Daxtreme

Dax's Top 47 Movie Fight Sequences | Land of the GIFS | We have a winner!

6 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

Donnie Yen vs Collin Chou

Flash Point (2007)

EyI1uXs.jpg

lGYfFuD.jpg

China (Cantonese)

vXB0YJA.gif

Directed by: Wilson Yip

Fight Choreography: Donnie Yen, John Salvitti, Hua Yan, Kenji Tanigaki

Starring: Donnie Yen, Louis Koo, Collin Chou

Worldwide Box office: $6,177,725 ($5,000 Domestic!)

Synopsis: A hot-headed inspector takes on a small but powerful Vietnamese-Chinese gang, after a series of crimes and murder attempts committed and putting an undercover cop and his girlfriend in great danger.

My rating for this movie: ★★½

My rating for this specific fight sequence: ★★★★½

A generic movie on the surface, and in substance as well, if it weren't for the quality of the final fight.

On opening week-end, this movie was #101 on the chart with $3271. Over-performance or under-performance? No idea! :qotd:

This is the first of many appearances by Donnie Yen. Those of you who know him will not be surprised in the slightest at this statement.

So, what this fight's all about?

dVXXkGs.gif

What's remarkable about Donnie Yen is the sheer variety of fight stances and different martial arts that he knows and masters. In this movie, instead of his usual Chinese Wushu combination of martial arts, he goes for... Mixed Martial Arts and boxing. And damn does he pull it off! The final fight is so engrossing because it's so different -- it's like watching a live MMA match. The 2 of them grapple each other, gauge each other, attack and back off like in real life... definitely a great fight worth watching!

One could easily mistake this fight for a real match.

Sadly, it's the only thing worth watching in this movie. :ph34r:

Sequence:

Okay if this isn't your number one fight, then I don't know what can top it.  I mean, this is one of the greatest fights I've ever seen.  I've not seen this movie but oh my God, poor Tony.  He gets the shit kicked out of him.  :) 

• Thanks 1

Just now, baumer said:

Okay if this isn't your number one fight, then I don't know what can top it.  I mean, this is one of the greatest fights I've ever seen.  I've not seen this movie but oh my God, poor Tony.  He gets the shit kicked out of him.  :) 

Donnie Yen is a legend! Love your reaction! :P Collin Chou also incredibly underrated.

• Like 1

Iceman was decent, but not more than that in my opinion. Monkey King I didn't like although Donnie Yen is doing what he can here. Kinda entertaining movie though, in its own way.

I haven't seen Chasing the Dragon. You could give it a try if it's on Netflix I guess.

If you want great Donnie Yen recommendations, I suggest waiting for more entries in this top ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

Iceman was decent, but not more than that in my opinion. Monkey King I didn't like although Donnie Yen is doing what he can here. Kinda entertaining movie though, in its own way.

I haven't seen Chasing the Dragon. You could give it a try if it's on Netflix I guess.

If you want great Donnie Yen recommendations, I suggest waiting for more entries in this top ;)

Well, I went with IP Man.  I haven't seen any of them and man, Yen is damn amazing!

• Like 1

Trying to catch up with the thread after work.  

The playground fight in Police Story 2 is my favorite of that movie, it's so good!

Undisputed 2/3 are great, glad to see them get some love here.

Yes, that final fight in Flash Point is stupid good

BKO was really bad.  Bad enough that the great stunts and fights just kinda washed away, lol.

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

I loooooove the dojo fight, so I'm hoping it's that one.  That's another showpiece fight I like to put on for people.

Since were all in the mood for some fights here, I'll recommend a couple of my favorites from Jackie Chan.  He's the one I know the most because I was obsessed for a while.

Two of my favorites of his are one-on-one fights with Benny "The Jet" Urquidez.

One was in Wheels on Meals:

The other was in Dragons Forever:

Both featured the trio of Biao, Hung, and Chan.  

Edited by Deep Wang
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Finished IP Man and wow is it ever good.  I had no idea Yen was this charismatic and this good of a martial artist.  I also didn't know it was based on a true story.  Terrific film with lots of great fighting sequences.  My favourite part was when IP Man wants to fight ten men and then destroys all of them.  And I also didn't know that this was Bruce Lee's mentor.  

• Like 1

As I said in an earlier post in here, sequences that aren't primarily people duking it out in close quarter or with weapons aren't elligible. Guns can be featured but just a bit.

Hardboiled is basically only shoot-outs so it's not elligible. I do that because otherwise it's really, really hard to draw the line so it's much easier that way.

It was already so hard anyway to pick, I can't begin to imagine how it would be with gun sequences included :sparta:

So I'm gonna resume this soon. Today we're going up to 26!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yuen Biao vs Yuen Wah | Final fight

The Iceman Cometh (1989)

DuEVPws.jpg

jgJbH3T.png

Hong Kong (Cantonese)

IqC66JT.jpg

Directed by: Clarence Yiu-leung Fok

Fight Choreography: Yuen Biao, Yuen Wah, Yuen Tak, Kar Lok Chin

Starring: Maggie Cheung, Yuen Biao, Yuen Wah

Box office: HK $14,433,282

Synopsis: A frozen Ming Dynasty royal guard and the equally frigid rapist-killer he's tracking are thawed out in modern-day Hong Kong.

My rating for this movie: ★★★½

My rating for this specific fight sequence: ★★★★½

This is basically Hong Kong's version of Highlander. Both Yuens are transported in time via a time machine into present-day Hong Kong -- well, 1989 Hong Kong -- where their fight will continue and cause many casualties.

Here's a review by Chris Brown on letterboxd that summarizes this movie quite well:

A goofy film with rape, murder, hookers, time travel and necrophilia. But that final fight. Damn!

Context is important for this movie I would say, I was aware watching it that it could feel really weird to lots of people. That being said, taken for what it is, I had a good time overall!

The trailer is hilarious. Behold:

Maggie Cheung is incredible in this movie. She gives a great, nuanced performance which I enjoyed a lot. Also, some scenes like Yuen Biao yelling at the TV or drinking from the toilet had me in stitches!

If you like fish out of water movies (and epic fight scenes), this is a pretty good one!

What this fight sequence's all about

jfrSdHp.gif

So this is the first time both Yuen Biao and Yuen Wah make an appearance in this top. They're incredibly dedicated and athletic stuntmen and fighters, and friends of Jackie Chan.  

And they duke it out in this movie... and break a lot of stuff while doing so! Those 2 are incredibly amazing on the fighting front, and never let me down in a movie I've watched with them fighting so far.

This fight is pretty long, spans a couple floors and a roof, and also involves a brief machine-gun shoot-out too which serves as a way for Yuen Biao to show off his incredible acrobatics skills. More on Yuen Biao later.

The sequence is on YouTube in "HD" but the video is pretty much the whole feature-length movie which I'm not gonna link here because... that's kinda cheating!

Yuen Biao is the one wearing white, the other is Yuen Wah.

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 2