CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

Just now, EmpireCity said:

I think it will end up around $5m or so.  

Good number.  Was hoping it might get closer to 20 this weekend, but with a nice increase tomorrow, it could do 15-16 million.  I think the legs will be quite good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Good number.  Was hoping it might get closer to 20 this weekend, but with a nice increase tomorrow, it could do 15-16 million.  I think the legs will be quite good.

I think legs will be good for it as well. It's a good counter act to the blockbusters coming out 

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

It seems that the numbers take precedent at times over our enjoyment of a film.  When I was really young, I didn't really care if ET made 400 million, or if Last Crusade lost out the summer crown to Batman. 

C'mon... you know the Indy/Batman fandom wars would have been inevitable on the hypothetical internet forums of 1989. ;)

Honestly though, I agree with the content of that post. Once I realized - circa mid-to-late 2008 - that box office didn't really mean anything with regard to a film's quality or lack thereof, it felt like quite a few new doors opened up. I was kinda there before that point - I did spring for There Will Be Blood as my top film of 2007, after all - but it took a few years of discovering movies on an artistic plane while also following box office to fully separate one from the other.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Mekanos said:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but in the forum titled "Box Office Discussion," isn't it expected that people are going to talk primarily about box office? 

Yeah, but this sub-section of discussion is about associating judgments about a film's quality with its box office gross.

• Like 4

I of course want DP2 to make as much money as it can but I'd take a solid sequel over a good box office run for it. I'd love if it could have both but it is what it is. 

*Ill of course still continue with my melt downs (it's only one weekend after all) but just saying I'd rather have a film I enjoy than a film that makes a ton of money and I don't like it. 

2 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but in the forum titled "Box Office Discussion," isn't it expected that people are going to talk primarily about box office? 

I agree. I thought this forum was about discussing box office numbers?

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

I doubt there will be many meltdowns over solo as the goal post of that film have been lowered so much that if they are met ...it will be a success against the "hoard of haters"

You're gonna get banned from the weekend thread before we get any preview numbers, aren't you? 

:hahaha:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, baumer said:

Members of the forums, somebody just used rth his name on Twitter when quoting Guru. I don't know who it was but you guys seriously have to keep this stuff in house only. The two guys that provide us numbers do so in the assumption that they are doing it in complete anonymity. Whoever did that please don't ever freaking do it again.

This should be pinned

3 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

C'mon... you know the Indy/Batman fandom wars would have been inevitable on the hypothetical internet forums of 1989. ;)

Honestly though, I agree with the content of that post. Once I realized - circa mid-to-late 2008 - that box office didn't really mean anything with regard to a film's quality or lack thereof, it felt like quite a few new doors opened up. I was kinda there before that point - I did spring for There Will Be Blood as my top film of 2007, after all - but it took a few years of discovering movies on an artistic plane while also following box office to fully separate one from the other.

I'm slowly getting to that point again.  I have found that the box office has tainted my enjoyment of lack thereof of some film.  It's no one's fault but my own.  I've been posting on Mojo and now here since 2002.  I've tried to pull back from here a bit more just so that I can see a film and not really care if it does well at the box office or not.

I mean, I don't think any of us are losing sleep here because Infinity War might not cross 700 million... this is just a fun little hobby where it's nice to see the numbers and learn the statistics of it all. Either way these massive corporations are making millions of dollars so this does not affect my life in any meaningful way. The meltdowns/shitposting are just for fun. (At least on my end...)

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

I of course want DP2 to make as much money as it can but I'd take a solid sequel over a good box office run for it. I'd love if it could have both but it is what it is. 

*Ill of course still continue with my melt downs (it's only one weekend after all) but just saying I'd rather have a film I enjoy than a film that makes a ton of money and I don't like it. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm my own worst enemy.  I care way too much about my favourite films doing well or not.  It's like following your fave sports team.

• Like 1

I'm one of those people that liked The Last Jedi and I'm looking forward to the follow up but has no interest in what I think is a pointless side story in Solo. I wonder how many people will be like me? Next weekend should be interesting.

Just now, EmpireCity said:

It looks like Deadpool 2 is going to come in on the lower end of RTH's range.  

52 or so?

Just now, baumer said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm my own worst enemy.  I care way too much about my favourite films doing well or not.  It's like following your fave sports team.

That's pretty much what it is. And the moment I love a film I want it to do well. For example, a film could be doing bad at the box office but I won't let that taint my view of the film when I go see it. However if I enjoy it after seeing it, I want it to do better. I don't let the box office change my view of how I feel about a film/whether I enjoyed it or not. 

• Like 1