Daxtreme

Dax's Top 47 Movie Fight Sequences | Land of the GIFS | We have a winner!

Sze-Man Tsang + Jean Wang vs Fai Lee & Shaolin disciples

Iron Monkey (1993)

0Ev6YUH.jpg

jgJbH3T.png

Hong Kong (Cantonese)

7PhWeZy.gif

Directed by: Yuen Woo-Ping

Fight Choreography: Yuen Woo-Ping, Donnie Yen, Cheung-Yan Yuen, Shun-Yee Yuen, Huen Chiu Ku

Starring: Donnie Yen, Rongguang Yu, Jean Wang, Sze-Man Tsang

Box office: US$14,694,904 (Domestic), ???  Worldwide.

Synopsis: A martial artist/doctor steals from the corrupt authorities as a masked thief to give to the poor while another martial artist/doctor is forced to hunt him down. But a major threat unites them as a powerful and traitorous shaolin monk takes over the authorities.

My rating for this movie: ★★★★

My rating for this specific fight sequence: ★★★★½

Iron Monkey is a fairly popular movie (even in the West) about martial arts, and as such, is mostly just fights. Runtime is a bit below 90 minutes so rather short too, but the fights are appropriately intense, over-the-top, and most of the time quite impressive. I think I could just recommend the whole movie if you like that sort of thing because really, most of the fights are top-notch, even though some are, I would say, a bit too over-the-top.

Anyway, Donnie Yen delivers yet again in this movie, showcasing awesome fight performances throughout the thing, as does the relatively unknown and hugely underrated Rongguang Yu who really should have starred in more action movies. But where this movie truly shines isn't in the over-the-top sequences but the more restrained ones, which happens quite often in 90's martial arts movies, in my opinion.

Like the following sequence.

What this fight sequence's all about

jspxfKK.gif

So I advertised Donnie Yen above and although he's the co-star, he's not in this fight. No this fight is between his son Wong-Fei Hung played by Sze-Man Tsang and side characters. Part of the fight is shown in the gif above.

Don't get me wrong though, Donnie Yen does have some great fights in this movie, as usual.

I chose this sequence because it is the most impressive fight sequence I've ever seen featuring a child actor, and the sequence itself is awesome to boot (Jean Wang ain't a push-over either). We see the child beat up a bunch of thugs earlier in the movie -- another cool sequence as it's quite comedic -- but now it shifts into more of a dramatic fight, full of surprises.

And full of surprises it is, including the cherry on top when you learn that... (open after watching the sequence)

Spoiler

Sze-Man Tsang is a girl in real life. It's an actress playing the boy and martial arts prodigy!

Sze-Man Tsang won 3 national competitions including Gold medal in martial arts world championship as early as age 13, and then later got married and retired from martial arts to join the Hong Kong police force. I would say... don't mess with that police officer!

You can watch the sequence here:

continues here:

Oh and if you wanna watch this movie, avoid the Miramax USA cut if possible. It's horrible. Find the original. It's the same length but they butchered the movie by switching stuff around including replacing the entire score, and re-purposing the narrative.

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 5

35 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Yuen Biao vs Yuen Wah | Final fight

The Iceman Cometh (1989)

DuEVPws.jpg

lGYfFuD.jpg

China (Cantonese)

IqC66JT.jpg

Directed by: Clarence Yiu-leung Fok

Fight Choreography: Yuen Biao, Yuen Wah, Yuen Tak, Kar Lok Chin

Starring: Maggie Cheung, Yuen Biao, Yuen Wah

Box office: HK $14,433,282

Synopsis: A frozen Ming Dynasty royal guard and the equally frigid rapist-killer he's tracking are thawed out in modern-day Hong Kong.

My rating for this movie: ★★★½

This is basically Hong Kong's version of Highlander. Both Yuens are transported in time via a time machine into present-day Hong Kong -- well, 1989 Hong Kong -- where their fight will continue and cause many casualties.

Here's a review by Chris Brown on letterboxd that summarizes this movie quite well:

Context is important for this movie I would say, I was aware watching it that it could feel really weird to lots of people. That being said, taken for what it is, I had a good time overall!

The trailer is hilarious. Behold:

Maggie Cheung is incredible in this movie. She gives a great, nuanced performance which I enjoyed a lot. Also, some scenes like Yuen Biao yelling at the TV or drinking from the toilet had me in stitches!

If you like fish out of water movies (and epic fight scenes), this is a pretty good one!

jfrSdHp.gif

So this is the first time both Yuen Biao and Yuen Wah make an appearance in this top. They're incredibly dedicated and athletic stuntmen and fighters, and friends of Jackie Chan.  

And they duke it out in this movie... and break a lot of stuff while doing so! Those 2 are incredibly amazing on the fighting front, and never let me down in a movie I've watched with them fighting so far.

This fight is pretty long, spans a couple floors and a roof, and also involves a brief machine-gun shoot-out too which serves as a way for Yuen Biao to show off his incredible acrobatics skills. More on Yuen Biao later.

The sequence is on YouTube in "HD" but the video is pretty much the whole feature-length movie which I'm not gonna link here because... that's kinda cheating!

Yuen Biao is the one wearing white, the other is Yuen Wah.

:lol: at using a Eugene O'Neill title for a martial arts movie.

Hmm... I'm not feeling this fight from this snippet.  The director isn't doing it much favors because you can clearly see them pulling punches and kicks with a lot of space in between.  The hammy acting from the guy in black isn't helping either.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

:lol: at using a Eugene O'Neill title for a martial arts movie.

Hmm... I'm not feeling this fight from this snippet.  The director isn't doing it much favors because you can clearly see them pulling punches and kicks with a lot of space in between.  The hammy acting from the guy in black isn't helping either.

Just finding this movie when searching is a bit of a job, there are at least 2 American/British movies with this title, and the Chinese also made 2 movies with that title, so it's a mess.

@baumer Iceman on Netflix is basically a remake of The Iceman Cometh.

As for the fight, well I had no problem with the snippet, but watching the fight should tell you everything you need to know about why it made this top! It's very brutal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Iko Uwais vs Cecep Arif Rahman | Kitchen fight

The Raid 2: Berandal  (2014)

6NKf7cL.jpg

oXqjmDJ.png

Indonesia

enzyvIt.jpg

Directed by: Gareth Evans

Fight Choreography: Gareth Evans, Iko Uwais, Yayan Ruhian, Larnell Stovall

Starring: Iko Uwais, Yayan Ruhian, Arifin Putra

Worldwide box office: $6.6 million ($2,627,209 domestic) -- not including Indonesia, Japan, and more

Synopsis: Only a short time after the first raid, Rama goes undercover with the thugs of Jakarta and plans to bring down the syndicate and uncover the corruption within his police force.

My rating for this movie: ★★★★

Finally, a movie with some reviews from people in here!

Here's what @The Stingray had to say about this movie:

On 8/3/2014 at 5:49 PM, The Stingray said:

One of the best action movies of all time. Evans puts Hollywood's elite action directors to shame. The story was well-told, albeit by-the-numbers, but the action was truly masterful. That final 'kitchen fight' arguably ranks among the Top 5 fights ever put to celluloid.

Where to start with The Raid? Let's try.

An English director went in Indonesia to make low-budget action movies and yet, what came out was an action movie so good it got instant worldwide attention. His strategy? Gritty and intense action scenes, featuring lots and lots of violence. Generally, that's a winner combination if you want to make an adrenaline shot of a movie, which is what The Raid is all about.

That's what happened with the first movie. Gareth Evans came back with the 2nd installment, and delivered the same high-octane, insane action he is now known for, but now with more plot!

A bit of a shame how low the gross is for both of those movies. If there's ever a The Raid 3, I hope it's gonna gross a lot more!

The Raid 2 is an awesome and action-packed movie all-around, not just an awesome martial arts movie. It does drag at times though, as the script is kinda overflowing with side plots and characters, but it's still a great watch and filled with great stunts. It follows the 1st one directly, so watching it before is a must.

What this fight's all about

TLUC0TS.gif

Lots of awesome folks over in the "Review That Movie" would agree that this movie (and fight) are best-of material, and it is.

So, unto the fight, it was Cecep Arif Rahman's first movie appearance. Before that, he was a teacher. How awesome would it be to see your school teacher ripping some people to shreds in front of your eyes? Younger me would have found that epic, present me thinks that might be a little unsuitable for teenagers.

Wait, who am I kidding, teenagers already watch the most insane stuff anyway. :ph34r:

Scene:

The team behind this scene are incredibly talented, and although it does overstay its welcome a bit, it's still mighty impressive choreography. Iko Uwais, Yayan Ruhian, these fellas have to be watched closely!

They all had cameos in Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens as a nod to this movie since they helped with the final fight choreography between Rey and Kylo Ren (a subtle but well done choreography, I might add, for reasons I detailed in this post:

By the end of the movie though, I believe Iko Uwais fought about 50 people, got shot, received over 20 kicks in the face, got several of his leg and arm tendons slashed open by knives, and got hit by a baseball bat and 2 hammers repeatedly, pretty much all in the same day. I mean, I don't watch martial arts movies for realism, but as far as movie fights go, the worst offender of greatest implausibility is, by far, this movie, especially when it asks you to take it seriously.

Doesn't mean it's not awesome though, because it most definitely is, and a worthy entry in this top! :redcapes:

Watch this movie for the relentless action, you won't regret it.

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 4

Jackie Chan | Warehouse Fight Sequence

Rumble in the Bronx (1995)

Kyj5mjH.jpg

jgJbH3T.png

Hong Kong (Cantonese & English)

MUoQFVn.jpg

Directed by: Stanley Tong

Fight Choreography: Jackie Chan, Stanley Tong

Starring: Jackie Chan, Anita Mui, Françoise Yip

Box office - HK $56,911,136 / US$32,392,047 (domestic)

Synopsis: A young man visiting and helping his uncle in New York City finds himself forced to fight a street gang and the mob with his martial art skills.

My rating for this movie: ★★★½

Rumble in the Bronx, AKA the Hong Kong movie set in New-York but filmed in Vancouver, Canada where half the actors filmed their scenes in Cantonese and the other half in English (often answering each other in 2 different languages) was the first Jackie Chan movie to be released in the US nationwide.

For many people, this was the first step into the world of Jackie Chan. When the movie came out, it went through the West, especially on home video, like a storm, many people having never seen someone do those kind of stunts before in their entire lives! Jackie Chan had been doing it for years in Hong Kong though. Buster Keaton movies were way too old to be remembered by the general public as well.

The original, half-Cantonese, half-English version doesn't really exist outside of Hong Kong. I had to settle for the dubbed English version, although there are some scenes in Cantonese left. I'd love to find the original.

Speaking of which, the American version has about 10 minutes missing and it shows. Near the end, there's an editing cut that makes absolutely no sense and kinda ruins the ending. Reading the differences between both versions, I concluded that practically the whole 10 minutes were cut there.

- Quick action movie review by yours truly -

The bloopers at the end of this movie highlight just how crazy Jackie Chan is.

They reveal that he broke his ankle then continued performing with a cast -- he covered it up to hide it!

What. The. Hell. :ohmyzod:

Stunts - 92/100 | Jackie Chan. Enough said.

Narrative - 62/100 | Serviceable, but nothing more.

Fight Choreography - 88/100 | If only there were more fights I would up this one, but the 2 fights that are in the film are definitely awesome, inventive, and very well choreographed. Especially the titular warehouse fight!

Enjoyment - 73/100 | It was a fun and enjoyable ride but that ultimately makes very little sense. Still, it's never a chore to watch a Jackie Chan movie.

I kinda feel weird criticizing this guy who puts his body on the line for our entertainment.

HK7O0tZ.gif

If you're looking for the best sequence involving Jackie Chan fighting with all the furniture he can lay his hands on, this is the one. I would never challenge Jackie Chan in an IKEA, he would be unstoppable!

Armchairs, fridges, ovens, bowling table, actual wall boards, an arcade game, a grocery cart... I'm probably forgetting some, this is the kinda stuff he fights with and performs acrobatics over, under, and around of.

If that is your cup of tea (how can it not be?), then watching Rumble in the Bronx is a no-brainer.

Oh and, Jackie Chan gets run over by an hovercraft in this movie (which he commandeers later on) and fights with a car.

Scene:

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 3

So I'm gonna start the top 25 tomorrow, in about 24 hours!

Stepping into the top 25 there is only room left for truly legendary fight sequences, and although the previous ones are definitely amazing and yes, among my favorites, these are the best of the best of what movies have to offer in terms of movie fights, at least in what I've seen. With entries coming from 6 different countries (or 7, depending who you ask) and spanning 5 decades, we're gonna take a look at those fights that just never get old, no matter how many times you watch them.

They're the kind of sequences which are either hypnotizing, or often provoke physical reactions from its viewers, including but not limited to clapping, yelling, going all "WTF?!", laughing, audibly cringing, or silent contemplation as you question your own body's limits and whether it would ever forgive you for attempting what's happening on screen (it wouldn't).

These are my favorite fight sequences ever. I've watched each of them several times at least.

This is also your last call to guess the #1 fight sequence and maybe win a 1-month BOT gold account! Once the top 25 starts tomorrow, I will no longer be accepting new entries for it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I have a hard time paying attention to the plot or fight choreography in Rumble In The Bronx with all those shots of mountains .... in the Bronx.  :lol:

You've never heard of the New Jersey Rockies?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Didn't they change their name to the Devils? 

I didn't even know the NJ Devils used to be called the Colorado Rockies :hahaha:

I was just joking about New Jersey's utter lack of mountains

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@Daxtreme...just answer us this....is your number one a film us Westerners have heard of or is it going to be something like The Monkey King (for example) where it is known in Asia but not really over here.  

• Like 2