baumer

Weekend Thread....Please read the staff announcement pg 104 (Solo 29.2...DP 23.3...Adrift 11.5)

Just now, Darth Lehnsherr said:

The Incredibles 2 will hugely benefit from the lack of family films in the whole year so far. 

And especially animated films. The last "big one" was actually Ferdinand LOL. Peter Rabbit doesnt really count, since its mostly live-action with CGI animals.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I never understood the business logic of killing the character (and in such a depressing way) to give him a lighthearted prequel about his carefree youth. Tone deaf af. 

Also, GOTG does this type of a movie better and Quill is New Gen's Solo. People have more options to choose from now. 

There is not necessarily much business logic in how the character ended, that was probably this or Ford was not getting on board if he didn't directly described what he wanted to do. Your hand become tie when you need really rich people to agree.

Not sure I agree with the lighthearted prequel / tone here, many even complained about the too dark and grim photography and aesthetic of it.

3 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

The Incredibles 2 will hugely benefit from the lack of family films in the whole year so far. 

Aside from Peter Rabbit, there wasn’t a single family targeted film to hit 100m this year.

Families probably are really starved for something.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I mean I adore the movie but Christmas. It's more telling that it dropped 67% on its second weekend.

Point taken, and yea that drop was ugly. Still, not every December release is guranteed legs. I know it was a week earlier than TLJ but Heart of the Sea had something like a 2.4 multiplier. TLJ was something like 2.8 which yea, isn't great for Xmas, but it's still pretty standard for a blockbuster. 

Maybe this just means that Star Wars really should always be in December from now on.

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Yep, pretty much. Animated films dont really blow up on OW, even if they are highly anticipated. Incredibles will have massive weekdays. And i stand by my point that it and FK wont harm each other, much like IO and JW in 2015. Theres room for both of them, even if both open to 150M+.

Agreed, the two films shouldn't be too afraid of each other. I'd give the edge to Incredibles of course, but I'd argue that the weekends will play out similar to 2015, just give 55M from Jurassic's weekend and give it to Pixar.

2 minutes ago, L Silverman said:

With Incredibles, you'll have packed daytime showings just like Dory but Incredilbles will surpass Dory in the evening and late night showings because teens and adults w/o kids will want to see this movie almost as bad as the kids.

Don't think evenings will have much of a difference, just based on experience at a theatre. Dory pretty much played at full capacity at mine and surrounding theatres for prime time evening shows throughout its first week. Matinees were strong of course, and the only place I could see Incredibles making up much ground is late night shows, which is where it's going to have to rely on the adult fanbase. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

So are we pretending BP and IW weren't movies with massive family appeal?

No, but animated films have a special attraction all their own and Incredibles 2 will be the first big budget animated film of the year.

59 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

The orphanage is great, i highly recommend it. Its atmospheric and doesnt rely on jumpscares like many american horror films. Another film from him is A Monster Calls, which i havent seen yet though. Will do it after FK.

A Monster Calls is really good. I highly recommend it. Be prepared though, it gets really emotional at the end. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hunt for the Wilderpasta said:

Aside from Peter Rabbit, there wasn’t a single family targeted film to hit 100m this year.

Families probably are really starved for something.

And they have 2 options now back-to back:

The first, a cheerfull adventure to make their kids happy and put a big smile on their faces.

source.gif

The second to traumatize them for life.

anigif_sub-buzz-8624-1517855441-7.gif?do

:sparta:

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

And they have 2 options now back-to back:

The first, a cheerfill adventure to make their kids happy and have put a big smile on their faces.

source.gif

The second to traumatize them for life.

anigif_sub-buzz-8624-1517855441-7.gif?do

:sparta:

FK might as well point the gun and shoot themselves with that trailer.  Yes, it's really cool but its basically scaring off 80 percent of the kids that liked the first movie.  And the brave 20 percent left, their parents are gonna take one look at that and figure they don't need the headache of their kids waking up in the middle of the night with nightmares.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

So are we pretending BP and IW weren't movies with massive family appeal?

They had family appeal, but they were 4-quadrant movies. The Incredibles 2 will be mainly family oriented I'd guess.

20 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I can see a third: You stop being salty about it and move on to things that matter.

me not wanting to see a blockbuster does not equal saltiness lol

The trailers for it have looked dull, the only thing that looks of intrigue of me in the film is Glover's performance, which according to people I trust who have seen it, is nothing special. Why the hell would I seek this out even ignoring my levels of salt?

3 minutes ago, L Silverman said:

FK might as well point the gun and shoot themselves with that trailer.  Yes, it's really cool but its basically scaring off 80 percent of the kids that liked the first movie.  And the brave 20 percent left, their parents are gonna take one look at that and figure they don't need the headache of their kids waking up in the middle of the night with nightmares.

Many kids that saw the first one are now teens ;)

Jurassic Park would actually alienate many of its fans when it would go in a more kid-friendly direction i believe. Many people (including me) are dying to see a JP movie that does go more in a horror direction - just like the first movie and the novels the franchise is based on. I think all will be fine :)

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 2