sfran43

Weekend Thread : Asgardian #'s on p.17 ~ 19.6M Saturday

Nutcracker will bomb everywhere but in Europe and that market is strong enough to take it to over 100M OS. It'll still be a write off but not as bad as Solo and AWIT. But no mistake, it's a bomb just not an atomic one.

BR is slaying and legs should be great too.

ASIB keeps slaying but that's no news.

Venom legs :Venom:

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's already made more overseas than A Wrinkle in Time did ($32M, woof was that one completely rejected) and still has some markets to go. Gonna be a write off for them but is unlikely to be as severe of a write off as that film and Solo were if it can manage $200M worldwide.

AWIT failed because it's simply not a known title OS whereas The Nutcracker is very well known. 

The Grinch will do well next week but I'm not sure on its OS chances, The Lorax flopped OS but Horton Hears a Who! only did $12m less OS  than domestic so I think if Grinch does $200-250m OS Universal will be happy, 

27 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Good to know. You clearly have such incredible intellect that I, a mere mortal, can not even fathom to argue against such godly knowledge.

Anything else? I explained my position.  If people on here stop taking critics words as gospel then the board would be better for it. 

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's already made more overseas than A Wrinkle in Time did ($32M, woof was that one completely rejected) and still has some markets to go. Gonna be a write off for them but is unlikely to be as severe of a write off as that film and Solo were if it can manage $200M worldwide.

Even then it's going to be playing on Disney channels and Disney streaming for years.  It will be probably profitable in the end.

For comparison sake The Outlaw King cost Netflix $130m and it won't be doing $10m WW let alone $200m

• ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Even then it's going to be playing on Disney channels and Disney streaming for years.  It will be probably profitable in the end.

For comparison sake The Outlaw King cost Netflix $130m and it won't be doing $10m WW let alone $200m

...That doesn't make any sense. Do you understand what Netflix is?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It'll almost certainly see a profit before The Sisters Brothers (which cost less than 1/3rd as much and won't even make back 1/10th of its budget worldwide) does, at least.

Edited by filmlover

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Don't know about here but obviously it would make a goldmine overseas.

I think their story is interesting enough to justify a biopic although I'm not sure if the band would give their approval, there are lot of events that may still be too raw for them to see depicted like the breakdowns of both marriages. 

Just now, MrGlass2 said:

...That doesn't make any sense. Do you understand what Netflix is?

Do you know what Disney is and how many channels they need to feed and that they will have a new streaming service to supply in addition to owning 2/3rds of Hulu?

Do you know the profitability of a movie extends well beyond it's theatrical release? 

Disney are going to be supplying original content to their streaming service that costs as much as Nutcracker.  Without the huge marketing expense but also without the attendant B.O. 

Is Nutcracker going to drive people into signing up for the service like original SW and MCU content - no.  But it will become part of the catalogue that shores it up.  Like Outlaw King does for Netflix.

14 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

AWIT failed because it's simply not a known title OS whereas The Nutcracker is very well known. 

The Grinch will do well next week but I'm not sure on its OS chances, The Lorax flopped OS but Horton Hears a Who! only did $12m less OS  than domestic so I think if Grinch does $200-250m OS Universal will be happy, 

The Grinch is well known overseas, there's no comparison to other Dr Seuss titles, and Illumination is big overseas too. 

But... the marketing has been nearly nonexistent so I guess they just have a dud.

Just now, expensiveho said:

The Grinch is well known overseas, there's no comparison to other Dr Seuss titles, and Illumination is big overseas too. 

But... the marketing has been nearly nonexistent so I guess they just have a dud.

An Illumination "dud" probably does at least $500m WW

• Like 1

Explain how Outlaw King,  which I've never really heard of,  is shoring up Netflix when its shows like Stranger Things, Narcos,  Making a Murderer and TV content like the AMC catalog or Friends that 90% of users are interested in.  

I'd say anything beyond what I listed is just there...   

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

An Illumination "dud" probably does at least $500m WW

$450-500m is what I'm thinking for The Grinch which would still be excellent but low by their standards. 

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I'm predicting a $49M opening for Grinch but buzz does feel very quiet. Grosses are clearly gonna be closer to The Lorax than any of Illumination's biggest hits.

I'm sure it'll hold well over the holidays but having two animated movies coming in the following weeks after will hurt it especially Ralph Breaks the Internet.

8 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Is Nutcracker going to drive people into signing up for the service like original SW and MCU content - no.  But it will become part of the catalogue that shores it up.  Like Outlaw King does for Netflix.

Nutcracker is a huge flop at the box office. Disney starting a streaming service to compete with Netflix doesn't mean that none of their movies can be considered flops from now on (example: The Nutcracker).

Not sure why you keep bringing up the budget of Outlaw King. You might as well mention Big Bang Theory or Grand Theft Auto 5 - they made $0 in theaters! The success of Netflix series and movies has absolutely nothing to do with the box office, and only Netflix knows anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1