sfran43

Weekend Thread : Asgardian #'s on p.17 ~ 19.6M Saturday

Nutcracker is a flop, meaning it actually lost investors money. it will take many years to recoup its budget, if ever.

Outlaw king i'd argue is a flop too. i doubt it adds much value to the netflix brand. like a user above said, it's not one of Netflix iconic shows and i doubt many people are interested/ are gonna watch it. but netflix, like disney has money to burn, so i guess...it's a tie

Edited by Alli

3 minutes ago, Alli said:

Outlaw king i'd argue is a flop too. i doubt it adds much value to the netflix brand. like a user above said, it's not one of Netflix iconic shows and i doubt many people are interested/ are gonna watch it.

People will just fast forward to Chris Pine's full frontal scene and then go back to the main page. And Netflix will be like:

Image result for winning is winning gif

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

with the content Netflix puts out, i'd say Hollywood has nothing to worry about. what are netflix' best movies this year that can compete with the studios ?

They are putting out a major awards contender this year (Alfonso Cuaron's Roma).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

Given how well Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again did, I wonder how an ABBA biopic would fare? 

I don't think it would do that great, considering we've already got two very popular movies that are centered around the music. I'd be more interested to see how well Rocketman takes advanatge of the success of Bohemian Rhapsody (and this huge wave of musicals success this past few years) next summer.

Though the real question is how well will the eventual Beatles biopic fare...

Edited by TomeRide
Spelling mistake

28 minutes ago, Alli said:

with the content Netflix puts out, i'd say Hollywood has nothing to worry about.

Not sure what "Hollywood" refers to here, FOX will vanish next year for example.

In general major studios are all parts of giant corporations now, and they do worry about the decline in DVD sales and future changes to ancillary revenues because of Netflix among other things.

11 minutes ago, TomeRide said:

I don't think it would do that great, considering we've already got two very popular movies that are centered around the music. I'd be more interested to see how well Rocketman takes advanatge of the success of Bohemian Rhapsody (and this huge wave of musicals success this past few years) next summer.

Though the real question is how well will the eventual Beatles biopic fare...

The Beatles has semi biopics with Nowhere Boys and Backbeat but a full biopic would be nigh on impossible just from licensing music. 

25 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The Beatles has semi biopics with Nowhere Boys and Backbeat but a full biopic would be nigh on impossible just from licensing music. 

I wonder how they're doing Lennon.  Aside from having to get Yoko's permission for I gather his post Beatles music will make it highly curated to her liking there's still music rights owned Sony.

Now that Sony fully owns the Beatles back catalog I'd suppose their film division would have an easier time making a Beatles bio pic than any other studio.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Then there's the critics who were rooting for its failure because it wasn't a part of the MCU and they wanted it to be a part of the MCU.  That's not critique,  that's being a fanboy. 

What an interesting argument. Tell me, do you have any evidence of critics stating that? I for one would be shocked that professional critics would say something so petty.

1 minute ago, Johnny Tran said:

See here 

Outlandish garbage. 

Ah yes, one single, solitary tweet from a guy who writes for SuperBroMovies, a website I've never heard of before is indicative of a majority or at least a strong amount of professional critics on how they went out of their way to hyperbolize a movie's reception or strategically downvoted a random superhero movies because of petty fanboy arguments that most professional critics and movie bloggers don't actually give a shit about.

Yeah that ain't enough. Show me statements from critics or writers who work at actual professional and well-established publications. Variety, THR, EW, The Guardian, TheWrap, HuffPost, ReelViews, or even places like IGN or Collider. Then we'll talk. Because I don't really think one single tweet from a guy who writes for "SuperBroMovies" is fully indicative of your moronic and stupid argument about how critics are the devils and that people shouldn't listen to those who have had years of experience analyzing film because they said mean things about a children's movie.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Alli said:

with the content Netflix puts out, i'd say Hollywood has nothing to worry about. what are netflix' best movies this year that can compete with the studios ?

Netflix:

Headquarters: Los Gatos, California, United States

Netflix is not not Hollywood either.

7 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

See here 

Outlandish garbage. 

Not any more outlandish than saying Venom is great which some have said.  It's an OPINION and given by someone who's a bigger DCEU fan than MCU fan.

Venom has currently 275 reviews on RT.  It has a 29% RT score with Top Critics giving it 18%.  If you think any of those top critics are "fanboys" you're highly mistaken.

Having a poor or mediocre RT score or avg doesn't mean a movie is bad (or vice versa) or that one can't love a movie but it also doesn't mean it's a conspiracy of fanboys to downgrade movies that aren't part of their favorite franchise or studios.  That's ridiculous.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Do you know what Disney is and how many channels they need to feed and that they will have a new streaming service to supply in addition to owning 2/3rds of Hulu?

Do you know the profitability of a movie extends well beyond it's theatrical release? 

Disney are going to be supplying original content to their streaming service that costs as much as Nutcracker.  Without the huge marketing expense but also without the attendant B.O. 

Is Nutcracker going to drive people into signing up for the service like original SW and MCU content - no.  But it will become part of the catalogue that shores it up.  Like Outlaw King does for Netflix.

Still do not get the comparison, if Outlaw King would make 10m on a giant wide world release, that would be a sign of audience interest and a sign that it add no value to the platform, the content need to create new users or retain users to be worth anything to a streamer. If an Outlaw king movie would make 10m at the box office would it have been released it is worth about nothing to Netflix.

Movie always played forever on streaming service (that was TV) and for every studio, there is nothing much different here revenues wise.

Netflix has yet to make profit while having most of is platform populated by cheaper to acquire already moneytised product (and it is not like they were making that big of a profit with those)

Edited by Barnack

16 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

See here 

Outlandish garbage. 

Do sound like garbage (Tom Hardy bad in this or This Means War...... what ?), but he is not a critic.

I echo the sentiment that your average critic do not care a second if a marvel movie is part of the MCU or not, he will often prefer when it is not too connected to it and need to remember a bunch of previous movies to get what is going on, the Black Panther getting much better reviews than the Avengers type.