sfran43

Weekend Thread : Asgardian #'s on p.17 ~ 19.6M Saturday

6 minutes ago, James said:

You think Pikachu is small competition? Is is funny how people forget that Pokemon is the world's most valuable brand, way ahead of SW and HP. Pikachu will make money. It will be big DOM but it will be enormous OS (assuming it is at least decent). I don't see less than 400m OS and I think 500m is likely.

To be fair it is a spin-off but I do think Pikachu is definitely a wild card.

Runtimes w/out credits and trailer attachments for next week's releases:

Grinch: 1:20. Attachments are HTTYD 3 and SLOP 2

Spider's Web: 1:50. Attachments unknown (likely Escape Room and Miss Bala, with maybe Holmes & Watson)

Overlord: 1:42. Attachments are Bumblebee and Pet Sematary

LOL at how short Grinch is.

Edited by CoolEric258
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Runtimes w/out credits and trailer attachments for next week's releases:

Grinch: 1:20. Attachments are HTTYD 3 and SLOP 2

Spider's Web: 1:50. Attachments unknown (likely Escape Room and Miss Bala, with maybe Holmes & Watson)

Overlord: 1:42. Attachments are Bumblebee and Pet Sematary

LOL at how short Grinch is.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060345/

The original animated one was 26min. 

But yeah, 80min is very short for a full feature these days.

20 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I'm going to post this once, and then move on. 

:gold: @ that Bohemian Rhapsody number.  Prayer circle it falls off a cliff next week.

Why the hate? Did i miss something?

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Google "Bryan Singer" and you can figure out what she's upset over.

That is no reason to hate a movie, a lot of people worked on it and the director was even replaced. It is also one of the last triumphs of a dying, legendary studio.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

That is no reason to hate a movie, a lot of people worked on it and the director was even replaced. It is also one of the last triumphs of a dying, legendary studio.

Someone's forgetting New Mutants

28 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Google "Bryan Singer" and you can figure out what she's upset over.

Oh yes, i remember. But i always found it irritiating to hate a movie because of 1 person who is involved in the project. Hundreds of people worked on Bohemian Rhapsody. 

• Like 4

https://deadline.com/2018/11/bohemian-rhapsody-nutcracker-weekend-box-office-tiffany-haddish-nobodys-fool-1202494598/

When it comes to brands, don’t underestimate the music of Queen, and as expected, 20th Century Fox/New Regency/GK Films’ Bohemian Rhapsody is poised to go past $40M this weekend — how about $43M-$45M — after what the industry is seeing is an $17.5M-$18M Friday. It’s not just the 50+ crowd who is planning to go see this movie, but their kids, and their grandchildren. Audiences, as Queen would sing, “are having a good time.”

• Like 3
  • Astonished 4

Bohemian Rhapsody along with ASIB, CRA etc prove that mid budget films are still viable. I think the all tentpole strategy Disney has does work for them but they could balance it with a few lower cost live action films. 

I imagine studios will be looking at musical biopics as the next big thing, Rocketman could do well for Paramount next year but I reckon we'll see more in development. 

The budget for Bohemian Rhapsody was $52m which seems to be money well spent although considering there isn't any big names, I'm surprised it's that high 

Edited by Jonwo

Also just added...

The $55M 20th Century Fox production is beating the $120M princess production from the studio that’s about to buy them out. We’re talking about Disney’s The Nutcracker and the Four Realms which is looking at $20M-$23M for the weekend after a $6M-$7M Friday, which reps the third bomb this year after A Wrinkle in Time and Solo: A Star Wars Story. 

Paramount’s Tyler Perry comedy Nobody’s Fool is looking at an estimated $5.5M to $6M today and a weekend between $14M-$16M.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

Alright, so better for Nutcracker than I expected. Even a 6M Friday would be good for it given its preview number. Still a bomb for Disney, unless Overseas saves it. Was hoping for a megabomb, but at least BR is keeping the BO healthy. 

43-45M is GODLIKE :ohmygod: 

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Alright, so better for Nutcracker than I expected. Even a 6M Friday would be good for it given its preview number. Still a bomb for Disney, unless Overseas saves it. Was hoping for a megabomb, but at least BR is keeping the BO healthy. 

43-45M is GODLIKE :ohmygod: 

OS won't save Nutcracker as it'll be competing with The Grinch and Ralph and Grinch is a big question mark because Dr Seuss isn't that popular OS. 

BR's OW isn't too surprising given how popular Queen is, the only musical biopic that's done more was Compton and BR will a lot more OS.