AdamKendall

Weekend Thread 12/28-12/30 AQM 51.5 MPR 28 BB 20.5 ITSV 18.3

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

For the credited songwriter it get profitable in a strict enough right away sense no ?

Bakc in the CD days at least, songwriter built retirement from residuals:

Let’s break it down for you. In the making of a CD here are the key players and the percentage of sales that they get, Artist (6.6%) Producer (2.2%) Songwriters (4.5%) Distributor (22%) Manufacturing (5%) Retailer (30%) Record label (30%)

And when you are a big name you can get much better deal than those guild minimum type where the record label get almost 3 times as much as the artist.

The artist receives much less than 6.6% in reality.

An artist under contract has to use royalty money to cover most of the costs in recording, promotion and touring, and to repay advance payment to the label. I remember reading that 150,000 copies of CDs have to be sold before actual royalty payment begins to accrue to the artist.

Edited by Neucentro

So, took the boys and spouse to Grinch this morning - that was a perfect way to end a Christmas season and get ready for New Years...and now the grades:)...

Me - B/B-

- Pros: The best use of so much Christmas music in a movie.  Loved the God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen skit.  Great use of comedy slapstick and pratfalls - my older son could not stop laughing.  Evoked the spirit of the animated special and always made you feel good!

- Cons: VERY slight movie.  Ending peters out, rather than ending in something good.  Big story line not actually resolved in the movie.  

Spouse - B/B+ - shares my thoughts, but even happier coming out of the theater (and he's an easier grader:)

Oldest son - A+ and the funniest movie he's ever seen.  This A+ was higher than Aquaman's A+:).

Youngest son - A- - He wasn't 100% (since he was getting over a virus this weekend), so the pratfall and slapstick comedy wasn't hitting as high with him.

Perfect use of Atom's T-Mobile Xmas deal for this movie.  Hopefully, I get a lot more of these deals in 2019:).

PS - And I can see why this legged out so well...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/don-lusk-dead-pinocchio-fantasia-charlie-brown-animator-was-105-1172027

Don Lusk, Animator on 'Pinocchio,' 'Fantasia' and Charlie Brown Specials, Dies at 105

Almost 80 years later even in crappy 480p it's still stunning

They don't do animation as good as this anymore. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/don-lusk-dead-pinocchio-fantasia-charlie-brown-animator-was-105-1172027

Don Lusk, Animator on 'Pinocchio,' 'Fantasia' and Charlie Brown Specials, Dies at 105

Almost 80 years later even in crappy 480p it's still stunning

Fantasia is my favourite animated movie ever. This sucks.

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

For the credited songwriter it get profitable in a strict enough right away sense no ?

Bakc in the CD days at least, songwriter built retirement from residuals:

Let’s break it down for you. In the making of a CD here are the key players and the percentage of sales that they get, Artist (6.6%) Producer (2.2%) Songwriters (4.5%) Distributor (22%) Manufacturing (5%) Retailer (30%) Record label (30%)

And when you are a big name you can get much better deal than those guild minimum type where the record label get almost 3 times as much as the artist.

http://www.ibtimes.com.au/meghan-trainor-broke-despite-all-about-bass-success-1416634

Artists don't make a lot of money off music, or at least can't rely on it to pay their bills. 

They mostly get money from touring (still music related) or endorsements. We see high profile artists releasing new music as an excuse to tour again (like Madonna, Beyonce, Taylor Swift) or to keep their name somewhat relevant for their perfumes/makeups/clothing lines (Britney, Rihanna, JLo, Katy Perry, etc)

Also, labels keep pushing upcoming artists so they can keep paying them pennies, which they wouldn't be able to do to a household name. It sucks but that's how the industry works now. 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

Just saw that Escape Room is opening at 4:00pm on Thursday. It's got time for 3 regular showtimes at 4, 7, and 10. Ridiculous. That's basically a full Thursday, only missing a noon matinee. And yet that almost full Thursday is going to be counted as Friday.

Down with Hollywood!

I'm tired of their assault on the calendar and the space-time continuum!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sfran43 said:

I'm guessing Vice isn't even going to break even with those sort of numbers and that sort of budget. Annapurna very likely fucked up the last chance they had with making profitable movies. They showed have lowered the budget for Vice and focused their marketing on Beale Street which could have made much more than Vice if marketed well. Wouldn't be surprised if they close down after Missing Link (which will flop too because it is stop motion animation). Even Larry Ellison couldn't fix the damn company because of the dumb mistakes made by his daughter. Too bad. They had an amazing run making amazing films.

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

Annapurna will be around as long as Megan Ellison is interested in making movies. 

Having deep pockets certainly helps to cover losses. I suspect Annapurna might go back to being a production company or financier rather than try and be a studio. 

In the case of Vice, I suspect they've already sold the foreign rights so they'll likely made a good chunk of the budget back.