WrathOfHan

Gladiator 2 | November 22, 2024 | DENZEL IS REUNITING WITH RIDLEY?!

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I never said I expect it to gross a billion, quite the opposite. I'm just saying it needs to gross money it'll never make to recoup its insane budget.

We'll see, but I doubt it. Everything about it felt off even months ago.

are you american? seems you give to much credit to things like internet culture or e movie geek culture. Or things like culture and politics wars. I know in america have some of an impact now but This kind of thing in my country and most countries just dont't exist. People watch Gladiator trailer on tv 2 days before and they go to see it.  Napoleon made 9M dollars which in proportion with north american market it's like 170-180M in the Us. No way this is not gonna make at least the double or more of Napoleon. I'm expecting a kinda of break out movie here. 

I mean Oppenhiemer after all made "just" 33% of the total in the Us. I see this with big numbers in Europe. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

We don’t know the budget, we really should stop believing in budget reports of movies that isn’t even finished yet 

We know, trades reported its 310 mln early this year, probably more after recent reshoots. And Paramount kinda confirmed it's at least 250 mln in the same article when they were asked about comment. Joseph Quinn casually mentioned it's 300 mln as well.

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

And even if it is 300M … ~800M like someone said is a respectful result for any R Rated movie.

800M is a break even point, it would be more like "we saved our asses from giant loses" than big success. Kinda like Elemental.

6 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

We’re being hearing F1 costs 300M for months now only for the director to come out and debunks it.

Of course they do, they don't need headlines like this because it'll make box office look bad when it's released and they're still filming it.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Now if Hollywood can’t be minimally careful about their budgets to a point that even one of the biggest results ever for a Rated R movie wouldn’t be enough, that’s other problem. 

True.

8 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

are you american? seems you give to much credit to things like internet culture or e movie geek culture. Or things like culture and politics wars. I know in america have some of an impact now but This kind of thing in my country and most countries just dont't exist. People watch Gladiator trailer on tv 2 days before and they go to see it.  Napoleon made 9M dollars which in proportion with north american market it's like 170-180M in the Us. No way this is not gonna make at least the double or more of Napoleon. I'm expecting a kinda of break out movie here. 

I mean Oppenhiemer after all made "just" 33% of the total in the Us. I see this with big numbers in Europe. 

That's the problem, double Napoleon is not enough to say the least. Historical epics simply don't do numbers this movie needs, in fact they are even less appealing to the general audience today.

Edited by Firepower

Posted (edited)

I'm really excited about the Gladiator vs Wicked weekend. The ultimate dad movie vs ultimate mom movie. Perfect counterprograming. Both studios clearly spent a lot of money on both. It will be really epic!

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Firepower said:

We know, trades reported its 310 mln early this year, probably more after recent reshoots. And Paramount kinda confirmed it's at least 250 mln in the same article when they were asked about comment. Joseph Quinn casually mentioned it's 300 mln as well.

800M is a break even point, it would be more like "we saved our asses from giant loses" than big success. Kinda like Elemental.

Of course they do, they don't need headlines like this because it'll make box office look bad when it's released and they're still filming it.

I don’t know what else to tell you. Actors doesn’t know exact budgets of movies, they’re just guessing. And trades doesn’t know budgets of movies that aren’t even finished.

We also don’t know about taxes which matters like is the case with F1, they explained about the budget and the taxes … treating everything as lies won’t change the fact that we don’t know anything to call movies a bomb months before release because of budgets. 

There’s also a big difference between 250M and 350M which some people are saying. 

So yeah, if you feel it’s gonna fail for whatever reason it’s fine, but at least stop using the budget that we don’t actually know about it as proof.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Why would anyone think putting a Kanye song in your trailer is a good idea in 2024? It also seems distinctly hypocritical coming from Paramount.  

To be clear, I’m not saying this will negatively impact the movie. It’s just a bafflingly tone-deaf idea, given all of Kanye’s controversies over the past few years. Then again, I suppose Paramount is pretty good at not reading the room. 

This is my issue with the song being used more than it is about them using a rap song (I like rap, but not Kanye admittedly). Having watched the trailer a couple of times now it actually doesn’t stick out too badly, the lyrics make sense in context, but it also just sort of blends into the background anyway so it’ll not be a big sticking point to anyone outside the internet echo chamber that’s made it into the latest negative talking point around this movie. What sticks out to me personally is that it’s tone deaf that Paramount used a Kanye song given his recent controversies, not that the vast majority of viewers will care or likely even know it’s a Kanye song, so I guess it won’t matter in the long run.

Posted (edited)

Whatever the budget is it's pennies compared to the massive hordes of Paramount's new owners, so I doubt it will have much short term impact if the movie just has a mediocre performance. Ridley Scott also pretty much coasts on his reputation these days to get new projects greenlit, so I doubt he's really on the hook for much.

Obviously it would be ideal for theaters and faith in the historical fiction genre if this was a big hit, but I don't think the expectations are as high as the budget reports imply.

Edited by AniNate

Posted (edited)

I think this will do 500 million which for a historical epic is great

The budget is crazy though 

but at least compared to a lot of recent 300 million films, it actually looks like 300 million. 

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 1

Weren't there reports that when this halted filming at the beginning of a strike that ended up lasting about four months, it was while filming a giant action sequence with thousands of extras? When you consider that, the math adds up re: the budget.

I hope y'all are prepared for inflated budgets and zero profit for the next two years.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Weren't there reports that when this halted filming at the beginning of a strike that ended up lasting about four months, it was while filming a giant action sequence with thousands of extras? When you consider that, the math adds up re: the budget.

I hope y'all are prepared for inflated budgets and zero profit for the next two years.

but unlike a lot of films with crazy budgets it actually looks like 300 million dollars were spent lol 

49 minutes ago, Firepower said:

You don’t believe the trade budgets though, why start now? 

Poorly edited trailer that makes what seems like a straightforward story look confusing. Bad visuals. No nostalgia hooks. Unknown lead.

30/95

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 2
  • Disbelief 1

40 minutes ago, filmlover said:

No. The Hollywood Reporter said it only increased by 10M. We'll see a bunch of films coming out this year that were delayed by the strikes that won't have massive budget increases like this film.

• Like 1

It's weird how believe scoopers about the quality of films but not trades on budgets.

But it's clear people here are coping. They knew the trailer had to be a home run and it wasn't. So now the budget isn't real, any less-than-positive opinions about the trailer are meaningless and concern trolling, and somehow Paramount doesn't care about massive money-losing films (when much bigger studios do) because they have a new business daddy even though Skydance will only keep them above water for a few years. Oh well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roaming Roman said:

It's weird how believe scoopers about the quality of films but not trades on budgets.

But it's clear people here are coping. They knew the trailer had to be a home run and it wasn't. So now the budget isn't real, any less-than-positive opinions about the trailer are meaningless and concern trolling, and somehow Paramount doesn't care about massive money-losing films (when much bigger studios do) because they have a new business daddy even though Skydance will only keep them above water for a few years. Oh well.

The fact is none of the negativity actually serves a constructive purpose until the movie comes out. I'd rather enjoy talking about the movie until then than be "right" about it, whatever that actually ends up meaning.

4 minutes ago, Roaming Roman said:

Well said.

Ok, i just read some reactions on youtube and people are straight up hating on this trailer. I'm so shocked, i thought the trailer was not bad at all. I still think the curiosity will get people to theaters