MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

1 hour ago, ZeroHour said:

I think this film has a lot of the same issues The Marvels had. It's a sequel to a movie people thought was fine but didn't really love. It's a character that people aren't really passionate about. It's connections to a larger franchise aren't doing it any favors at the moment. And worst of all, the behind the scenes drama has so far eclipsed the marketing campaign.

I thought Aquaman was bloated and overrated. Decent, but nothing great at all. However, most people definitely enjoyed it.

1 hour ago, ZeroHour said:

I think this film has a lot of the same issues The Marvels had. It's a sequel to a movie people thought was fine but didn't really love. It's a character that people aren't really passionate about. It's connections to a larger franchise aren't doing it any favors at the moment. And worst of all, the behind the scenes drama has so far eclipsed the marketing campaign.

I'm still shocked Aquaman's connection to Justice League clearly helped the film instead of dragging it down. 

5 hours ago, Arlborn said:

I've noticed the exact same, there's literally only that one shot of her from the first trailer in all of the promotional material. They really left the romance aside and decided to focus only on the bromance.

I don't think it makes financial sense, so I wonder how toxic that workplace was for them to decide to just ditch the romance like this, which really was one of the selling points of the first movie, especially to the ladies.

WB literally tried and failed to fire Heard on a fairly thin pretext. I don't think there's really much need for speculation. But even beyond on set drama, reporting about exhibits from Depp-Heard trial seems to explicitly say that WB saw fallout from the trial (which got mainstream news coverage) as a major potential problem for the film thus triggering an attempted media blackout. You could probably tell a story of exec focus or toxic workplace focus with available information but both seem clearly to be true.  

I don’t understand who WB thinks they’re appealing to in regards to downplaying Mera at every turn. The Johnny Depp stans and MRA’s who hate her guts probably weren’t going to legally watch this anyway, and by actively downplaying her presence, they’re just going to turn away the people who like the character and/or support Amber Heard.

It reminds me of how desperate J.J. Abrams was to win back the people who hated TLJ, even though most of those people ultimately still hated TRoS anyway. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t understand who WB thinks they’re appealing to in regards to downplaying Mera at every turn. The Johnny Depp stans and MRA’s who hate her guts probably weren’t going to legally watch this anyway, and by actively downplaying her presence, they’re just going to turn away the people who like the character and/or support Amber Heard.

It reminds me of how desperate J.J. Abrams was to win back the people who hated TLJ, even though most of those people ultimately still hated TRoS anyway. 

Polls have repeatedly shown that far more Americans sided with Depp than Heard. Downplaying Heard in the marketing is a sound and sensible decision. Heard defenders only exist in social media bubbles.

• Like 6
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

Polls have repeatedly shown that far more Americans sided with Depp than Heard. Downplaying Heard in the marketing is a sound and sensible decision. Heard defenders only exist in social media bubbles.

Really? How interesting. I don't actually know who most people over here(not American) who care about it at all sided with, but I do know that the people I'm close with mostly think both of them suck and/or lean more towards Heard than Depp.

3 hours ago, Bob Train said:

They really don’t, but again, as I already stated, the Depp stans weren’t going to watch this movie anyway, so trying to pander to them is hopeless. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 1

Honestly Amber Heard put in a horrific performance in the first one and didn't have an ounce of chemistry with ultra charismatic Jason Momoa. Nobody would miss her presence in the film even if she had no personal life baggage. Nicole Kidman completely overpowered her. She was like Katie Holmes in Batman Begins, feeling totally out of place. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1

Fuck them!

I'm so happy I continue to educate myself on intimate partner violence and domestic abuse, and that I was able to weed out the misinformation. ❤️

The only reason I was going to watch was for Amber, but I guess I'll just continue to plan on watching In The Fire and whatever else she does in the future.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

It would be funny to compare the sales of the first CBM of the year (Quantumania) to the sales of the last CBM of the year (Aquaman 2) just to see the absolute superhero collapse that took place in one calendar year.

Since sales are ~30% of Marvels which were ~40% of GOTG 3 which were ~75% of Quantumania I'm guessing sales are ~10% of Quantumania.

No Way Abandon Thread GIF

Edited by HummingLemon496

13 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Honestly Amber Heard put in a horrific performance in the first one and didn't have an ounce of chemistry with ultra charismatic Jason Momoa. Nobody would miss her presence in the film even if she had no personal life baggage. Nicole Kidman completely overpowered her. She was like Katie Holmes in Batman Begins, feeling totally out of place. 

My god. Is that Katie Holmes disrespect? I’m lost for words. The Dark Knight would’ve been more believable with Holmes as the FL. If it wasn’t for Tom Cruise…..

1 hour ago, Claire of Themyscira said:

Fuck them!

I'm so happy I continue to educate myself on intimate partner violence and domestic abuse, and that I was able to weed out the misinformation. ❤️

The only reason I was going to watch was for Amber, but I guess I'll just continue to plan on watching In The Fire and whatever else she does in the future.

Yeah, she's an innocent fawn in the woods. 

13 minutes ago, Maggie said:

A bit off topic, but if Aquaman 2 flops too, what does that mean about The Marvels flop? It was not because people didn't like Captain Marvel, but more because of a cultural shift in the movie industry. Cape movies are over

It means people don't have interest in Aquaman anymore (like they don't have interest in Captain Marvel). I'm pretty sure a really popular superhero could attract more attention.

Now, it's possible that Aquaman 2 has an OW under Blue Beetle. So, I don't think Cape movies are over is really the answer.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Kon said:

It means people don't have interest in Aquaman anymore (like they don't have interest in Captain Marvel). I'm pretty sure a really popular superhero could attract more attention.

Now, it's possible that Aquaman 2 has an OW under Blue Beetle. So, I don't think Cape movies are over is really the answer.

On this note, this may sound like a moronic doom-diction but if reviews and CinemaScore are truly awful (~40/B), I would not rule out sub-Blue Beetle domestic with a $20M/$70M sorta run. If word of mouth is bad and interest is already low, then people will just skip even if it is the holidays.