A Marvel Fanboy

Tron: Ares | October 10, 2025 | Jared Leto to star, Joachim Ronning to direct

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I would hope by now every studio knows this is a sure sign of a mega bomb.  Every single time they listen to fans they lose money.  You pay attention to what fans are doing with their money. 

• Like 1

I would hope by now every studio knows this is a sure sign of a mega bomb.  Every single time they listen to fans they lose money.  You pay attention to what fans are doing with their money. 

That petition is pathetic just like the one which begged for a John Carter sequel. How delusional and shallow you can be that you actually go out of your way making a petition to beg a multi-billionaire company to dump millions of bucks for something that is set to lose those millions and some . They aren't in this business to please a handful of manchilds clinging on their irrelevant IP and produce flops just for their sole enjoyment. I found that obscene and selfish when you could make a petition raising awareness for more serious issues plaguing our society.

It's not even funny and unconsequential like that "NO BATFLECK!" petition that means nothing in the grand scheme.(It's not like WB will be giving any fuck about that unless BvS flops)

Edited by MADash Rendar
  • Like 2

That petition is pathetic just like the one which begged for a John Carter sequel. How delusional and shallow you can be that you actually go out of your way making a petition to beg a multi-billionaire company to dump millions of bucks for something that is set to lose those millions and some . They aren't in this business to please a handful of manchilds clinging on their irrelevant IP and produce flops just for their sole enjoyment. I found that obscene and selfish when you could make a petition raising awareness for more serious issues plaguing our society.

It's not even funny and unconsequential like that "NO BATFLECK!" petition that means nothing in the grand scheme.(It's not like WB will be giving any fuck about that unless BvS flops)

Yes.  I kept liking then unliking your post just to like it again.  The entitlement people have is just disgusting.  The comments at Varity about Tron3 being canceled where just amazing as you would expect at least a bit more knowledge of the industry.  The worst is around upfronts with people bitching about their TV show getting canceled or my favorite crying about Nielson ratings without knowing a damn thing about statistics.  And of course all of these people just know so much more then everyone inside the industry. 

• Like 2

I can understand them not making the Tron sequel but I think it is funny many people praising Disney for that are some of the same people who say it is a good idea to make Pacific Rim and Mad Max sequels even though they will make around the same amount of money worldwide with the same budget. 

Yes. I kept liking then unliking your post just to like it again. The entitlement people have is just disgusting. The comments at Varity about Tron3 being canceled where just amazing as you would expect at least a bit more knowledge of the industry. The worst is around upfronts with people bitching about their TV show getting canceled or my favorite crying about Nielson ratings without knowing a damn thing about statistics. And of course all of these people just know so much more then everyone inside the industry.

Since when is people having passion about something pathetic or about entitlement? It just means they liked the world that movie or show created and want to see more of it. Of course most people know it comes down to money but that doesn't mean they cant at least try to make their voices heard. Statistics and ratings are things studios use to justify decisions but even if a show got 3 million viewers instead of 10 million, that's still 3 million people who were following that show and invested in that world and would be happy to see more episodes. Same with Tron 2, sure it disappointed but there's still lots of people who watched it over the world and want to see where the story goes that the ending implied or set up.

Yes there are more important petitions that could be set up but that's like saying there are more important topics you could spend your time dicussing on forums than movies. But who is anyone to say what ypu should or shouldn't care about or want to talk about? People are passionate about different things and if people want to try and save a show getting cancelled or ask for a sequel that's perfectly acceptable imo.

A lot of great movies came from a director or actors passion, not just looking at what will get the highest ratings or make the most money. I think it's more worthy of commendation than derision.

Edited by RaidensSword
  • Like 5

Since when is people having passion about something pathetic or about entitlement? It just means they liked the world that movie or show created and want to see more of it. Of course most people know it comes down to money but that doesn't mean they cant at least try to make their voices heard. Statistics and ratings are things studios use to justify decisions but even if a show got 3 million viewers instead of 10 million, that's still 3 million people who were following that show and invested in that world and would be happy to see more episodes. Same with Tron 2, sure it disappointed but there's still lots of people who watched it over the world and want to see where the story goes that the ending implied or set up.

Yes there are more important petitions that could be set up but that's like saying there are more important topics you could spend your time dicussing on forums than movies. But who is anyone to say what ypu should or shouldn't care about or want to talk about? People are passionate about different things and if people want to try and save a show getting cancelled or ask for a sequel that's perfectly acceptable imo.

A lot of great movies came from a director or actors passion, not just looking at what will get the highest ratings or make the most money. I think it's more worthy of commendation than derision.

I agree. Plus, Thron Legacy has some really good WOM state side and made 400M on a 170M budget before China got big. Im not a fan, probably saw it once and now I don't remember a thing from it, but whats wrong with people fighting for what they want?

• Like 3

You know what, it's actually Disney's fault. They have been incapable of making tentpoles (non-Marvel/Disney adaptations) for years.

90.8 M | 36% RT | 58% Flixster | PRINCE OF PERSIA: THE SANDS OF TIME

89.3 M | 31% RT | 51% Flixster | THE LONE RANGER

76.2 M | 49% RT | 58% Flixster | TOMORROWLAND (still in release)

73.1 M | 51% RT | 60% Flixster | JOHN CARTER

63.2 M | 41% RT | 53% Flixster | THE SORCERER'S APPRENTICE

Even THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: PRINCE CASPIAN underwhelmed (141.6 M).

They ruined great possibilities here to be honest, especially for POP and JC.

TRON is an amazing world. It just needs a great and entertaining story. But it's obvious Disney doesn't care anymore since they have Marvel, Pixar and SW.

• Like 3

It always seemed odd to me that they were considering making another one. Legacy barely turned in a profit once all the costs were factored in, and the movie has been pretty much forgotten almost half a decade after release.

• Like 5

You know what, it's actually Disney's fault. They have been incapable of making tentpoles (non-Marvel/Disney adaptations) for years.

90.8 M | 36% RT | 58% Flixster | PRINCE OF PERSIA: THE SANDS OF TIME

89.3 M | 31% RT | 51% Flixster | THE LONE RANGER

76.2 M | 49% RT | 58% Flixster | TOMORROWLAND (still in release)

73.1 M | 51% RT | 60% Flixster | JOHN CARTER

63.2 M | 41% RT | 53% Flixster | THE SORCERER'S APPRENTICE

Even THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: PRINCE CASPIAN underwhelmed (141.6 M).

They ruined great possibilities here to be honest, especially for POP and JC.

TRON is an amazing world. It just needs a great and entertaining story. But it's obvious Disney doesn't care anymore since they have Marvel, Pixar and SW.

The thing is I really enjoyed Prince of Persia and, to a lesser degree, John Carter. I would have loved to see sequels to those.

The worlds for both those movies were already created on screen, so in the sequels they could focus more on the stories and characters with the experience from the 1st movie helping. So many ideas and stories could come out of it and if they kept the budget from spinning out of control, then I think we could have had 2 sequels that were better than the first.

Edited by RaidensSword
  • Like 1

The thing is I really enjoyed Prince of Persia and, to a lesser degree, John Carter. I would have loved to see sequels to those.

The problem with those movies are the ridiculous budgets. POP actually made a respectable 335m worlwide but because the budget was a ridiculous 200m it was a flop. And John Carter in no shape or form should have had a 250m budget. 

• Like 1

The problem with those movies are the ridiculous budgets. POP actually made a respectable 335m worlwide but because the budget was a ridiculous 200m it was a flop. And John Carter in no shape or form should have had a 250m budget.

Yeah I agree. It must be a tough balancing act though, you want the first movie to be the best it can be successful and to kick off the franchise but also, a smaller budget would help increase the profit margins and increase the chance of a sequel being worthwhile. So I can understand why they went all out but I'm also surprised at how much money they spent in the end. A little bit more restraint or alternative odeas for expensive scenes could have made big differences.

POP didn't actually flop. It is almost 1.5x its production budget. So, thats not bad. But no way good either.

Did you read the comments around this or well anything where fanatics don't get their way?  Its all setting up boycotts and they will never see a movie produced by that studio again and calling every exec some form of idiots.  If that is not entitlement I am not sure what is.  We are talking about pieces of entertainment and for Tron 3 not exactly a deep form of entertainment at that. 

• Like 3

I don't understand why Disney canceled Tron 3, theres still Star Wars 7, Infinity War 1 & 2, and Star Wars 8.

But Disney isn't actually the production entity behind any of those movies. They own the respective companies, of course, but Lucasfilm and Marvel are still the ones actually making them.

• Like 2

• Community Manager

Did you read the comments around this or well anything where fanatics don't get their way?  Its all setting up boycotts and they will never see a movie produced by that studio again and calling every exec some form of idiots.  If that is not entitlement I am not sure what is.  We are talking about pieces of entertainment and for Tron 3 not exactly a deep form of entertainment at that. 

So what? So what if they feel "entitled" to a Tron 3? I like how our society is opposed to entitlements now but guess what? We all feel entitled to things in our life. It's not in itself a bad thing.

• Like 1