CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

Deadpool isn't a family friendly film and it's a sequel, one had to expect lots of front loading was at least possible.

That preview number is 38% of OD which is unheard of even for front loaded films. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

The early projections for Solo came out today and they have it opening in the 12o to 140 Million range, same as projected for Deadpool 2.

And that would be an really weak opening for a SW film. OH, it would still make Disney a lot of money, but not be the cash cow the past 3 SW films have been.

Serious point of inquiry:  How good were the early projections for the OW of Justice League a week before release?

Did those same projections have the movie opening higher than the sub-100m OW it got?  At which point did the JL numbers become surprising?

I think a lot of people are processing this too seriously. How do you integrate the current DP into the MCU? You just do it. Poof he's there.

MCU is different from the X-men movies, since the X-men movies don't know what they hell they are doing half of the time when it comes to the timeline.

Also do you neuter Deadpool and turn him PG-13 just to put in the MCU movies? MCU has showed reluctance to make rated R movies.

• Like 1

My theater royally fucked up with DP2 in terms of the night showings. 

They added another 10:15PM and 10:45PM showtime but added them so late that I'm not sure it would make a difference for tonight 

Edited by Nova

Just now, REC said:

Serious point of inquiry:  How good were the early projections for the OW of Justice League a week before release?

Did those same projections have the movie opening higher than the sub-100m OW it got?  At which point did the JL numbers become surprising?

Pretty sure projections a week out were 120-130 or so. It wasn't until Thursday numbers rolled in that sub-100 seemed like a real possibility.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

MCU is different from the X-men movies, since the X-men movies don't know what they hell they are doing half of the time when it comes to the timeline.

Also do you neuter Deadpool and turn him PG-13 just to put in the MCU movies? MCU has showed reluctance to make rated R movies.

It merely takes some clever writing to make those issues work.  Correct, Xmen is a mess and multiple actors have played the same characters... so honestly who cares who or how you integrate it.

There are probably smart ways to write DP in the MCU while giving the impression that he's not neutered.  Or you make the fact that he's neutered part of the joke.  The latter could be extremely funny if done well, and be surprising to the audience.  They'd get it too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Han Solo is gonna be considered a bomb for the AGES next weekend. 

Han Solo will not bomb, it will make money for Disney.

But it is going to make a lot less then what The Mouse is used to from a SW film.

Big Disspaointment, yes, bomb no.

But I wonder if how much the massive reshoot on the film swelled the budget of the film come into play now.

Well Bob Iger said Deadpool can remain R Rated at Disney. They're not dumb enough to neuter part of the appeal of Deadpool which is the R Rating. I think what will happen first is MCU characters will make appearances in Deadpool films before the other way around happens. 

"It [Deadpool] clearly has been and will be Marvel branded. But we think there might be an opportunity for a Marvel-R brand for something like Deadpool," said Iger. "As long as we let the audiences know what's coming, we think we can manage that fine."

I think whether the X Men remains separate or gets rebooted into the MCU depends on how well the next couple of X Men film do at the box office.

It's undergoing a de facto reboot right now,but if the next couple of films don't perform really well,Feige will get his Unified Marvel Universe,with maybe Deadpool off in his own world.

ANd Iger is not dumb, if the DP films continue to make big bucks RYan will be allowed to do his own thing. That Ryan can work within a modest budget..and 100 Milliion is modest by today's blockbuster standards is another thing in Ryan's favor.

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Han Solo will not bomb, it will make money for Disney.

But it is going to make a lot less then what The Mouse is used to from a SW film.

Big Disspaointment, yes, bomb no.

But I wonder if how much the massive reshoot on the film swelled the budget of the film come into play now.

I'm not as certain as you.  Weren't there rumors that the production budget went over 300m?  Basically stemming from shooting the movie twice.  This doesn't seem like an entirely unreasonable estimate, given that RO had a production budget of 200m, and we know the reshot/scrunched JL cost WB a lot more than they wanted to admit to.

If that's true, their break even including marketing costs is what... 450m give or take?  Which means the movie needs BO gross something in the neighborhood of 750-800m to break even.

Rogue One would seem to be the target.  RO basically made 1bn WW, for Solo that might be a decent profit.  But if it can't do RO numbers I would think it would be at risk of being the first unprofitable SW movie.