sfran43

Weekend Thread : Asgardian #'s on p.17 ~ 19.6M Saturday

Ahhhh I can’t believe ASIB only dropped 20% in the face of Bohemian. Lady Gaga, box office superstar. Who would’ve thought? Musicians have such a hard time transitioning to movies. Most have failed disastrously (even Madonna). All with a leisurely paced, R-rated drama, no less. And the soundtrack is smashing WW

• Like 1

On 11/3/2018 at 12:47 AM, Nova said:

The most impressive studio for me this year has been Warner Bros. The trifecta of The Meg, Crazy Rich Asians and A Star Is Born is/was something else 

Eh how about Disney with Infinity War, Black Panther and Incredibles 2. 

I wasn't surprised about A Star is Born's word of mouth after seeing it. It is a crowdpleasing film through and through. And yes crowdpleasers can be tragedies as well. Gave me the same feeling I had after seeing Get Out and Wonder Woman last year. You just kind of knew they would have above average word of mouth.

1 hour ago, CoolEric258 said:

Ah yes, one single, solitary tweet from a guy who writes for SuperBroMovies, a website I've never heard of before is indicative of a majority or at least a strong amount of professional critics on how they went out of their way to hyperbolize a movie's reception or strategically downvoted a random superhero movies because of petty fanboy arguments that most professional critics and movie bloggers don't actually give a shit about.

Yeah that ain't enough. Show me statements from critics or writers who work at actual professional and well-established publications. Variety, THR, EW, The Guardian, TheWrap, HuffPost, ReelViews, or even places like IGN or Collider. Then we'll talk. Because I don't really think one single tweet from a guy who writes for "SuperBroMovies" is fully indicative of your moronic and stupid argument about how critics are the devils and that people shouldn't listen to those who have had years of experience analyzing film because they said mean things about a children's movie.

See I knew you'd move the goalposts.  First it's "show me one"  and then it's "show me two"  and then it's "well they aren't a real critic" although most of these fanboy driven websites are counted as "critics" on RT..    

Anything I post you will just further move the goalposts so no need to continue this.  Venom is about to pass $600M..  I'd rather celebrate that then continue down this road you want to go down.  

• Knock It Off 1

11 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

See I knew you'd move the goalposts.  First it's "show me one"  and then it's "show me two"  and then it's "well they aren't a real critic" although most of these fanboy driven websites are counted as "critics" on RT..    

Anything I post you will just further move the goalposts so no need to continue this.  Venom is about to pass $600M..  I'd rather celebrate that then continue down this road you want to go down.  

Okay...the one tweet you posted was from somebody who isn't counted on RT. I am well aware fanboy sites get counted as critics. I even mentioned a few like IGN and Collider. However, the one example that you used is from a writer for a website that has no affiliation with RT. I even mentioned in my previous post "professional critics", so I already set up a goalpost for you. This Daniel guy? Ain't professional. So your basis for your "critics are bad" argument is one person who is not even certified by RT? Yeah, your argument is still garbage. But hey, if doing your stupid song and dance because some people said mean things over a dumb children's movie makes you feel better, who am I to judge?

37 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Eh how about Disney with Infinity War, Black Panther and Incredibles 2. 

Two out of the three listed I knew were going to be huge. It was only a matter of how huge.

The most impressive one on that list is Black Panther. I would say its box office run is the most impressive of the whole year though. 

When it comes to The Meg, Crazy Rich Asians and A Star Is Born, their grosses are much more shocking to me though. Only because the box office has been dominated by big budget franchises left and right so to see a studio take three different films with three different audiences and market them in a way that had them make the money that they did is impressive. 

This is just my opinion of course and I am sure others would disagree but given what the box office landscape has become, I'm more impressed by a studio taking new/different ideas and turning them into box office success stories. Even if the numbers for those films are smaller in scale than what the big franchises are making. 

• Like 1

Oh and by the way @Johnny Tran, considering one of the movies (Bohemian Rhapsody) you're defending has a director that has numerous sexual abuse scandals, including with young boys, maybe you shouldn't be so ecstatic or high and mighty about "owning the biased critics," at least when it comes to that movie. Just sayin'.

33 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Oh and by the way @Johnny Tran, considering one of the movies (Bohemian Rhapsody) you're defending has a director that has numerous sexual abuse scandals, including with young boys, maybe you shouldn't be so ecstatic or high and mighty about "owning the biased critics," at least when it comes to that movie. Just sayin'.

This coming from someone who was quoting Trump?  With his more than two dozen sexual assault allegations?  hilarious..  

"Dumb children's movies" ...   is that supposed to make me feel some type of way? That's twice now, another reason why I would never seriously engage in debate with you.  I don't care if you think these movies are dumb or for children or if you feel other movies are for adults,  etc..

Edited by Johnny Tran

5 hours ago, Alli said:

with the content Netflix puts out, i'd say Hollywood has nothing to worry about. what are netflix' best movies this year that can compete with the studios ?

It looks like Disney was worried enough to fast track its own streaming service and spending 80 billion dollars buying Fox for it.

The fact that you guys keep undermining Netflix sucess because you don't understand it is just laughable. If every media company (+ other giants like Amazon and Apple) are spending so much so they have a chance to compete with Netflix on streaming it must mean something, but what do they know, right?

Also, Netflix big movies are just starting this award season (and let's not forget the 2 mid-sized hits it got this summer with "All The Boys I've Loved Before" and "Sierra Burgess is a Loser" that made Noah Centineo a social-media star). They're just starting with their movies strategy, already conquering TV (it literally ended cable, taking away customers and awards prestige, and networks are sinking faster each year)

I apologize for bringing it up in here. I should have taken it to the proper thread. I was just sick of the whining about critics from a certain gang in this thread. It seems off topic to me but that doesn't mean that I should have veered even more off topic. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, expensiveho said:

It looks like Disney was worried enough to fast track its own streaming service and spending 80 billion dollars buying Fox for it.

The fact that you guys keep undermining Netflix sucess because you don't understand it is just laughable. If every media company (+ other giants like Amazon and Apple) are spending so much so they have a chance to compete with Netflix on streaming it must mean something, but what do they know, right?

Also, Netflix big movies are just starting this award season (and let's not forget the 2 mid-sized hits it got this summer with "All The Boys I've Loved Before" and "Sierra Burgess is a Loser" that made Noah Centineo a social-media star). They're just starting with their movies strategy, already conquering TV (it literally ended cable, taking away customers and awards prestige, and networks are sinking faster each year)

?

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017/05/07/global-pay-tv-revenues-to-peak-in-2017/

Pay TV (cable + satellite) was an over 200 billion business in 2017 the most ever, a good growth from 143 billion 10 year's ago in 2008, Netflix was 11.7 billion last year, to put stuff in perspective, TV didn't end it is still about 4-5 times bigger then all the over the top stuff and should still be 250% bigger in 2022.

How high of a price  Fox world tv assets just got in a sale do show that cable was not ended. 

Projection are for a slow decline and still be a 200 billion business in 2022.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

ASIB, VENOM and SMALLFOOT all fell in 20% range

4 2 A Star is Born (2018) WB $11,100,000 -20.9% 3,431 -473 $3,235 $165,634,566 $36 5

6 3 Venom (2018) Sony $7,850,000 -26.3% 3,067 -500 $2,560 $198,663,348 $100 5
7 8 Smallfoot WB $3,805,000 -20.1% 2,002 -660 $1,901 $77,484,301 - 6

I think ASIB is still targeting 200-210 and will stay behind VENOM which is sure to go over SOLO and looking at 215-220.

There's a shot at SMALLFOOT hitting 90 dom. Looking at it's OS drops prior to this weekend I think 250 ww is also on table even if unlikely. Doing 3x it's prod budget of 80 globally would be very pleasing.

------

CHRIS ROBIN in 99+ range.

27 31 Disney's Christopher Robin BV $134,000 +43.8% 165 +17 $812 $99,005,049 - 14
Edited by a2k
  • Like 1