chasmmi

The top 106 Movie Songs Countdown 2019 Edition, because 106 is best number

98th place: 94 points (2 votes, 2 top 5) 

Tradition - fiddler on the roof

I... don't know what this is. I mean I am now pretty confident that Fiddler on the roof must be about 6 hours long if every song is 7 minutes long and there are at least 8 of them in the film considering how many songs received at least one vote. 5 of those songs received only the 1 vote. The other three received either two or three (often high scoring) votes. However none of the films managed to break 100 points. 

This is one of the two songs to make the top 100 with only 2 votes to its name. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

97th place: 94 points (6 votes)

Born to Be Wild - Easy Rider

A song and scene that was MAGA-ing long before that was a thing that people thought they were doing. This song is proof that the Justice League Villain is much better of recording cool rock songs for 50 year old films than fighting sentient moustaches. 

This song squeezed into the top 100 right at the death, but it is a classic movie song, so history will probably mark that stat as a good thing. 

• Like 7

96th place: 95 points (8 votes)

Goldfinger - Goldfinger

As James Bond makes his first (and possibly last) bow in this countdown, we are treated to the second best Bond theme with Gold in the title, which was the theme to the second best Bond film with Gold in the title.

That is also the third film in a row to be hovering around the 50 year old mark and possibly a positive sign for the @Telemachoss of this world that they may receive some representation. 

• Like 6

95th place: 96 points (3 votes, 1 first. )

If I were a Rich Man

That's two Fiddler on the Roof songs and two occasions of not being quite sure if this is a deluge of 4th wall breaking on a Deadpool scale, or just your regular chatting to one's creator God. 

This song is by far the most famous from Fiddler and the one that most people are likely to have heard even if they don't know the origin. It is also the song that first gives you a glimpse of the reality behind this lead character and how he is in fact a total psychopath. 

He wants to trap people in a house where the floor gradient is so skewed, the down staircase is longer than the up one. He even proposes a desolate stairway to nowhere. A kind of limbo world where climbers are faced with a choice to either spend the rest of their days atop a staircase, or take a leap of faith down into the abyss below. 

He wants to create a riotous cacophony of birdlife, purefy to fuck off his neighbours and  increasing local risk of avian flew by 1450%. He is a menace and hopefully his dastardly plan was thwarted at the climax of the film.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chasmmi said:

98th place: 94 points (2 votes, 2 top 5) 

Tradition - fiddler on the roof

I... don't know what this is. I mean I am now pretty confident that Fiddler on the roof must be about 6 hours long if every song is 7 minutes long and there are at least 8 of them in the film considering how many songs received at least one vote. 5 of those songs received only the 1 vote. The other three received either two or three (often high scoring) votes. However none of the films managed to break 100 points. 

This is one of the two songs to make the top 100 with only 2 votes to its name. 

Fiddler is only 3 hours, so no excuse for not watching the best musical of all time.

3 minutes ago, Tower said:

Damn right I did.

I was kind of saying that a little bit sarcastically. I know everyone has different tastes in film and music and so on. Just like I'm sure you would have the same reaction when you found out that I voted for if you leave from pretty in Pink as number one.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Go figure - someone voting for an iconic song and performance from one of the best musicals.    It wasn't #1 for me but it's on my list. 

I wasn't really being serious. 😉

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

I was kind of saying that a little bit sarcastically. I know everyone has different tastes in film and music and so on. Just like I'm sure you would have the same reaction when you found out that I voted for if you leave from pretty in Pink as number one.

I hadn't even heard of that film until you mentioned it earlier in this thread so I can't really have an opinion about it. however, the description doesn't make it seem very interesting.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Tower said:

I hadn't even heard of that film until you mentioned it earlier in this thread so I can't really have an opinion about it. however, the description doesn't make it seem very interesting.

Well we grew up in very different parts of the world.  John Hughes movies ruled my youth and that was one of the best uses of song in film history, imo of course. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, baumer said:

Well we grew up in very different parts of the world.  John Hughes movies ruled my youth and that was one of the best uses of song in film history, imo of course. 

You're lucky I didn't vote in this...I'd have put Oh Pretty Woman from Pretty Woman in my Top 10 for the same "iconic movie moment from my youth":)...including the "big mistake" moment:)...

• Like 1

I am wondering if anyone put “You Make My Dreams” from Hall & Oates on their list due to its inclusion in 500 Days of Summer. I tried to stick to original songs but there have been countless terrific uses in movies of previously released songs.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

You're lucky I didn't vote in this...I'd have put Oh Pretty Woman from Pretty Woman in my Top 10 for the same "iconic movie moment from my youth":)...including the "big mistake" moment:)...

Big mistake....BIG! is the best line in the movie.🙂

• Like 1

94th place: 96 points (4 votes)

Every Sperm is Sacred - The Meaning of Life

And now we move on to the song that proved once and for all that Catholics are just better people than Protestants. In what must surely be the greatest ode to sperm ever penned, Monty Python produced an opening song that is pretty much solely responsible for the only things you can remember from The Meaning of Life is a fat man exploding and John Cleese fornicating in front of a room of schoolboys. 

Onan would be proud. 

• Like 5

93rd place: 96 points (5 votes, 1 top 10)

I See the Light - Tangled

Disney's animated remake of 'Hair!' scored rather better in this list than the original musical. Despite being only the third best song from Tangled, it is by far the highest scoring in this vote dwarfing the 8 points scored by the far superior When will my Life Begin and also the super depressing 2 points scored by the wonderful 'I Have a Dream. (Oh and Mother Knows Best also scored 2 points). 

So it took 14 entries to get our first Disney song. will it take more or less than that for the next one to show up?

• Like 5
  • Disbelief 1

92nd place: 97 points (5 votes)

Jai Ho - Slumdog Millionaire

So this is the best we can manage as a Bollywood entry? @grim22 should ban the lot of you!!!

To be fair, I do like this song, but I wish there were a few bollywood enthusiasts out there that would have shown some love to Kal Ho Na Ho, Pretty Woman, Chaiya Chaiya, Yeh Lurkhi Hai Diwana, and so on.

Anyway Slumdog Slumdog, slumdog. Yes Slumdog Millionaire was an Oscary film that had a song at the end and there were trains involved. that is all good, but if you really want a good train song...

• Like 6

Joint 90th place: 97 points (5 votes, 1 top 10)

Make Em Laugh - Singing in the Rain

When a song like this hits a poll like this, the first it does is confirm one thing: That that one thing from the film you'd expect to make the list must surely be yet to come if the less famous bit/person/song/scene has managed it this high. 

One thing of note is that not a drop of rain falls during this whole performance and that is just clear false advertising from the film. Also at about the 3 minute mark, I think we see the moment where the actor himself has a psychotic break but the director, instead of calling in the medical authorities, just decides 'Fuck it, keep filming and let's see where this goes'. 

Joint 90th place: 97 points (5 votes, 1 top 10)

Johnny B. Goode - Back to the Future

The best song, from the best film in the Best Trilogy, was also the song that showed that Michael J Fox had a great Chuck Berry impression hidden inside of him. Frankly it is on a par with Malek's Mercury as spot on recreations go. 

Yes there are others that prefer the other major song from the soundtrack to this one and only time will tell if that came in higher or lower. But I personally do prefer this scene at the end, and thus this is my personal favourite of the two. Others are of course free to be wrong as it is a free country, what this is a forum not a country. I need to check... @Water Bottle, are people allowed to have wrong opinions here concerning which song is the better song from Back to the Future. 

We'll soon have this cleared up. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1