AdamKendall

Weekend Thread 12/28-12/30 AQM 51.5 MPR 28 BB 20.5 ITSV 18.3

16 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Vice:

Remainder of this week: 7.2M (24.9M Total)

Jan 4: 6.5M (2.7M weekdays, 34.1M Total)

Jan 11: 4.9M (2.2M weekdays, 41.2M Total)
Jan 18: 4.5M (1.6M weekdays, 47.3M Total)

Jan 25: 3.5M (1.8M weekdays, 52.6M Total)

Feb 1: 3.2M (1.3M weekdays, 57.1M Total)

Feb 8: 2.3M (1.4M weekdays, 61.8M Total)

Feb 15: 1.5M (700k weekdays, 64M Total)

Feb 22: 1.5M (700k weekdays, 66.2M Total)

Mar 1: 900k (300k weekdays, 67.4M Total)

Final Total: 69M (3.9x from 6 day/8.85x from 3 day)

Wait, you think Vice is going to reach The Big Short numbers despite opening significantly lower (in more theaters, no less) and with a C+ Cinemascore? How does that even work?

12 minutes ago, Manny G said:

It was a modern version of Brodway songs that’s what makes it amazing. The songs are structured like Broadway songs but have a modern twist to them. 

The album is literally in the genre of pop on Wikipedia. This is Me topped both Dance Club and Pop Songs (digital sales) Billboard charts. The music is widely regarded as pop/dance music. The boring music in TGS is not broadway just like Pt Barnum wasn't a nice dude like the movie portrays.

Also, since when did Lady Gaga mainly make ballads and country music?

2 hours ago, BestActressGaga said:

The Star Is Born soundtrack is a global smash, does Warner Bros profit from that? Is it part of the profit they'll make from the movie?

Usually yes people involved will insist for WB to make it part of the profit they make from the movie sadly for them, so a lot of people with participation point will get a share from the movie soundtrack if it get populars, those movie often use a revenues pool to calculate people bonus that will tend to have a lot of item on it (for example if a book use the movie image on it's cover to help sales and so on)

1 hour ago, Neucentro said:

Royalty payment is not a major source of income for most artists. It usually takes a long time for a song's rights to become profitable for songwriters and performers.

It's the record label who owns the rights to the recordings of the soundtrack. Therefore, most of the revenues from sales or streaming go to the record label.

For the credited songwriter it get profitable in a strict enough right away sense no ?

Bakc in the CD days at least, songwriter built retirement from residuals:

Let’s break it down for you. In the making of a CD here are the key players and the percentage of sales that they get, Artist (6.6%) Producer (2.2%) Songwriters (4.5%) Distributor (22%) Manufacturing (5%) Retailer (30%) Record label (30%)

And when you are a big name you can get much better deal than those guild minimum type where the record label get almost 3 times as much as the artist.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The album is literally in the genre of pop on Wikipedia. This is Me topped both Dance Club and Pop Songs (digital sales) Billboard charts. The music is widely regarded as pop/dance music. The boring music in TGS is not broadway just like Pt Barnum wasn't a nice dude like the movie portrays.

Also, since when did Lady Gaga mainly make ballads and country music?

I said what I said, TGS>>>>>>>ASIB and the world agrees with me. Deal with it.

• ...wtf 1

7 minutes ago, Manny G said:

TGS>>>>>>>ASIB and the world agrees with me. Deal with it.

Oh no it doesn't. Watch Shallows get an academy award while poor This is Me got nothing.

On a side note, the fact that This is Me was put alongside Remember Me and Mystery of Love in the Academy awards is disgusting. Mystery of Love especially is much better than that boring schlock.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

If we take out the Thursday previews for Aquaman, the weekend drop for Aquaman would be 10.4% which is slightly better than Jack Reacher's (unless that film also had Thursday previews but I can't find any info on this). Would this help to predict the third-weekend drop for Aquaman? Jack Reacher dropped 32% on its third weekend. 

Mule & Fishman going up is good for WB. Can't see Mule missing $100m, especially with Vice looking soft financially, and with no real competition in terms of adult films for a while; Aquaman looking like O/U $350m domestic rn for me

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

If we take out the Thursday previews for Aquaman, the weekend drop for Aquaman would be 10.4% which is slightly better than Jack Reacher's (unless that film also had Thursday previews but I can't find any info on this). Would this help to predict the third-weekend drop for Aquaman? Jack Reacher dropped 32% on its third weekend. 

National Treasure dropped over 40% and that's a decent comparison as well. We'll need to see the Wed and Thu, but I'm looking at 40%, personally.

15 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

National Treasure dropped over 40% and that's a decent comparison as well. We'll need to see the Wed and Thu, but I'm looking at 40%, personally.

I think it will be closer to 45/50 % like Hobbit on the first week-end of 2013. Film is appreciated but not super-loved, and it will have already made 220/225 by thursday. 

Just now, Newland Archer said:

I think it will be closer to 45/50 % like Hobbit on the first week-end of 2013. Film is appreciated but not super-loved, and it will have already made 220/225 by thursday. 

Hobbit opened a week earlier. So not exactly apples-to-apples. But definitely possible. 50% would be a bit worrisome, but I wouldn't necessarily be shocked - as I said, let's see how it does Wed and Thu.

9 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Hobbit opened a week earlier. So not exactly apples-to-apples. But definitely possible. 50% would be a bit worrisome, but I wouldn't necessarily be shocked - as I said, let's see how it does Wed and Thu.

Worrisome not really, film is already an undisputable hit. But I'm maybe biased against Aquaman, it looks like such a tacky mess to me that I have trouble seeing a leggy run after holidays.

• Knock It Off 2

1 minute ago, Newland Archer said:

Worrisome not really, film is already an undisputable hit. But I'm maybe biased against Aquaman, it looks like such a tacky mess to me that I have trouble seeing a leggy run after holidays.

It's already proven to be leggy in most markets, and its holds during the holidays have been very good. Nothing about it is indicative of a post-holiday collapse. 50% would be worrisome - I'm looking for it to surpass Deadpool 2

2 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

It's already proven to be leggy in most markets, and its holds during the holidays have been very good. Nothing about it is indicative of a post-holiday collapse. 50% would be worrisome - I'm looking for it to surpass Deadpool 2

In most markets it opened during the holidays which is why it's been leggy in most markets.  The (enormous in all respects) exception is China

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I have no skin in the game, I don't care how high it goes from now.  It's assured to reach 300 domestic, 900 WW, with a distinct possibility of reaching 1 billion: much more than I would have expected from an Entourage joke gone real, especially one toplined by Jason Momoa and Amber heard 😉