baumer

Weekend Thread....Please read the staff announcement pg 104 (Solo 29.2...DP 23.3...Adrift 11.5)

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

Justice League doesn't look like a 300mil budget film to me and yet that's what the budget apparently was. 

I don't see $250m worth of money in Spiderman 3 either yet somehow they did spend it.. also the Amazing Spider-man movies cost an obscene amount that does appear on screen imo.

Every report all these industry sites have received put Solo over 250m for the budget. There's no reason for them to be making this stuff up as if they're out to blast it or something. Hell, most of these same sites were still bullishly insisting the movie could breeze past 500 worldwide even after OW last weekend. 

• Like 2

Just now, John Marston said:

budget for Solo is 250-300m

either way, it's a bomb

That's true enough. I'm just leery of this "it couldn't have cost 300mil crowd" because I remember the same denials about John Carter and guess what? That film did cost 300mil to make before the almost 40mil tax breaks. Heck people were denying that it cost 250mil.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

That's true enough. I'm just leery of this "it couldn't have cost 300mil crowd" because I remember the same denials about John Carter and guess what? That film did cost 300mil to make before the almost 40mil tax breaks. Heck people were denying that it cost 250mil.

300m is not unbelievable. Thanks to the fact the recent Star Wars movies have been very expensive and add the numereous reshoots on top of it 

• Like 4

I haven't seen people spam "Stop beating a dead horse, Solo bombed move on" and mods closing every thread and banning everyone who dares to say something negative about Star Wars. 

I wonder why only one of these declining franchises gets this treatment. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Every report all these industry sites have received put Solo over 250m for the budget. There's no reason for them to be making this stuff up as if they're out to blast it or something. Hell, most of these same sites were still bullishly insisting the movie could breeze past 500 worldwide even after OW last weekend. 

Every report did not put it over $250m.  Only Deadline did.  NY Times said $250m and that was the reported number earlier.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

That it cost $260m after the tax breaks means it did NOT cost $300m.  Tax breaks are taken into consideration when making the budget.  Sheesh.

• Like 1

IW OS run has been absolutely amazing. Never thought it would nearly match ultrons WW number. 

Also really can’t wait for JW2 numbers to start rolling in. That’s gonna be a monster OS. Domestically it’s the biggest wildcard of the summer for me. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Reminds me when that BVS rumor about the $400 million budget arose and some fans stuck to the studio line that it really cost $250 million (not including ads), though who's keeping to that fairy tale now? I think its common consensus now that at the least it was somewhere in the 300s. Regardless enough allegedly to break even theatrically despite the disappointing box office. 

A lot of these rumors, there is some truth to them. Think of how Avengers 3/4, Bleeding Cool reported originally that it would together cost a billion. I found that insane at the time. That said, IW's budget is 300-400 depending the source and even the Russos admitted it cost around $350-450K(!) per shooting day and it did go over budget. So who know?

6 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

I don't see $250m worth of money in Spiderman 3 either yet somehow they did spend it.. also the Amazing Spider-man movies cost an obscene amount that does appear on screen imo.

Was probably 100m more than that, SM3 was 299m net.

The Amazing Spider Man were both above 300m gross budget.

Solo did feel really expensive to me, they didn't reuse many cheap setup that much or many cheap minutes.

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

That it cost $260m after the tax breaks means it did NOT cost $300m.  Tax breaks are taken into consideration when making the budget.  Sheesh.

His point was it didn't look like a movie that had 300m invested in it, which it was. People foolishly claiming an SW film couldn't cost 300+ have been paying zero attention to what the last three cost. Add in reshoots of the whole damn film, and of course it could cost 300+. 

• Like 2

say what you want about George Lucas but he did a great job keeping the budgets under control despite the numerous special effects (the prequels cost 115m for the first two and 113m for ROTS which even at the time were not some of the most expensive movies ever). The new Star Wars movie honestly don't look that impressive considering the obscene amount of money spent on them 

• Like 2

Just now, RRA said:

Reminds me when that BVS rumor about the $400 million budget arose and some fans stuck to the studio line that it really cost $250 million (not including ads), though who's keeping to that fairy tale now? I think its common consensus now that at the least it was somewhere in the 300s. Regardless enough allegedly to break even theatrically despite the disappointing box office. 

A lot of these rumors, there is some truth to them. Think of how Avengers 3/4, Bleeding Cool reported originally that it would together cost a billion. I found that insane at the time. That said, IW's budget is 300-400 depending the source and even the Russos admitted it cost around $350-450K(!) per shooting day and it did go over budget. So who know?

So that BC rumor was off by $200-400m or 20-40%.  "Some truth" is a rather generous statement. :lol:

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

His point was it didn't look like a movie that had 300m invested in it, which it was. People foolishly claiming an SW film couldn't cost 300+ have been paying zero attention to what the last three cost. Add in reshoots of the whole damn film, and of course it could cost 300+. 

The point is Han Solo did not look like other Star Wars movies for me to believe that it cost $300M+. If you had told me a movie like Rogue One, TFA or TLJ cost $300M I would believe it. 

Why are you all arguing over something you're never, ever going to know?

And even if you did somehow find out, you'll never get the other key numbers on the balance sheet, so it's a completely pointless exercise.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

say what you want about George Lucas but he did a great job keeping the budgets under control despite the numerous special effects (the prequels cost 115m for the first two and 113m for ROTS which even at the time were not some of the most expensive movies ever). The new Star Wars movie honestly don't look that impressive considering the obscene amount of money spent on them 

That's because they're made by the most careless studio by a mile when it comes to budgets. Disney has no concept of budget control and how to be smart with money on their films. They figure they don't need to because they have so much profit flowing in every year from so many sources that the one or two megabombs a year don't matter to them. Of course, as I've argued, this time the megabomb matters because it's coming from the franchise that's never supposed to fail. 

Edited by MovieMan89