sfran43

Monday's Numbers

That's a good drop for Deadpool 2. I also made the mistake of assuming that college kids were inflating its Tuesday but my screening was all older folks. There was an older guy who said to his wife as he was walking out "I love you the way Wade loves Vanessa." 

Deadpool 2 is the new titanic folks 

Except this time Jack doesn't die :sparta:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Anyway, IW again has a drop just like GotGV2 on the same Monday last year (June 5, 2017).

Both are behaving almost identical, as if IW's 2nd weekend was its opening weekend.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

Anyway, IW again has a drop just like GotGV2 on the same Monday last year (June 5, 2017).

Both are behaving almost identical, as if IW's 2nd weekend was its opening weekend.

I guess we all debated before release what effect the Guardians would have in their addition and guess what they brought were some nice sexy legs.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

Wish Solo was doing better. Finally talked to a co-worker who had been traveling and is our offices biggest SW hound and he really liked it as well.

SW fandom is out of control. The warped hate on TLJ. The no show on Solo. Their vitriolic social media diatribes that pushed Daisy Ridley(Rey) and Kelly Marie Tran(Rose) off of Instagram is a sad state of things for that fandom.

Honestly I don’t see how the movie could be viewed that positively.  I saw it and the way it’s written, the choices are between boring and bizarre.  And I’m just strictly judging the movie on its own merits, nothing to do with anything else.

As it played there were at least 3 major plot points that I thought were baffling and in need of a rewrite.

The approximate 60% top critic score on RT is fair, but I personally would not rate it that high.

4 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

Slightly off topic,

Can I just say that as a real estate agent this insult drives me insane?

First off,  due to the double whammy of a. Student Debt making people’s debt to income ratio too high to get home loans; and b. An aging population who can’t stay by themselves and/or can’t afford a nursey home/retirement condo we have a huge trend of multigenerational families living together as the new norm.

Second off (and more importantly), unless there is a second egress and up-to-state-code size windows, no one is living in a basement.

So “you live with your parents” — is that suppose to be insulting? To quote The Princess Bride: You keep using [that insult].  I do not think it means what you think it means. 

I've been living with my parents because I'm attending grad school and Orange County isn't exactly cheap. They've helped me with so much financial stress in my life (economy pretty much went to shit as soon as I turned 18 and personal issues made jobhunting difficult). If having parents who love and support me during tough times is an insult... then that's some projection.

Edited by Mekanos
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

I guess we all debated before release what effect the Guardians would have in their addition and guess what they brought were some nice sexy legs.

I figured this would be the case.  Putting guardians in the trailer is an instant reminder to all GA how much they like those wacky space adventure movies with that Jurassic guy and the talking tree.  I think audiences saw it as an effective guardians sequel and it added +200m to the bottom line minimum.

All the movies actually had really good drops. I know there isn't a big movie but all the hold overs are doing very well. I think while it's good to have big blockbusters to help elevate the box office, I think it's equally important to get films that are loved by audiences so much that they develop quality legs. Seems to be the case with quite a few hold overs. 

• Like 1

Also I think it's important that Solo shows some form of stabilization this week. If it can get some strong holds during this week then I think it can get a solid weekend drop but it really really needs to stabilize. This past weekend showed us that the film isn't a mini IW in that it's not getting the increases on Saturday that a Marvel movie does so it has to make up some of that ground during the weekdays. Of course that was only its second weekend so I guess we shall see how it performs this weekend which should give us a better idea 

11 minutes ago, REC said:

I figured this would be the case.  Putting guardians in the trailer is an instant reminder to all GA how much they like those wacky space adventure movies with that Jurassic guy and the talking tree.  I think audiences saw it as an effective guardians sequel and it added +200m to the bottom line minimum.

That would assume more than half of the GOTG audience weren't already part of the larger the Avengers audience.  Highly doubtful.

2 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

So what kinda total can we expect now for AIW?

I assume 680+?

I'm guessing 675-680 million. FK is going to hit it hard and take a lot of screens. 

Edited by Moviefanatic
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

That would assume more than half of the GOTG audience weren't already part of the larger the Avengers audience.  Highly doubtful.

Well I do believe guardians 1-2 brought in a lot of new people.  It was sort of disconnected from the other stuff and just an engaging space romp.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JB33 said:

GotG2's multi really does seem likely, which will put it in the 680-685 range. 

Confession time. How many of you predicted that a documentary about a woman currently in her 80s would eventually finish its run at 2-3x the gross of Johnny Knoxville’s latest experiment in pain flick?

• Haha 3

Just now, LonePirate said:

Confession time. How many of you predicted that a documentary about a woman currently in her 80s would eventually finish its run at 2-3x the gross of Johnny Knoxville’s latest experiment in pain flick?

Me!!! 

If only because I had no idea there was even a Johnny Knoxville movie coming out :popcorn:

• Like 1