WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 92): Ant-Man and the Wasp 75.8M (#CRUMBLING EVEN MORE) | Jurassic World 28.6M | Incredibles 2 28.4M | The First Purge 17.4M

14 minutes ago, Moviefanatic said:

Went from 100 million plus is in sight to under 80 million in a blink of an eye. Ant Man and the Flop indeed.

Joking aside the opening isn’t bad or great. Came in the low end of tracking so hurray I guess. 

Whats next that could surprise? I see Skyscraper brought up sometimes. Personally I think that movie looks absolutely atrocious.

Maybe MI6...

Christopher Robin. And The Nun.

Just gonna throw out my predictions for the major releases for the next few months while I'm at it.

Skyscraper - 30/80

Hotel - 42/130

Equalizer - 26/85

Mama Mia - 35/120

Mission - 55/180

Christopher Robin - 60/225

The Meg - 15/35

Happytime - 20/50

Slender - 20/40

The Nun - 55/175

Predator - 25/70

House w Clock - 25/85

Smallfoot - 25/90

Night School - 45/110

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, StevenG said:

For everyone who expects Black Panther to get Oscar nods for BP, BD or BSA...don't say that you were not warned. No matter how much of a cultural phenomenon it was, it will not be able to overcome the "genre franchise" thing. Get Out and Dunkirk are not good comparisons at all and yall know it.

BP will get exactle the same amount of Oscar nods Wonder Woman got: zero.

Itll get the same amount of best picture nods as The Dark Knight, The Avengers, Captain America: Winter Soldier, Gaurdians of the Galaxy, Wonder Woman, and Logan got. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

The Academy hates comic book movies. That’s what I should have originally said but I didn’t want to turn this thread into a conversation of whether those films were “worthy” or not so I misspoke and turned it into all blockbusters/franchises. 

I think people really suspected that would rapidly become the conclusion at least.

It is hard to say, the academy always hated sequel so much and now that comic book movie are presented as some movie universes, it is hard to distinguish which is the major factor, sequel/universe or SH.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, andersonhoran said:

lol

Stop saying bullshit. Carol is great and her movie will be great. 

Carol is an Air Force major, who works in space, will bring something differential to the genre.

Wonder Woman is only known because she has been exposed to the media all these years,there are VARIOUS other female characters better than her, she is simply generic,outdated and cliche,and her movie is also generic and cliche.

Marvel has the best female characters: Jean Grey,Storm,Rogue,Wasp,Thor(Jane Foster),Emma Frost,Sue Storm,Scarlet Witch,She Hulk,Spider-Woman,Ms Marvel...LGBT characters has Wiccan and Hulkling the most iconic gay couple in the comics...so just stop. 

Come one man, Wonder Woman is the citizen Kane/apocalypse now/The Godfather of the dccu and the few dc fans are oversensitive over it. Let them spew their bullshit, it’s the only thing they have left when we are living on a time when a “flop” Ant man movie will make more than a justice league film worldwide. Have some mercy on the poor folks, just say yes to everything they write.... 😉

• Haha 2
  • ...wtf 3

Just now, Barnack said:

I think people really suspected that would rapidly become the conclusion at least.

It is hard to say, the academy always hated sequel so much and now that comic book movie are presented as some movie universes, it is hard to distinguish which is the major factor, sequel/universe or SH.

Don’t get me wrong. I feel like a lot of comic book movies can be the same. But every now and then there are some that come along that are truly great in their own ways and they don’t get nominated and it makes me scratch my head because like a film like The Dark Knight would get nominated twenty years ago and for some reason won’t get nominated today. 

But I think like you said, the Academy views all of the movies as doing nothing new and thus ignoring them when it comes to Best Picture. I guess it’s why TFA didn’t get a best picture nom either 

3 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Come one man, Wonder Woman is the citizen Kane/apocalypse now/The Godfather of the dccu and the few dc fans are oversensitive over it. Let them spew their bullshit, it’s the only thing they have left when we are living on a time when a “flop” Ant man movie will make more than a justice league film worldwide. Have some mercy on the poor folks, just say yes to everything they write.... 😉

Time to take this absurd "discussion" to the Franchise Wars...

8 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

tumblr_owp74myhWM1tovmb9o1_500.gif

16 minutes ago, Nova said:

Don’t get me wrong. I feel like a lot of comic book movies can be the same. But every now and then there are some that come along that are truly great in their own ways and they don’t get nominated and it makes me scratch my head because like a film like The Dark Knight would get nominated twenty years ago and for some reason won’t get nominated today. 

But I think like you said, the Academy views all of the movies as doing nothing new and thus ignoring them when it comes to Best Picture. I guess it’s why TFA didn’t get a best picture nom either 

20 year's ago there was 3 sequel ever got nominated for best picture i think.

Godfather 2 and 3

The Bells of St. Mary's in 1945

Only one non Godfather movie did it and a long time ago, it is far from certain that Dark Knight would get nominated in 1998, if Empire Strike Back didn't in the early 80s and if it did not in 2008 (you share a lot of the same voters and voting system between 1998 and 2008).

In a general way, with the industry getting so OW heavy and franchise heavy, it pretty much disconnected box office with the movie actual quality (i.e. the previous entry in the franchise could be more important than the current movie quality), making it not surprising that it would disconnect box office with awards.

The more word of mouth type of success/success not coming from being pre-selling well to fans even before anyone saw the movie, still get nominated in best picture in a very high % rate, like pointed out except for Inside Out, maybe Zootopia/Moana, in live action at least it rarely miss out.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1

The two other people that stayed for the second post credits scene at Ant-Man yesterday were complaining how no CBMs ever get nominated for Best Picture. Maybe it's because they don't deserve to be :ph34r: 

• ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The two other people that stayed for the second post credits scene at Ant-Man yesterday were complaining how no CBMs ever get nominated for Best Picture. Maybe it's because they don't deserve to be :ph34r: 

"Why do they never nominate any of the only six movies I saw last year? Stupid out-of-touch Academy!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love free tickets. Now I have the chance to watch 2 movies for free.

I'll probably use them to watch Skyscraper ( I'm not feeling this movie ) and Hotel Transylvania 3 ( it seems fun ) or Mission Impossible: Fallout ( I'm not feeling this one too ).

I'll pay gladly to see The Equalizer 2.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

"Why do they never nominate any of the only six movies I saw last year? Stupid out-of-touch Academy!"

Well considering it took a hashtag for The Academy to start nominating more films with better representation, I’d agree they’re very much out of touch