baumer

Weekend Thread....Please read the staff announcement pg 104 (Solo 29.2...DP 23.3...Adrift 11.5)

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

Kathleen Kennedy when Bob Iger approaches her about Solo's numbers: 

"That is a normal gross. Move on, find a new slant"

Hope he doesn't kick her b#** outta Lucasfilm.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

if I were Lucasfilm (which I'm obviously not), I'd release IX, put the other films on hold. Wait a year to release the first Rian Johnson movie and put Obi-Wan out right after. Cover your bases, and don't shoot Rian Johnson 2 until after that's out. I imagine the Boba Fett movie is getting careful reconsideration after the Solo performance but it can wait because Mangold is always working on something

basically, finish IX, see how Rian 1 goes and then go from there. Star Wars /=/ MCU and the fact is no matter if audiences wanted Solo or not, Star Wars is not diverse enough a property (in storytelling) to release two films in the span of a half year

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mekanos said:

I think the biggest thing with Solo is it probably nukes what was certainly Disney's hope with buying Lucasfilm: one Star Wars movie per year. 

They were pushing for two a year. Two Star Wars movies a year with shit like a Yoda origin story and a Jabba the Hutt movie.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Okay so without the spin offs what's next for Star Wars? Apart from Episode 9. 

Exactly. That's the difference between it and the early days of the MCU. 

That's good, though? The fact that they have nothing else in the pipeline is really what Star Wars should be. Just give us the Episodes every 2-3 years and that's it.

Like I'm a Star Wars fan and all but we don't need a new movie from the franchise every single year. This isn't the MCU.

Just now, filmlover said:

That's good, though? The fact that they have nothing else in the pipeline is really what Star Wars should be. Just give us the Episodes every 2-3 years and that's it.

Like I'm a Star Wars fan and all but we don't need a new movie from the franchise every single year. This isn't the MCU.

Disney's shareholders do :sparta:

I'm amazed that ppl are so confident the Rian Johnson trilogy is going to happen. Said that a few weeks after TLJ came out, after its legs were evident

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

But you're missing what I'm saying. 

After Episode 9 what other story is there to tell? They can't live off of nostalgia forever and they've yet to be able to release a film that stands on its own legs without it. So yea they need to figure things out creatively or else there's no where this franchise is going. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I'm amazed that ppl are so confident the Rian Johnson trilogy is going to happen. Said that a few weeks after TLJ came out, after its legs were evident

I hope they go through with it. Disney will take a massive L but it'll be nice of them to make a movie just for me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

I think the first movie will happen. We'll see if they keep it going on after that. IMO, I think audiences would be more into what Rian was doing in that movie if he wasn't doing it with Luke or Leia

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chewy said:

They were pushing for two a year. Two Star Wars movies a year with shit like a Yoda origin story and a Jabba the Hutt movie.

Every OT character to get an origin story, then we move to every PT character.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Okay I'm watching Ocean's 12 again rn.  This is a very good movie almost on par with the first one.  Move on, find a new slant.

Eleven is better but 12 being great is the proper opinion

• Disbelief 1

Rian Johnson's Star Wars movies will not happen. I love Brick, Looper and I like The Last Jedi. I'm a fan but no way he gets his own trilogy after the divisive reaction to his Episode. Don't let the reviews fool you, the critics don't decide what the audience likes. Enough people disliked TLJ and coming from a fan even I admit that it's too long and not a very re-watchable film. They need these films to be re-watchable and I just don't see Johnson being able to deliver such a thing. 

Just now, ZackM said:

Lucasfilm needs to make movies with lightsabers and the force.  That's what the GA cares about when it comes to Star Wars.

Rogue One had 1 scene of this and that made 530M, what they need are new interesting stories in the universe that have a unique feel to them and don't feel same-y.  or at least stories that people want, no one wants young Han but I'm sure a lot of people want an Obi Wan movie.

• Like 1