WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 92): Ant-Man and the Wasp 75.8M (#CRUMBLING EVEN MORE) | Jurassic World 28.6M | Incredibles 2 28.4M | The First Purge 17.4M

4 hours ago, Nova said:

Remember when The Reader (62% on RT and 58 on MC) got a best picture nomination in 2008 and The Dark Knight didn't. Talk about some great Oscar worthy stuff right there. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5536533

weinsteins.jpg?itok=xKPLRhc-

• Haha 1

Just now, Rebeccas said:

AMATW performed pretty well as a sequel to its predecessor. The Ant-Man franchise just an underperformer compared to MCU's other franchises.

At least domestically it does. Overseas is looking great.

• Like 1

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=newlinetentpole2018.htm

Rampage is now only less than $20K away from reaching $99M. Will be fun to see when the film crosses $100M, in a couple of weeks with TTG double features, or possibly Skyscraper double features next week (The movie saw a jump when Jurassic World came out, and I don't think it's a stretch to say, since both are monster movies, WB negotiated with some theaters to place their film next to the dinos)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

At least domestically it does. Overseas is looking great.

Yeah, I mean the movie's going to do well overall but compared to Marvel's other solo movies it's not on par with Thor, Cap or even Dr. Strange probably.

• Like 3

Just now, Rebeccas said:

AMATW performed pretty well as a sequel to its predecessor. The Ant-Man franchise just an underperformer compared to MCU's other franchises.

It's honestly no different than Thor so far, which in some ways is more impressive since Thor and Loki got lots of screentime in The Avengers before the second movie. The AM characters have scarcely been seen outside of the AM movies. You could argue the AM movies have had to sell the most entirely on their own merits of any of the sub franchises. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

AM&TW increases 32% o/w from first movie - failure

JW:FK - decreases 28.5% o/w from previous film - success 

Sometimes BOT is some kind of special some thing.  :lol:

JW FK - 1.2 billion on a 170m budget

Ant Man 2 - 620 or so million on a 162m budget

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

It's honestly no different than Thor so far, which in some ways is more impressive since Thor and Loki got lots of screentime in The Avengers before the second movie. The AM characters have scarcely been seen outside of the AM movies. You could argue the AM movies have had to sell the most entirely on their own merits of any of the sub franchises. 

I feel like Antman movies are just going to perform like a phase behind the rest.. This feels like a Phase 2 movie more than anything else and it will probably end up grossing between Thor 2 and Cap 2 WW.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

JW FK - 1.2 billion on a 170m budget

Ant Man 2 - 620 or so million on a 162m budget

Also:

JW FK OW - 148M

AM and AM&TW OW's combined - 133M

The numbers don't lie.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Captain Craig said:

So some folks around here are acting like this is bad? Sounds about right for BOT

It saw an OW boost by nearly $20m over the first film($57m) and somehow this is bad? Um, no it's not.

It opened on the low end of what most saw as a range of $75-90m. Nothing wrong with this OW at all. 

Now let's watch it's legs. 

Increasing 33% from the first is fine.  I just think that when it opened to 11.5 for previews and had a 33.8 mill OD, to come in this soft for the weekend is very strange.  It's a terrible multiplier for the weekend.  And I wouldn't give this the same multiplier as the original.  This is a sequel so upfront demand is always greater.  So I don't think it will get a 2.8X.  2.6 is my guess.  I hope it goes over 200 because it deserves to, but we all know what Clint said in Unforgiven.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rebeccas said:

I feel like Antman movies are just going to perform like a phase behind the rest.. This feels like a Phase 2 movie more than anything else and it will probably end up grossing between Thor 2 and Cap 2 WW.

Which would be in the area of Doctor Strange which was also Phase 3. 

22 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

So some folks around here are acting like this is bad? Sounds about right for BOT

It saw an OW boost by nearly $20m over the first film($57m) and somehow this is bad? Um, no it's not.

It opened on the low end of what most saw as a range of $75-90m. Nothing wrong with this OW at all. 

Now let's watch it's legs. 

I got carried away with my Ant-Man and The Wasp predictions but I never thought 300mil was a given or something. No matter what I always felt that Doctor Strange numbers would be good for the film. To me under 75mil would have been disappointing meaning 65-73mil but above that is solid. Unless it has Civil War like legs it's doing fine. And the great overseas numbers will prop it up.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Which would be in the area of Doctor Strange which was also Phase 3. 

That was a new franchise though. Antman took 2 movies to get to a Doctor Strange level gross.

Either way, just shows that a smaller budget + stronger overseas can really save a movie from a "disappointing" domestic OW. Unlike that other movie.

Edited by Rebeccas
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

Increasing 33% from the first is fine.  I just think that when it opened to 11.5 for previews and had a 33.8 mill OD, to come in this soft for the weekend is very strange.  It's a terrible multiplier for the weekend.  And I wouldn't give this the same multiplier as the original.  This is a sequel so upfront demand is always greater.  So I don't think it will get a 2.8X.  2.6 is my guess.  I hope it goes over 200 because it deserves to, but we all know what Clint said in Unforgiven.

I do recall: "Deserving's got nothing to do with it."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1