filmlover

91st Academy Awards - Discussion thread - RACISM IS OVER, THANKS GREEN BOOK

1 minute ago, TMP said:

Nick V. said Muslims celebrated the towers going down during 9/11. I don't know how that's not bigoted.

Actually, there was a fair bit of even-handed research done into this. Turns out, while there weren't thousands of Muslims celebrating in the streets, there almost certainly were Muslims celebrating it in NJ and news stories reporting on it.

https://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2015/12/exclusive_jersey_city_cop_residents_say_some_musli.html

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I know, but now Trump is going to tweet about the Oscars.

Spike Lee has build a career long credential to do that kind of move, with someone like him there is no: Look at that person trying to get PR and attention doing this mixed with a long build up respect, being older help also a lot.

9 minutes ago, Spagspiria said:

If it makes you feel any better GREEN BOOK isn't a very good movie even if I agreed with its message.

It is a really well crafted movie imo, it got a A+ cinemascore and will make what around 15 time it's opening weekend ? for a reason.

8 minutes ago, Wrath said:

Actually, there was a fair bit of even-handed research done into this. Turns out, while there weren't thousands of Muslims celebrating in the streets, there almost certainly were Muslims celebrating it in NJ and news stories reporting on it.

https://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2015/12/exclusive_jersey_city_cop_residents_say_some_musli.html

“Accounts of celebrations in Jersey City and Paterson, both of which have large Arab-American and Muslim populations, spread quickly in the days after the attacks. Most accounts have been debunked.”

5 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

A Star Is Born was the smartest career decision Gaga has done so far. She will have a long and prestigious career especially compared to other early 10's pop stars who are either dead by now or will be in max 5 years.

She is extremely talented so it is well deserved. I feel like she'd always have a continued career maybe not as a huge pop star, but very acclaimed because she of her song writing abilities.