WrathOfHan

Gladiator 2 | November 22, 2024 | DENZEL IS REUNITING WITH RIDLEY?!

If any unnecessary sequel could succeed, it's this one. All signs from above point to a giant flop, but considering how unpredictable market has become, now I wouldn't be surprised if it somehow succeeds against all odds and common sense. At the very least, unlike Joker 2 and last Ridley's films, this one looks like a genuine attempt at big crowdpleaser and replication of the original's formula, so it's unlikely to cause any audience anger.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 35MM-18 said:

This outgrossing Joker: Folie a Deux's lifetime DOM gross in its OW alone was not on my 2024 bingo card, but it's almost inevitably going to happen at this stage.

Right now, for legs I'm thinking something similar to Dial of Destiny (2.89x), but if it really breaks out with audiences it could be the next Twisters (and with a better OS showing for sure).

I think with a good reception it has a better IM than DOD. It will have the 10 day Thanksgiving period and into the Christmas money train to stretch its legs and it has no real competition for it's audience. Dial of Destiny had Dead Reckoning, Oppenheimmer, and even Sound of Freedom play to it's audience.

• Like 1

I don't feel too comfortable discussing the movie's reception without that much appraisal of it, but it would have to be pretty miserable to be comparable to Dial. Dial had few cheerleaders because Harrison Ford was too old for the role by that point, and because Crystal Skull exists.

This is starting to screen VERY SOON. I believe 10/18 with a Q&A. In fact, it may have had a screening last night. They're confident it's gonna have a good reception. 

EDIT: Looks like there's one happening right now!

https://x.com/Diesol/status/1844750683821768811?t=L1uGndo5FKaQ48pmTN-SeQ&s=19

Edited by Pinacolada
  • Astonished 1

On 10/10/2024 at 1:43 PM, WittyUsername said:

Studios have apparently been steering clear of early November due a certain event taking place in the United States. 

Which could even have a impact in late November. People have no idea how crazy it might get.

8 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

I don't feel too comfortable discussing the movie's reception without that much appraisal of it, but it would have to be pretty miserable to be comparable to Dial. 

I thought Dial's DOM multiplier was actually pretty decent considering what its reception was (there was a point around its second weekend where I thought it'd struggle to get a 2.5x), hence why I used it as a comparison (ill-advised and perhaps thoughtless as I may have been in doing so).

9 hours ago, emoviefan said:

It will have the 10 day Thanksgiving period and into the Christmas money train to stretch its legs and it has no real competition for it's audience. Dial of Destiny had Dead Reckoning, Oppenheimmer, and even Sound of Freedom play to it's audience.

Never really considered that aspect before, even though I probably should have. I think you'll be right about this if it does click with the audiences: could be the next Twisters.

• Like 2

1. People associated with Gladiator 2 cite "AUGUST STREET FILMS LIMITED" on their cv (the last film associated with that Company I recall seeing was D&D: Honor Among Thieves)
  2. After spending $60M pounds in 2022 (year before that 114M pounds), the company registered 350M USD of spending in 2023 (286.7 pounds) w/ 13M pounds from film tax credits in 2023 in the UK. 
  3. filming wrapped in January with some reshoots in June. 
  4. An overall 50M Euro tax credit from Malta (up to 40% of total spending in country)
  5. ??? from Morocco (35%)
  6. ??? Post production tax credits they're presumably using from other countries

So even if that's 70-80M in tax credits for 2023, and you want to plausibly argue I've missed something about how to attribute ASFL spending, I'm struggling to see a path anywhere close to 250M accounting for 2024.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce