kayumanggi

CAPTAIN MARVEL | 701.4 M overseas ● 1128.3 M worldwide

2 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Ahhh good idea

I know, but its still about people got hindered to see a movie of their choice in a cinema, even if in this case it was caused by a 'stupid' move by the distributor

Who knows, if you think it will be around $0.5m and only 0.5m are missing to a certain # or milestone, a lot of ppl might look at their numbers. Or not, if no milestone or... is near 😉 

hey i have see you in this forum before right ? bc you are reminding of someone nevermind i am probably wrong , i was talking aout terrestrial

Edited by john2000

1 hour ago, pepsa said:

Yeah and BP did 3.2 times what venom did domsticly and 2.1 times AQM so thats also insane by BP. Different markets different tastes.

No that made sense because BP was incredible and being very generous Venom was good. Had BP not achieved it was still going to do 500+ with a reintroduction, ties to Infinity War and critical acclaim. As for Aquaman, it was better than Venom but was still shedding the massive disappointment of Justice League and had a small opening. Aquaman's legs were absolutely incredible and it did better than BP internationally. Can't wait to rewatch it. Venom was lucky to make what it did for BOM with how bad the reviews were.

Aquaman doing better in China doesn't surprise me. Venom must have done some amazing marketing and resonated in a way that few other films could. It's not really a super hero movie. It's an antihero film, maybe that works better. BP's legs were just so horrendous yet amazing here. Obviously you're right in different tastes but it's way more than just that.

Edited by cdsacken

6 minutes ago, john2000 said:

hey i have see you in this forum before right ? bc you are reminding of someone nevermind i am probably wrong , i was talking aout terrestrial

Hmmm checks the calendar, nope, its not April fool's day anymore, I have no idea what you mean with this

BOT is very slow, doesn't show emojis in their area no member avatars, ... strange behaving again

2 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Hmmm checks the calendar, nope, its not April fool's day anymore, I have no idea what you mean with this

BOT is very slow, doesn't show emojis in their area no member avatars, ... strange behaving again

i was just joking , nevermind

3 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

No that made sense because BP was incredible and being very generous Venom was good. Had BP not achieved it was still going to do 500+ with a reintroduction, ties to Infinity War and critical acclaim. As for Aquaman, it was better than Venom but was still shedding the massive disappointment of Justice League and had a much smaller opening. Aquaman's legs were absolutely incredible and it did better than BP internationally. 

Aquaman doing better in China doesn't surprise me. Venom must have some amazing marketing and resonated in a way that few other films could. 

I didn't find BP incredible (I think most CBM movies aren't incredible) so if follow you logic I can't see how BP did $700m and ROTK/FOTR only did $377m/$314m Domstic even adjusting it doesn't get close to $700m because those movies where clearly 'objectively' better movies it's insane that BP got so much help from DOM.

But no that not my logic, I get why people have resonated with BP and that movies are subjective. So I am glad BP did insane boxoffice domsticly and happy for LOTR for what it did do.

54 minutes ago, peludo said:

Well, I see both Venom and Aquaman as special cases in China, like BP was domestically. Now we have seen that Captain Marvel has done "just" $150m, what is an undoubtable increase in the genre. Anyway, I think IW has boosted the genre like TA did in 2012.

Yeah they are special cases but BP wasn't a special case in America. It over-performed but it was always going to do great. A movie with a 29% rotten tomatoes having amazing legs and a super strong opening is definitely special and other movies with love to recreate whatever magic they used.

Captain Marvel has performed incredibly well all over the world and it's China's done pretty well if you take Aquaman and Venom completely out of the equation. Which fair enough doing that you're right. Even it's legs ended being decent for a high opening.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, pepsa said:

I didn't find BP incredible (I think most CBM movies aren't incredible) so if follow you logic I can't see how BP did $700m and ROTK/FOTR only did $377m/$314m Domstic even adjusting it doesn't get close to $700m because those movies where clearly 'objectively' better movies it's insane that BP got so much help from DOM.

But no that not my logic, I get why people have resonated with BP and that movies are subjective. So I am glad BP did insane boxoffice domsticly and happy for LOTR for what it did do.

I liked those films but their fan base is limited. My wife and most women I know had zero desire to see any of them. Conversely BP is by far her favorite CBM ( She has not seen CM yet)

Comparing totally different genres is an entirely different thing. Perhaps that's what makes Venom unique as it is definitely not a basic super hero film. It's more complex and the symbiotic relationship with alien life expands the categories as well. Maybe that helped or the enhanced technology, I liked that part myself too.

5 minutes ago, pepsa said:

I love some CBMs, some I like, some meh, some I wont even watch, I do love the 3 LotR movies (onl the first half of part 1 is a bit ... too much 'too...'), the 3 Hobbits I like mostly not really, ....

I think LotR had less push by 3D,... had very fine admission counts, in some countries are still very high in their top something lists... and reached a really great result for a trilogy. MCU movies 1-3 had no big ww fandom in the early days, so... reached less admissions.... One is fantasy, the other a CBM, Sci-Fi, action-comedy mix (with additional genre mixes per movies too)

Its a bit like the apple oranges comparisons to me

I'd love to watch the extended versions in a cinema, all 3 of them.

Just now, Fullbuster said:

So, did she CM finally reached $1B WW?

Theoretically yesterday (several outlets said it will be, should be,...), but its too early for the real outlets.

I guess when in the US it will be 8 or 9 in the morning....

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I liked those films but their fan base is limited. My wife and most women I know had zero desire to see any of them. Conversely BP is by far her favorite CBM ( She has not seen CM yet)

Comparing totally different genres is an entirely different thing. Perhaps that's what makes Venom unique as it is definitely not a basic super hero film. It's more complex and the symbiotic relationship with alien life expands the categories as well. Maybe that helped or the enhanced technology, I liked that part myself too.

At the end is a cultural matter. USA teens grew reading Marvel/DC, and here many teen have read LOTR.

SH genre was born in USA. It is something created there. For that reason the fan base is bigger than in many countries.

LOTR is enormous in Europe. The admissions and grosses made in some European countries are unreachable for any SH film, even Avengers.

I think that BP, being a good film, from the SH genre, adding the closeness of IW, and the social relevance that the black cast involves to USA, built a perfect storm.

(sorry for the off-topic. I am conscious we are in the CM's thread)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I love some CBMs, some I like, some meh, some I wont even watch, I do love the 3 LotR movies (onl the first half of part 1 is a bit ... too much 'too...'), the 3 Hobbits I like mostly not really, ....

I think LotR had less push by 3D,... had very fine admission counts, in some countries are still very high in their top something lists... and reached a really great result for a trilogy. MCU movies 1-3 had no big ww fandom in the early days, so... reached less admissions.... One is fantasy, the other a CBM, Sci-Fi, action-comedy mix (with additional genre mixes per movies too)

Its a bit like the apple oranges comparisons to me

I'd love to watch the extended versions in a cinema, all 3 of them.

He said I find x movie better than y so I think y is an outlier in how much money it made because it was badly received. 

So I took a movie I thought was much better and got even more critical aclaim than BP and use that to show that it's not a 1 to 1 comparison. 

Also Venom was well liked in China and BP not so much so for them they might be thinking those weird americans how can they like BP and not Venom.

I was just trying to point out that finding a movie good doesn't mean it should make more than an other movie.

@cdsacken ROTK was the second highest grossing movie of all time at the time of its release so I think it was bigger than BP. So saying it hasn't as big of a following is strange to me.

• Like 1

It's a very good discussion and I have enjoyed it :D . It's fun to compare BP to Captain Marvel as well. While it didn't have the same level of over-performance that BP did, 400+ DOM is amazing for any movie. Especially one with zero introduction before hand and the cast that was used in BP was ......just unreal. CM has a great cast too but not sure I put it up there and frankly the directing and writing wasn't as good for me.

All that said just look at the international reception to this film. It's absolutely nuts for a solo hero film. Very similar to Aquaman without 140+ million extra from China. The profit this movie will make is unreal which is great because hopefully that means we'll get a really good effort for the sequel.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, pepsa said:

He said I find x movie better than y so I think y is an outlier in how much money it made because it was badly received. 

So I took a movie I thought was much better and got even more critical aclaim than BP and use that to show that it's not a 1 to 1 comparison. 

Also Venom was well liked in China and BP not so much so for them they might be thinking those weird americans how can they like BP and not Venom.

I was just trying to point out that finding a movie good doesn't mean it should make more than an other movie.

@cdsacken ROTK was the second highest grossing movie of all time at the time of its release so I think it was bigger than BP. So saying it hasn't as big of a following is strange to me.

For one it was 15 years earlier and yes I think the US the fan base was smaller than BP although just as crazy if not more so. It's legs were equally incredible and just outrageous for international. It's a totally different genre and not the same demographic market. Both had universal acclaim from critics. BP higher in rotten tomatoes, ROTK higher in metacritic. I loved ROTK, it was awesome!

Of course the 700 was crazy, but with those reviews I would have expected a minimum of 400 with average not great legs. Just like I'm not shocked about CM, I full expected to do awesome, perhaps not quite this awesome but still.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

For one it was 15 years earlier and yes I think the US the fan base was smaller than BP although just as crazy if not more so. It's legs were equally incredible and just outrageous for international. It's a totally different genre and not the same demographic market. Both had universal acclaim from critics. BP higher in rotten tomatoes, ROTK higher in metacritic. I loved ROTK, it was awesome!

Of course the 700 was crazy, but with those reviews I would have expected a minimum of 400 with average not great legs. Just like I'm not shocked about CM, I full expected to do awesome, perhaps not quite this awesome but still.

Well I agree but in China BP did not get 97% liked and surtainly not by the audience so I agree if a movie gets 90+% rt you can expect good legs but only in the countries where that aplies.

And to the point BP had a higher RT score but when there was still an rt score in % and then a score by critics on 10 (average) ROTK average score on 10 was higher than BP's so the people who gave ROTK a positive review scored it a lot higher than BP. But overall less people gave it a faverable review. 

+11 oscars on the side 😛 

So to clear up, I fully believe BP was a good movie and a lot of people loved it, it had insane legs for the opening (more impressive than ROTK because that movie had winter holidays) Domisticly. I just don't think  DOM reception is equal to reception in different countries. 

• Like 1