AniNate

The Good Dinosaur | Peter Sohn | BR/DVD release 2-23-2016 | Pixar's first BO flop

16 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

When is the review embargo going to be lifted for this?

It's been lifted for three days now. At least four major publications have written reviews for it. Most reviews won't be coming until later this week though. 

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Telemachos said:

True, I just didn't think BOLT elevated itself in any way to be considered "great".

Well, vastly underrated doesn't always mean great. 

I do think that Bolt attempts a few interesting things that I didn't expect, such as the critique of the way Disney Channel stars are treated and utilized... in a movie from Disney, starring one of the Disney Channel stars. It may not be the most in depth critique, but it's a surprising addition. Especially since the film was pulled back a lot from Chris Sanders' original plan. 

(Hmm... okay now that I think down that line, comparing TGD to Bolt makes a lot of sense.)

1 hour ago, damienroc said:

Well, vastly underrated doesn't always mean great. 

I do think that Bolt attempts a few interesting things that I didn't expect, such as the critique of the way Disney Channel stars are treated and utilized... in a movie from Disney, starring one of the Disney Channel stars. It may not be the most in depth critique, but it's a surprising addition. Especially since the film was pulled back a lot from Chris Sanders' original plan. 

Was it mentioned that Bolt was specifically critiquing the Disney Channel? It just seemed to me that it was a general (and mild) critical look at the entertainment industry and its treatment of living beings as replaceable commodities (which... is also true of almost every other industry so it is not really saying much). 

Gorgeous film. Entertaining, but definitely not as good as Inside Out. This won't shatter any best animation records. Kinda disappointed, but not really surprising given the issues with production.

Visually its insane. A must see if you like to see beautiful environments. 

B

Edited by BoxOfficeZ
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Telemachos said:

True, I just didn't think BOLT elevated itself in any way to be considered "great".

Yeah this is how I feel. Watched Bolt earlier this year, first time since '08 and man its pedestrian. It's not a loveable mess like Robinsons, it's not great yet underrated like Princess and the Frog and it's not godawful like Chicken Little. 

Out of all of those mid-to-late-2000s WDAS movies, this one is just kinda... there.

7 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I don't recall much of Bolt, though I resaw a couple of scenes not to long ago and it really fucking reminded of Deathly Hallows Part 1

In that both were movies released in theaters?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Was it mentioned that Bolt was specifically critiquing the Disney Channel? It just seemed to me that it was a general (and mild) critical look at the entertainment industry and its treatment of living beings as replaceable commodities (which... is also true of almost every other industry so it is not really saying much). 

Is it mentioned in the film? No. But given the prevalence of Disney Channel among child stars, it's hard for me to read it as anything less than that. There are other fun entertainment industry bits as well, but that's a specific highlight. 

9 hours ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Gorgeous film. Entertaining, but definitely not as good as Inside Out. This won't shatter any best animation records. Kinda disappointed, but not really surprising given the issues with production.

Visually, it's insane. A must see if you like to see beautiful environments. 

B

YJf5DXj.gif

9 hours ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Visually its insane. A must see if you like to see beautiful environments. 

B

Sounds like we're basically in agreement.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I'm looking at these clips and I'm just really not getting a Cars or even a Bugs Life vibe at all. Humor seems a lot more incidental and doesn't insist upon itself

I guess I should clarify myself somewhat. It reminded me of CARS in how it took a conceit and shaped it into a genre that, while interesting, doesn't always make the most sense. (For cars, it's the concept of CARS as sentient beings with their own human-mimicking culture, minus the humans. For GOOD DINOSAUR, it's sentient dinosaurs essentially enacting a 1940s or 1950s western.) It reminded me of BUG'S LIFE in terms of softer, more colorful, more childlike creature design.

• Like 1

I'm not expecting Inside Out quality from it, that wouldn't be fair. Expecting Inside Out quality is like expecting every Spielberg film to be Schindler's List quality.

I do think it looks good though, A Bug's Life or Cars level wouldnt be that much of a disappointment. Id be disappointed with MU, Cars 2, or Brave quality.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I'm looking at these clips and I'm just really not getting a Cars or even a Bugs Life vibe at all. Humor seems a lot more incidental and doesn't insist upon itself

I guess I should clarify myself somewhat. It reminded me of CARS in how it took a conceit and shaped it into a genre that, while interesting, doesn't always make the most sense. (For cars, it's the concept of CARS as sentient beings with their own human-mimicking culture, minus the humans. For GOOD DINOSAUR, it's sentient dinosaurs essentially enacting a 1940s or 1950s western.) It reminded me of BUG'S LIFE in terms of softer, more colorful, more childlike creature design.

I guess I just buy this more than most. It reminds me of Rango's conceit somewhat