story of T.E. Lawrence, the English officer who successfully united and led the diverse, often warring, Arab tribes during World War I in order to fight the Turks.

Critic Opinion: "The personal story of T.E. Lawrence and his real-life military achievement in Arabia during World War I, is told in a series of scenes that become as complex on the screen as was the personality of the man responsible for them. As a young British lieutenant, Lawrence was sent to Arabia by British Intelligence and there worked a military miracle. Lawrence is superbly represented on the screen by Peter O'Toole." - Kate Cameron

User Opinions: "LOA's script is a masterpiece of subtlety and economy. There's not a wasted word." - @Telemachos

"Worth seeing on the big screen in 70mm if you ever get a chance. It's truly stunning." - @Telemachos

"I remember jizzing all over that screen like Ethan Hunt when he saw La La Land." - @Telemachos

Commentary: Coming in quite a bit lower than we're used to seeing it (partially because no Tele votes to inflate this film up the list like years in the past), is one of the quintessential epics.  Lawrence of Arabia shows an auteur at his absolute prime, with talents such as Alec Guinnes and Peter O'Toole to raise the film to an even higher level.  Almost any true epic you've seen, that isn't a David Lean epic, is in someway trying to emulate what David Lean has done here and in a few of his other films.  Lawrence had a few passion votes and found itself on 21% of the lists that were submitted.

Decade Count: 10s (4), '00s (3), 80s (2), 70s (2), 90s (1), 60s (1), 50s (1)

Director Count: Paul Thomas Anderson (1), James Cameron (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1) Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Richard Linklater (1), Katia Lund (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Roman Polanski (1), Gus van Sant (1), Ridley Scott (1), Isao Takahata (1)

Franchise Count: Blade Runner (1), James Cameron (1), Monty Python (1), Star Wars (1), Studio Ghibli (1)

Genre Count: Drama (4), Sci-Fi (4), Epic (4), Crime/Noir (3), Adventure (3), Fantasy (2), Action (2), Thriller (2), Period Piece (2), Animation (1), Comedy (1), Musical (1), Tragedy (1), War (1), Western (1), Bio-Pic (1)

rebwyz6un28z.png

• Like 13
  • ...wtf 1

Blade Runner released today would be completely destroyed and I am mean catapulted into another dimension because of the nature of Deckard/Rachel's relationship & their "rapey" love scene.

#Progress

#BeWoke

Edited by The Futurist
  • Haha 1

I saw Lawrence of Arabia on a big screen and you can definitely see some horses having their legs completely breaking when they make that jump from the wagon of the train.

Truly Horrific stuff, I was appalled & sad.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Sad 1

unforgiven-513d00be5b1ad.jpg

Number 86

Unforgiven (1992)

Warner Bros, Directed by Clint Eastwood (48 Points, 14 Votes)

unforgiven.jpg?x56396

"Deserve's got nothin' to do with it."

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 25 Placements: 4

Previous Rankings: 2016 (Unranked), 2014 (Unranked), 2013 (Unranked), 2012 (83, -3)

Awards Count: Won 4 Oscars, Including Best Picture

Tomatometer: 96% (8.7 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 101.6m (223.4m Adjusted)

Synopsis: Retired Old West gunslinger William Munny reluctantly takes on one last job, with the help of his old partner and a young man.

Critic Opinion: "Unforgiven is a stark western in slow motion, obsessed with reflection, not action. When Munny at last guns down the first of the two suspects, Eastwood (working from a screenplay by David Webb Peoples) keeps the scene going. The bleeding man screams, “Jesus, I’m so thirsty,” and Munny, from his secure vantage, demands that the outlaw’s companions take him a drink. It’s this kind of emotional and situational complexity — ninety minutes of narrative tension leading up to a shouted conversation about water as a body bleeds out — that continues to distinguish Unforgiven." - Danny King

User Opinion: "This film really just spits in the face of the old western genre but into a good way.

Shows how hard and unforgiving it was." - @Lordmandeep

"An absolute masterpiece from start to finish. " - @Joel M

Commentary: The second entry on this list to have won Best Picture, and certainly not the last, Unforgiven is a unique deconstruction of the Western genre by one of old king's of the genre himself.  Unforgiven takes Western cliches and meditates on them, twisting them around giving plenty of meat and material for viewers to contemplate on many viewings through it.  While it may not be the most iconic Western of all-time, many see it as a closing remark on the genre, with a story that filled a hole as a self-aware story in a genre that often lacked that self-awareness.  Unforgiven scored an average of a 3.4 from each user that voted for it, and it was seen on around 23% of the lists that were submitted.

Decade Count: 10s (4), '00s (3), 80s (2), 70s (2), 90s (2), 60s (1), 50s (1)

Director Count: Paul Thomas Anderson (1), James Cameron (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Richard Linklater (1), Katia Lund (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Roman Polanski (1), Gus van Sant (1), Ridley Scott (1), Isao Takahata (1)

Franchise Count: Blade Runner (1), James Cameron (1), Monty Python (1), Star Wars (1), Studio Ghibli (1)

Genre Count: Drama (4), Sci-Fi (4), Epic (4), Crime/Noir (3), Adventure (3), Fantasy (2), Action (2), Thriller (2), Period Piece (2), Western (2), Animation (1), Comedy (1), Musical (1), Tragedy (1), War (1), Bio-Pic (1)

067.png

• Like 14
  • Astonished 1

EXCELLENT. 

This reminds me of when my father and I saw a TV spot for Hostiles and it said, "It's the Best Western Since Unforgiven."

Me: They really need a new Western.  Every Western is the best Western since Unforgiven.

Dad: Well, it only came out a couple years ago.

Me: Dad, it came out in the 1990s.

Dad: What?

Me: *looks up IMBD* Dad, it came out in 1992.  It's twenty-six years old.
Dad: *stares at me*

Me: *stares at him*

Dad: We're old.

Me: We're old.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

download.php?type=download&image=111696&

Number 85

The Princess Bride (1987)

20th Century Fox, Directed by Rob Reiner (48 Points, 17 Votes)

ThePrincessBride-web_original.jpg

"My name is Inigo Montoya.  You killed my father.  Prepare to die."

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 2

Top 25 Placements: 3

Previous Rankings: 2016 (Unranked), 2014 (Unranked), 2013 (Unranked), 2012 (Unranked)

Awards Count: Nominated for 1 Oscar

Tomatometer: 97% (8.3 Avg Rating) 

Box Office: 30.9m (72.3m Adjusted)

Synopsis: While home sick in bed, a young boy's grandfather reads him a story called The Princess Bride.

Critic Opinion: "Although children generally appreciate The Princess Bride's pseudo-fairy tale narrative and action-oriented approach, much of the dialogue is designed for adults. Mostly credited to Goldman (except the Crystal ad-libs), it's brilliant stuff. The quips traded by Inigo and Westley during their duel are as impressive as the actual swordsmanship. Vizzini's double-talk about which cup is poisoned (during the battle of wits) needs to be listened to several times before it begins to make twisted sense.

Since its release more than 15 years ago, The Princess Bride has often been copied, but never equaled. Perhaps the most successful movie to capture its essential spirit was the animated Shrek. The word "brilliant" is often overused in the movie business, but this is one of those occasions when it is warranted. The Princess Bride is an unparalleled achievement ? a modern classic that will be enjoyed for generations to come. It has been called the "Generation X's version of The Wizard of Oz," and, more than any other description, that comes the closest to identifying this movie's impact." - James Berardinelli 

User Opinion: "The most beloved film of my childhood and it's the type of delightful movie that adults will probably enjoy more than children. Just so many hilarious, classic moments and lines." - @Ariadne

"a rule I don't like the postmodern, overly self-conscious or ironic approach, especially when doing fantasy. Why then is ist that I can watch "The Princess Bride" at least twice a year and always enjoy? Must have been pure luck, I can't imagine those wildly differing elements coming together into a similar nice film ever again." - @IndustriousAngel

Commentary: The Princess Bride comes into this list for the first time, and it'd be hard to justifiably complain about its appearance here.  The Princess Bride is a children's classic that takes a simple story that might come up during a local dungeons and dragons game, and turns it into a hilarious and good-natured adventure.  The children's book narration style telling of the story helped to cement the film past simply being an odd fantasy tale.  The Princess Bride boasts the most broad support of any film so far including on the list, with it being included on around 28% of the lists submitted, although the passion was noticeably lower with an average number of 2.8 points given per list.

Decade Count: 10s (4), '00s (3), 80s (3), 70s (2), 90s (2), 60s (1), 50s (1)

Director Count: Paul Thomas Anderson (1), James Cameron (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Richard Linklater (1), Katia Lund (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Roman Polanski (1), Rob Reiner (1), Gus van Sant (1), Ridley Scott (1), Isao Takahata (1)

Genre Count: Adventure (4), Drama (4), Sci-Fi (4), Epic (4), Crime/Noir (3), Fantasy (3), Action (2), Thriller (2), Period Piece (2), Western (2), Animation (1), Comedy (1), Musical (1), Tragedy (1), War (1), Bio-Pic (1), Children (1)

tumblr_nmrxrdG3LS1qetb0ho1_1280.jpg

Edited by Critically Acclaimed Panda
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 4

12 hours ago, Empire said:

Forgot about Dunkirk, you are probably right. :gold:

I didn't vote :sparta:, so maybe it doesn't make it.

Just know I could have absolutely convinced some non-caring lackeys to tilt the scales in God Nolan's favor. :Venom:

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Commentary: The Princess Bride comes into this list for the first time, and it'd be hard to justifiably complain about its appearance here.  The Princess Bride is a children's classic that takes a simple story that might come up during a local dungeons and dragons game, and turns it into a hilarious and good-natured adventure.  The children's book narration style telling of the story helped to cement the film past simply being an odd fantasy tale.  The Princess Bride boasts the most broad support of any film so far including on the list, with it being included on around 28% of the lists submitted, although the passion was noticeably lower with an average number of 2.8 points given per list.

YES, HELL YES! It was 2nd on my list, I'm so happy it has made it!

I love this movie so much. It honestly has everything I love in a work of fiction. It has forever changed my taste in movies and books in general.

:wub:

Edited by Arlborn
can't put my love for it into words properly
  • Like 5

Princess Bride!  Yay!  The first film on the countdown that was on my list.  

So quotable.

So adorable.

Robin Wright is stupendous.

My name is Inigo Montoya, you know the rest.

• Like 4