grim22

Academy Awards adding a "Best Popular Film" category. Good or bad idea? Academy walks it back, won't be presented this year

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

It's not even debatable, if I were to say of all time it would be debatable (because Titanic)... but nothing of this century comes close

I think it depends what "cinematic experience" means personally for you then I guess.

Of the 2000s my personal ultimate cinematic experience would be the LOTR trilogy in theaters

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

So few sequel ever made it, but yeah maybe Force Awaken would have (Toy Story/Mad Max doing so).

Maybe some that missed (Inside Out) would have, but on the 2009-2010 list that made it in, in live action hard to imagine one missing in 2017.

Yeah, I reckon IO and TFA would have both greatly benefited from submitting a full 10 ballot.

Just now, 4815162342 said:

I think it depends what "cinematic experience" means personally for you then I guess.

Of the 2000s my personal ultimate cinematic experience would be the LOTR trilogy in theaters

yes I remember helms deep very well... very good

However.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

The Oscars is garbage to begin with.

Not giving Avatar best picture despite being the CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE of the century... irredeemable

just pack it up folks let the tradition die out we have no use for it no more

you won't be saying that when avatar 5 pulls a return of the king and sweeps for the whole series. first movie to win best regular picture and best popular picture.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Yeah I agree with all the points except that the Academy supposedly doesn't nominate popular movies. Look at the actual damn nominees and their grosses. There's a fine balance there. Just cause they didn't nominate your favorite superhero movie of whatever year doesn't mean popular hits aren't represented. Hell in 2012 all except two nominees grossed between 90m and 200m.

Hell, even the year after that saw 4 of its 9 nominees make well over $100M+. The truth of the matter is that somewhere around the time of The Rise of Brand Power and The Fall of Starpower, the mid-budget studio movie pretty much became extinct and most of the acclaimed movies were relegated to the indie world (last year saw 6 of its 9 nominees come from specialty divisions...and probably cost less on average than Sebastian Stan's wig in Infinity War). Oscar voters didn't become more snobby, the film industry itself just changed. There is a difference.

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

you won't be saying that when avatar 5 pulls a return of the king and sweeps for the whole series. first movie to win best regular picture and best popular picture.

You are sadly right because they won't allow them to enter both categories, popular films won't be considered real films (just like animations).

I hope you're right though Avatar 2 could win 15 oscars at this rate.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, filmscholar said:

Plenty of Blockbusters have won Oscars.  A lot of people forget Star Wars" won 7 Oscars in 1978  (But lost the Big Awards to "Annie Hall").   Most of the time, Blockbusters get the Tech Awards.   "Aliens" got 2  (Sigorney was also nominated for Best Actress in a Sci-Fi Role) ,  Jurassic Park got 3 , "Inception" got 4, "Terminator 2" got 4, "Matrix" got 4, "Avatar" got 3.  The Issue I have is the Elites on the Board of the Academy is trying to have it both ways.  The "Animated Film" Oscar made sense because animated films needed their own recognition.  The problem is they spent years disrespecting the artistic value of Blockbuster Films basically saying most are "popcorn fluff" and not real again "High Art".    

Thats the thing though, nobody really cares that much about tech awards and are not what one would tune into an awards show for.   The only ones that actually matter outside of acting noms are Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Writing/Screenplay.  To this day, LOTR is the only genre film(as in scifi, action, fantasy, etc) that has won all 3 of those. 

Terminator 2 won best makeup?  The Matrix won best visual effects? Jurassic Park won Best Sound?  Oh whoop-de-doo.

Edited by Ozymandias

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

You are sadly right because they won't allow them to enter both categories, popular films won't be considered real films (just like animations).

No feature film that played in theater will not be allowed to go in regular best picture because of this, like animated movie, foreign language and documentary are not disallowed in best picture.

Animation are allowed in BP.

Edited by Barnack

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

No feature film that played in theater will not be allowed to go in regular best picture because of this, like animated movie, foreign language and documentary are not disallowed in best picture.

Animation are allowed in BP.

yeah but not in both at the same time!

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

yeah but not in both at the same time!

Not sure about that, except of an rule change.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/82nd_Academy_Awards

Up won best animated and was nominated in best picture not so long ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/71st_Academy_Awards

Life is beautiful nominated in BP and winning best foreign language film at the same time.

I think you are mixing up with actor that cannot be nominated for 2 different role in the same category.

Edited by Barnack
  • Astonished 1

For me the biggest issue with the Oscars recently have been the pacing of the show itself and all the fat that could easily be trimmed. Like if they're cutting categories from being in the actual show just so we can get yet another unfunny segment of Celebrities Meet Average Joes there's no hope.

• Like 1

BTW I can't get over the proposition in the Deadline piece that they wanted "three audience-favored movies guaranteed Best Picture slots." The thought of that rule existing in 2009 when Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen would've gotten in by virtue of being one of the three biggest movies of that year is fucking terrifying.

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

BTW I can't get over the proposition in the Deadline piece that they wanted "three audience-favored movies guaranteed Best Picture slots." The thought of that rule existing in 2009 when Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen would've gotten in by virtue of being one of the three biggest movies of that year is fucking terrifying.

From what I understood of that proposition was to make sure of having 3 audience favored movies or more getting int, not letting the 3 highest dbo automatically in.

The rough idea, as I understood it, would involve having two ballots with one listing only the “popular” movies. Three top vote getters from that ballot would then be integrated into the other ballot in which all films were eligible

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jessie said:

so if they go through with this then surely Infinity war has it in the bag

The film still has to be good to win, so no.

But mission impossible has a chance.

Edited by AndyK
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AndyK said:

The film still has to be good to win, so no.

But mission impossible has a chance.

please. a film doesnt even have to be good to win BP, just look at last year. this is the sort of award the academy will give out without even watching the winning movie