Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

6 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Nicholas Hoult was supposed to play Gabriel. That really shows how much MCQ and Cruise change things while making these movies. Without spoiling that character's  story and his relation to Ethan  it would have been completely different. 

yeah not sure how that would work, maybe

Spoiler

the son of one of the killed off team members from the first Mission Impossible, that somehow blamed Ethan

8 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Hide contents

the son of one of the killed off team members from the first Mission Impossible, that somehow blamed Ethan

Spoiler

Jim Phelps and Claire had a son that has been stewing for 27 years since he was five or something.  Vin Diesel would have done it. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Hide contents

that’s some fast n furious shit

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

The dude who played the villain, I don't know his other work but he had the vibe of a soap opera actor or something. they really couldn't get a bigger name for that part?

He's good in Ozark. Very menacing and has a strong presence in the show.

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

The dude who played the villain, I don't know his other work but he had the vibe of a soap opera actor or something. they really couldn't get a bigger name for that part?

Funny enough, it was initially Nicholas Hoult

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/nicholas-hoult-why-dropped-out-mission-impossible-1235375211/

Which doesn't make sense for plot reasons, given Hoult is currently 33 years old...

5 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Funny enough, it was initially Nicholas Hoult

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/nicholas-hoult-why-dropped-out-mission-impossible-1235375211/

Which doesn't make sense for plot reasons, given Hoult is currently 33 years old...

McQuarrie will be honest in every interview that they map out the big set pieces early and just make up the entire plot as they go. that character was probably completely different at one point.

Edited by CoolioD1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

McQuarrie will be honest in every interview that they map out the big set pieces early and just make up the entire plot as they go. that character was probably completely different at one point.

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

The submarine stuff was supposed to open Part Two, my guess is that they came up with a new intro for Part Two and moved this to Part One instead.

41 minutes ago, Algebra said:

The more I think about DR1, the more get irked.

It deserves to make less than Fallout

There are three 20-30 minute chase/action sequences in this, plus smaller fist fights and little segments interspersed in between, so I'm not sure how one of your criticisms - a lack of action - holds water

Edited by Dragoncaine

I see some saying they prefer John Wick 4 to this because there is a lot more action as much as I love that movie the problem I had with it was it  got really tiring and repetitive by the end. Why I prefer this to JW 4 is beause it slows down and paces the action scenes and builds suspense and the action scenes when they do come all feel different from each other. Both are great though and along with Extraction 2 on Netflix are the cream of the crop for action this year. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

There are three 20-30 minute chase/action sequences in this, plus smaller fist fights and little segments interspersed in between, so I'm not sure how one of your criticisms - a lack of action - holds water

I think what I mean is that Mcquarrie loves capturing the action in wide frames and doesn't use cuts, to emphasize the action and the stunt performance...reason why Fallout and RN are S-tier.

This one though has so much intercutting between different scenes during key action sequences that it was taking me out.

Then the bike jump. The buildup to that was so long drawn out and felt jarring. Remember how much amped you got during the buildup of the HALO jump in Fallout. And when Cruise finally jumped, the scene played out in full without cutting to other characters. 

The Venice chase scene is another good one. I want uninterrupted shots of Cruise running with great background music like the one in Fallout. If you're cutting to other characters so frequently in the middle of Cruise running, I am just not feeling it!