Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

One of the most exciting sequences in this has no stuntwork, no expensive over the top spectacle, no chases, no explosions - just top of the line spycraft with a perfect understanding of dramatic storytelling fundamentals. The biggest confidence boost I've ever had about the Cruise/McQuarrie reign - they don't even need their spectacular stunts to be the best at this.

That's awesome to hear. Great spycraft and the action is just icing on the cake.

I'm going to have to defend Rogue Nation as being the best in the series. The opera scene stands right next to the CIA vault sequence in the original as peak espionage action. The two are polar opposites in terms of sound design, but both represent the best of both. Multiple conflicts in one limited space conveyed through near perfect cinematic geography.

Beyond that, the film doesn't truly take a break until the third act in London. The way they wrapped up the ending was the most satisfying to me. How it all comes full circle for Lane and Ethan in a glass cage was a nice feather in the cap.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I don’t use the first trilogy whatsoever (1 is one of the most unnecessarily convoluted popcorn flicks ever, 2 is throwaway Hollywood cash grab sequel, and 3 is utterly forgettable in every way), but the second trilogy is remarkable in its genre. 

think GP still takes the title because every part of that movie is vividly memorable and the plot is intriguing but with a nice thread of simplicity. 6 maybe slightly over 5, just bc 5 has less memorable sequences and veers a little too close to 1s convoluted territory at times (though navigates it way more successfully).

If this one and pt 2 really do live up to them, it will be the most impressive 5 film stretch of a franchise I can think of. 

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I don’t use the first trilogy whatsoever (1 is one of the most unnecessarily convoluted popcorn flicks ever, 2 is throwaway Hollywood cash grab sequel, and 3 is utterly forgettable in every way), but the second trilogy is remarkable in its genre. 

think GP still takes the title because every part of that movie is vividly memorable and the plot is intriguing but with a nice thread of simplicity. 6 maybe slightly over 5, just bc 5 has less memorable sequences and veers a little too close to 1s convoluted territory at times (though navigates it way more successfully).

If this one and pt 2 really do live up to them, it will be the most impressive 5 film stretch of a franchise I can think of. 

I kinda thought the same until rewatch.

MI1 is a tad bit convoluted but makes a lot of sense piecing it together on rewatch.

I didn't want to rewatch MI2 lol.

MI3 had the hostage escape sequence around the windmills, the bridge explosion, the interrogation cold open (which is threaded into the story later), and the thrilleresque 3rd act to cap it off. Very memorable to me. Also has a meaningful love interest and the IMF is explored a little more.

• Like 2

I saw Fallout in 2018, then have watched the rest of these films in the past few months. As a first-timer (who will rewatch Fallout before Dead Reckoning), my ranking is:

1. Fallout

2. Ghost Protocol

3. Mission: Impossible

4. Rogue Nation

5. Mission: Impossible 3

6. Mission: Impossible 2

Rogue Nation's cold open was super underwhelming. Cool stunt, but it's over in a flash and doesn't add anything substantive. Ghost Protocol's cold open is a banger and also ties into the third act later with a nice moment for Sergei, while also utilizing way cooler tech, better humor, and a better central setpiece via the Burj Khalifa. The Opera House, underwater heist, motorcycle chase, and Rebecca Ferguson are all peak though.

It's a solid 8/10, I just ultimately didn't love the script the way I do in Fallout and Ghost Protocol. For me, 1 and Rogue Nation are neck and neck - I just think RN is a bit more disappointing coming off of GP. Its action is clearly better, but there's something about De Palma's style that just sings.

Fallout is just a masterclass all around, one of the best action movies ever made.

Edited by Dragoncaine

MI1 is a film I appreciate more and more because we're never getting another one like it. I cherish all the De Palma-isms and the Langley heist is iconic. 

I think people forget that the bulk of MI2's runtime is Thandiwe Newton being undercover with Dougray Scott and Ethan pining from a distance. It's a real slog, only becoming a great John Woo action film in the last half hour. 

MI3 was like an adrenaline shot to the heart after that. Absolutely non stop and hyperactive in all the right ways. I want JJ to make another blockbuster so bad, don't tell anyone. 

Ghost Protocol was always my favourite. Brad Bird is just so playful with the set pieces, he's such an adept visual storyteller and I love a dysfunctional team coming together. Very lacking in the villain department though. 

Rogue Nation might have the best story of the lot and Ilsa is the best addition to the franchise. Like others have said the Opera set piece is perfect. Simon Pegg really came to play as well, good showing for Benji. 

Fallout has some truly unbelievable action, the bathroom fight and the entire Paris section are just all timers. It's just a little too melancholy for my tastes (4+5 had the perfect tone).

I could easily have 3-6 just running on rotation, the consistency in quality for this franchise is insane. 

Edited by FilmFincher

19 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

MI3 is great. Especially this scene:

My favourite part is the force with how the sticks snap in Ethans mouth during the electric shock. It really sells how brutal it is. 

My favourite scene is the building jump, the actual pendulum swing in the middle is so-so because it gets too green screeny, but the build up is stellar, Giacchino's music especially, and then the slide after. The clip is missing the great establishing shot as well where it starts as wide of the city and comes right into Cruise's face.

Edited by FilmFincher

37 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Just to add to my comment. MI3 doesn't get enough credit for essentially laying the groundwork that Bird and McQuarrie would build on to take the series to it's heights.

That's the only credit it deserves. That and PSH. That's it. It's a dud otherwise.

I think ive done rankings of these before a bunch of times but I kinda feel like they're impossible to rank for me at this point except for 2 being the worst (I like it, but it doesn't feel like MI to me). They're just so fun to watch and that's all that matters for me at this point.

9 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I think ive done rankings of these before a bunch of times but I kinda feel like they're impossible to rank for me at this point except for 2 being the worst (I like it, but it doesn't feel like MI to me). They're just so fun to watch and that's all that matters for me at this point.

Yep 2 my least favorite and I still love it.