filmlover

Best Supporting Actor Predictions 2019

This category is the biggest mystery to me, at least right now. There are a lot of films like The Irishman and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and so on and so forth that have buzzworthy candidates within their ensembles.

I think Shia Labeouf's turn in Honey Boy, the Sundance film he's responsible for writing, could benefit from the narrative he's set for himself. Amazon has power in the aspect of getting nominations, so I wouldn't count him out.

Christian Bale gets Supporting Actor nominations every so often, so he could finding himself in the running for Ford V. Ferrari.

Donald Sutherland and Tommy Lee Jones have roles in Ad Astra so they might be in the mix, too.

I dunno about this one...

On 7/3/2019 at 4:00 PM, Nas said:

The Playlist has a list: https://theplaylist.net/2020-supporting-actor-predictions-20190703/

Based on that, my first prediction is:  

Christian Bale, “Ford v.Ferrari”  

Willem Dafoe, “The Lighthouse”  

Jamie Bell, “Rocketman”  

Joe Alwyn, “Harriet”  

Al Pacino - The Irishman

Wait why the fuck is Taron Egerton considered for Supporting Actor in Rocketman?!

thinking tom hanks wins this. apparently a supporting performance in Neighborhood and he's getting real raves like he hasn't gotten in ages. the narrative of him playing mr rogers is a strong one. seems like Brad pitt, jamie foxx, anthony hopkins will factor in as well. no idea for #5 maybe someone from the irishman.

Edited by CoolioD1

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

thinking tom hanks wins this. apparently a supporting performance in Neighborhood and he's getting real raves like he hasn't gotten in ages. the narrative of him playing mr rogers is a strong one. seems like Brad pitt, jamie foxx, anthony hopkins will factor in as well. no idea for #5 maybe someone from the irishman.

Another list I am matching Coolio on. I'm in on Alan Alda for now as my fifth nominee until we get more from the Irishman, but he's clearly overshadowed in that movie by three other people himself. If they do push Bale supporting, that makes this list rather easy. Otherwise, maybe Brown gets in if Waves takes off? We will also hear about Taika today.

16 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'm in on Alan Alda for now as my fifth nominee until we get more from the Irishman, but he's clearly overshadowed in that movie by three other people himself.

I actually assume if anything being in a movie with three sure bets is gonna help him a la Jacki Weaver in SLP/Cooper in American Hustle. 

• Like 1

Bradley Pittsburgh 

Tom Hanks

Anthony Hopkins

Al PacinHoo Ha

Christian Bale

I think Hanks' snubs in recent memory make me cautious for him winning, so I'm going with the Pitt. Maybe I'm biased though since that's my favorite film of the year, idk

Alan Alda, Marriage Story

Sterling K. Brown, Waves

Tom Hanks, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Anthony Hopkins, The Two Popes

Brad Pitt, Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood

This category is actually stacked this year. Certain to be revisions down the road.

• Like 1

This might be the most intriguing category of the big 8 right now for me; so many iconic actors in contention for highly praised work. I'd love for Pacino to win a 2nd Oscar for a performance in a movie that is actually acclaimed this time, but he doesn't necessarily stretch himself to any great extent - he is just doing what he does best. Pitt winning his first acting Oscar for that role in OUATIH would be quite strange to me but also pretty amazing. Hanks is the other strong contender here of course, can't wait to see that performance and that film in general in December.

• Like 1

Gonna yell this into the void before word comes in a few days: Chalamet will get a nod here for Little Women.

Part of this is the stan talking, but I think there's a good shot. Him and Ronan were on the cover of EW, and the Vanity Fair article a while back talked a lot about the Jo-Beth-Laurie relationship. Of course, that also depends on the movie really delivering (like top-tier in the Best Picture race), but it's not that crazy, right?

50 minutes ago, Eric Addams said:

Gonna yell this into the void before word comes in a few days: Chalamet will get a nod here for Little Women.

Part of this is the stan talking, but I think there's a good shot. Him and Ronan were on the cover of EW, and the Vanity Fair article a while back talked a lot about the Jo-Beth-Laurie relationship. Of course, that also depends on the movie really delivering (like top-tier in the Best Picture race), but it's not that crazy, right?

He came perilously close to an afterglow nomination last year for a total no1curr movie so on paper it doesn't seem that wild. That said, I'm struggling to think of any actor turning Laurie into an Oscar caliber role unless Gerwig made the role a lot more interesting than when even Bale played the part at around the same age Chalamet is today.

23 minutes ago, nghtvsn said:

Dafoe needs to be in this or BA. 

He's being pushed by the studio in this category, which is very competitive, so it'll be tough to get a nomination though I think he has an outside shot.

• Like 1