Daxtreme

Dax's Top 47 Movie Fight Sequences | Land of the GIFS | We have a winner!

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

@Daxtreme...just answer us this....is your number one a film us Westerners have heard of or is it going to be something like The Monkey King (for example) where it is known in Asia but not really over here.  

I feel like it has to be something out of HK, they pioneered the entire movement, without the Shaw Brothers Studio I'm not sure what action movies would even look like today. Then again, I'm not dax and it's his choice and own personal criteria. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I feel like it has to be something out of HK, they pioneered the entire movement, without the Shaw Brothers Studio I'm not sure what action movies would even look like today. Then again, I'm not dax and it's his choice and own personal criteria. 

Yea, he has a very vast knowledge of this genre, but he did say that the final 25 would be giants in the genre.  So that leads me to believe it should be something that we've all heard of.  Some of the fights I think will show up is Jet Li vs everyone in The Shaolin Temple, maybe Bruce Lee fighting someone like Kareem Abdul Jabar and if I had to pick the number one fight, it would be the first Raid.  The end fight.

So that is my guess.  I don't think it's going to be right, but that's my guess.  I think Dax is going to go with something a little more classic like an early Jet Li or Chan or Lee.  

• Like 2

I just watched an interview with Chuck Norris and he spoke about his fight with Lee in Return of the Dragon.  Here are some highlights of the interview:

Norris said that he first met Lee in New York City when Norris was fighting for the world title and Lee was in the Green Hornet.

They were introduced by a promoter.

They were staying in the same hotel and met again on the elevator.  

They got to Norris' floor  and were so deep in conversation about philosophy and technique that they started doing a bit of training right in the hallway.  They started at 11:30pm and by the time they were done, it was 7AM.  Norris said he thought they were there for no more than an hour.

Lee went back to HK after Hornet was cancelled and the first two movies he made were the highest grossing films in HK history, surpassing The Sound of Music (2.4 million).  This was Fist of Fury.  The second film he did was called The Chinese Connection which grossed 4.3 million dollars.  Bruce was a box office giant.

Then Bruce called Norris out of the blue and asked him to be in Way of the Dragon.

Bruce said that the fight would be epic and it would be like two gladiators fighting in the Colosseum.  You'll notice that at the end of the fight, Lee puts his robe over Norris and gives him his belt.  This was a sign of respect.  

The fight took 5 days to film.

• Like 3

Nice interview! 

It was indeed a battle of the titan! 

To answer your question, yes the #1 movie isn't some obscure movie no one has heard of. 

Apart from a few real hidden gems, I think most of you guys in here will have at least heard of the movies in the top 25!

• Thanks 2

I've really got to thank you @Daxtreme.  This might be my favourite countdown that's ever been put on here.  I love the martial arts and although I haven't seen as many as I would like to, I'm knee deep in this stuff.  I watched a lot of Bruce Lee when I was a kid and I eventually started looking out for names like Jet Li, Chan, Norris and of course some of the other classic names like Sonny Chiba.  I also paid attention to the fight choreography in the Matrix because of the legendary fight choreographer Woo-Ping Yuen.  The story of how they got him to do the movie is amazing.

He didn't want to do the movie so he asked for and received full control over the fights, including training the cast for 4 months and he asked for and received an exorbitant salary.

Watching these clips and reading your summary of them has also really inspired me to get in better shape too.

In short, thanks for doing this.  It's exactly what I needed at this time of my life.  I love this countdown!

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, baumer said:

I've really got to thank you @Daxtreme.  This might be my favourite countdown that's ever been put on here.  I love the martial arts and although I haven't seen as many as I would like to, I'm knee deep in this stuff.  I watched a lot of Bruce Lee when I was a kid and I eventually started looking out for names like Jet Li, Chan, Norris and of course some of the other classic names like Sonny Chiba.  I also paid attention to the fight choreography in the Matrix because of the legendary fight choreographer Woo-Ping Yuen.  The story of how they got him to do the movie is amazing.

He didn't want to do the movie so he asked for and received full control over the fights, including training the cast for 4 months and he asked for and received an exorbitant salary.

Watching these clips and reading your summary of them has also really inspired me to get in better shape too.

In short, thanks for doing this.  It's exactly what I needed at this time of my life.  I love this countdown!

Well said baumer, although I gotta disagree with your choices and say that for me I love Sammo Hung, such a great fighter and actor.  

• Like 2

On 5/24/2018 at 1:30 PM, JamesCameronScholar said:

For me the first two to come to mind (and one of my personal favorites) is the first fight from Kung Fu Hustle (for more reasons than I can list): 

And the second being Neo vs Agent Smith (although I have to give it to the first Matrix, but the final fight in Revolutions is amazing too): 

Kung fu hustle is one of the most hilarious movie of all time for me with a great hindi dub.

That fight scene is not amazing without seeing what happens before. The expectations are all over the place with this movie. Love it.

• Like 1

Thanks @baumer, cheers! :D Really happy you're loving this! And we're not even in the best part yet!

Also, I seem to recall that Tele mentioned somewhere in a review thread that he watched older Jackie Chan movies, and Hong Kong movies, and enjoyed them. I think it was in The Raid review thread?

I think a top like this would be enjoyable for him, if you know of a way to contact him outside of this website. If not, oh well, maybe he'll stumble upon this one day! :knight:

Awesome list, Dax. A lot of great-sounding movies I need to check out.

Some other ones that come to mind:

- Jackie Chan rooftop fight in Who Am I? 

- Jackie Chan v Benny the Jet in Dragons Forever and Wheels on Meals

- JCVD v Tong Po in Kickboxer

- Donnie Yen v Wu Jing in SPL

- The Sensei Seagal v a pool hall full of lowlife scum in Out for Justice

- Hector v Achilles in Troy 

- Adonis v The Lion one-take fight in Creed

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

For many people, this was the first step into the world of Jackie Chan. When the movie came out, it went through the West, especially on home video, like a storm, many people having never seen someone do those kind of stunts before in their entire lives! Jackie Chan had been doing it for years in Hong Kong though. Buster Keaton movies were way too old to be remembered by the general public as well.

The original, half-Cantonese, half-English version doesn't really exist outside of Hong Kong. I had to settle for the dubbed English version, although there are some scenes in Cantonese left. I'd love to find the original.

Speaking of which, the American version has about 10 minutes missing and it shows. Near the end, there's an editing cut that makes absolutely no sense and kinda ruins the ending. Reading the differences between both versions, I concluded that practically the whole 10 minutes were cut there.

Yup, this was my first Jackie Chan movie.  

I remember randomly watching MTV in 1995 and this dude got a Lifetime Achievement Award and the sizzle reel was mesmerizing.  I just went and found it on YouTube and the quality is woof.  But anyway, I knew I had to watch a movie of his asap.  This was before we had internet, so I couldn't just find shit online, lol.  

Rumble in the Bronx came out the next year, when I was 16 and I was HOOKED.  The next year I got a job at a Blockbuster Video and we had a huge book you could order movies from.  I made it my mission to order as many as I could.  I even remember calling a former manager that had moved to see if she had The Big Brawl and she did and transferred it to my location where I immediately bought it for myself, lol.  I had Drunken Master 2 where the subtitles were so poorly done, I couldn't understand what was happening so I just watched all the fights.  Over and over and over.  I was even able to order his version of The Protector, which had that extra fight scene in the gym and the redone stunts.  

I'm pretty sure I had about 40 of his movies on VHS, sadly, they are lost now, because VHS was a huge waste of space.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

VHS quality is also horrendous :hahaha:

Not really worth it to watch movies in that format these days

Yeah, it really sucks because I had a great collection of shit you just can't get anymore.  Fucking Magnificent Bodyguards, the weird-ass 3D movie where it's just spears at the screen ALL THE TIME.  I didn't make it far into it, but I owned it, lol.

• Like 1

Keanu Reeves | Chateau fight sequence

The Matrix Reloaded (2003)

6291laS.jpg

qmDraaH.png

USA

lq62Gzs.jpg

Directed by: The Wachowskis

Fight Choreography: Yuen Woo-Ping

Starring: Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss, Hugo Weaving

Worldwide Box office - $742,128,461 ($281,576,461 domestic)

Synopsis: Neo and the rebel leaders estimate that they have 72 hours until 250,000 probes discover Zion and destroy it and its inhabitants. During this, Neo must decide how he can save Trinity from a dark fate in his dreams.

My rating for this movie: ★★★★

My rating for this specific fight sequence: ★★★★½

The Matrix Reloaded is the top-grossing movie of the franchise and held the record for biggest R-rating opening of all-time ($91,774,413) from its release in 2003 up until the release of Deadpool in 2016, an incredible achievement.

It's also the highest-grossing movie worldwide in this whole top.

The action in this movie is just so bonkers that I can almost totally forgive its muddled plot. Almost. I think the movie aged pretty well, except for a select few CGI shots in the agent smith fight. It's a very, very exciting movie which is why I like it!

A decent but ultimately disappointing sequel, The Matrix Revolutions, was released in the same year.

Here's a great review by @solaris from BOT on this movie:

On 1/27/2015 at 8:00 AM, solaris said:

Caught this again recently. Its aged pretty well. Yeah its not perfect, and it certainly aint the first one, but it IS a visually stunning, intelligent, ambitious and thrilling mess. I love the additional mythology layered in throughout the film, although the Matrix scenes to me are for more interesting than those in Zion.. For some reason the Zion stuff never quite connected as well.

Anyway, I remember the anticipation and excitement from way back when and even though it didn't quite live up to my stupidly high expectations, I still left the cinema pretty pleased. So many great set pieces (the freeway chase, I mean C'MON) and so much to talk and think about.

Compare this with the some of the 'will this do' half assed blockbusters of today and I'd take this any day

What this sequence's all about

Btxg8Wm.gif

How to make an absolutely over-the-top action sequence and get away with it, Matrix style. I love it!

Okay, you have to disregard the fact that Neo should probably have wiped the floor with them even more, but whatever. It made for a pretty fucking cool sequence, so I'm all for it!

It doesn't have the climactic build-up that the first movie's final fight had going for it, but it takes what was amazing about the fight in the first movie, and dials it up to 11.

From the opening "Okay... you have some skill" to the epic slow-mo shots in the middle of a renaissance-era castle to the steady camera style, that's all right up my alley.

All of this choreographed again by legend Yuen Woo-Ping and you've got yourself a classic right there.

Here's a link to the sequence, which I highly doubt even 1 person hasn't seen in here, but whatever:

The highway sequence in this movie is all kinds of awesome too, for different reasons ;)

Conclusion: It may not reach the narrative heights of the first installment, but The Matrix Reloaded sure is an awesome blockbuster.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Next up, one of, if not the most amazing single stunt ever performed.

And also a great fight sequence in its own right!

I agree that it's the greatest single stunt ever performed, but it's not really a fight move.

• Like 1